Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: kickass scout motor

kickass scout motor

here is what scout motors should look like. This is my friend Johann Cox's Scout, it is that really clean yellow one with the black soft top. He is about to spring it over, then it will be a "bad dood"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BMFScout; 12-26-2004 at 05:05 AM.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

stinger7401
    that is a gm tpi manifold and injectors, right? how did he rig it with the scout block?

***, that is because it is a GM motor. That's one way to put a Scout on a diet.

Looks good Jimmy, is that here in town?

is that the guy that's guiding on the king ranch now?
    Sweet truck...I stopped and talked to him a few times...he built that thing on a tight schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Originally posted by stinger7401
    that is a gm tpi manifold and injectors, right? how did he rig it with the scout block?
    NO, that is NOT TPI, that's an LT1. Big difference.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

LT1 isn't tuned port? I thought if it had a dry TB, runners, and 1 injector/cylinder, then it was TPI?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

stinger7401
    Originally posted by uglyota
    LT1 isn't tuned port? I thought if it had a dry TB, runners, and 1 injector/cylinder, then it was TPI?
    ditto

TPI is just a standard small block chevy w/ a Multi-Port Injection system that Chevy called "Tuned Port Injection", it's just a trade name, kind of like early vettes "Cross Fire injection". TPI moors have long tuned runners, probably hence the name TPI. LT1 motor's are a completely different motor. Different engine blocks, reverse flow heads, gear drive water pump, distributor on the front of the motor. It was the first redesign of the small block and bosted higher output and many improvements over the (at the time) 30+ year old small block. Just as the LS1 is to the LT1, the LT1 is to the small block.
    Fred could chime in and tell you more.

close, but no. TPI is batch fire which means when one cylinder fires, that whole bank of injectors on that side of the motor fires. So it's basically firing all the injectors on that side of the motor to fuel one cylinder. Little bit primative, but it works. Some systems use MAF sensors, some are speed density that rely on the MAP sensor and VSS signal.

The only year of LT1 that is TPI is a 93 LT1, they still are controlled by the TPI computer and are batch fire. From 94 to 97 the LT1s were Sequintal Port Fuel Injection which fires one injector for each injector instead of firing a whole side of the motor to fuel one cylinder. Much better tunability and efficiency. LT1s also are neither speed density nor MAF systems alone. They are kind of a hybrid system that uses both a MAF and a MAP along with the VSS to keep everything in check. Big bonus for cammed/big head motors.

Also, TPI motors use a standard small cap HEI ignition system to power it while an LT1 uses a dual pickup system that senses 8 points of contact and also 360* of rotation to power a single coil system that controls timing advance and knock retard extremely accurately.

If you require further explaination between a TPI and SPFI LT1, just ask Doug Bedwetter, he learned all about LT1s the last time I had to explain the differences in chevy motors.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Sweet! So are we talking about the same guy (works on King Ranch)?

The blocks are still the same then, right?

Is the distributor under the TB?

Is my vortec SMPI then?

Originally posted by uglyota
    Sweet! So are we talking about the same guy (works on King Ranch)?

The blocks are still the same then, right?

Is the distributor under the TB?

Is my vortec SMPI then?
    No, the blocks aren't the same. Real similar, but there are differences in the LT1 block for the distributor and water pump being ran off the timing gearset. The distributor is under the water pump. Very hidden.

Your vortec is SPFI. The difference there is the injectors are centrally located in a pod with lines running out to the runners of the manifold.

Originally posted by Fredo
    The distributor is under the water pump. Very hidden.
    Sounds like a pain...so it's driven directly by the crank?

it's not too big of a pain because there are no adjustments on it. The years that were a pain were the 93-94's with the ventless optisparks that drew in moisture and usually always died when the water pump leaked on them. The 95-97's had the vented opti which is much much better about staying dry and clean.

Yeah this is Jon Cox's scout, he is the one that was the guide out at the King Ranch. He is currently between jobs. He was in town last night, but left today. I can't wait til he gets it sprung over, it will be hella sweet then. I want to see what it would run out at nastysota, I bet it could take butler's old camaro
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

hey jimmy what transmission and tcase did he use?