Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: kickass scout motor

Dana 300 and 700R4. It all came as a package deal from ebay. He got a fairly good deal when you price out some of the stuff that's on the combo such as the adapter between the T-Case and the 700R4 from AA. 600 bones for that thing by itself.

bump
    welcome to the boards John!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

i can post now

Though I'd shed some more light on the subject. I did this in word and pasted it. i got a little carried away, but it shouldn't leave any questions. If so feel free to ask them. This consists of some original text and some copied, but its been on my computer for so long i dont know from whence it came.

Although the LT1 shared many common dimensions, looked much the same and even had a few common parts, it was totally redesigned to provide more power with lower emissions and better fuel economy. Basically, the rotating assembly is pretty much the same and the cam can be used in any roller sbc as long as the dist drive pin doesn’t rub the timing cover. If it does it can easily be ground shorter.

Compared to the 1991 Chevy 350 L98 with TPI which is batch fire as Fred said, the LT1 made 20% more horsepower, got better fuel mileage, and had a much broader torque band with 90% of it’s peak torque available from just over 1,000 rpm all the way up to nearly 6,000 rpm. GM accomplished this by reverse cooling the engine (meaning the coolant directly from the radiator enters the heads before the block) so they could bump the compression ratio up to 10.5 to 1, tweaking the airflow in and out of the engine with a new intake and d-port exhaust runners, and using sophisticated electronic controls for both fuel and ignition. TPI fires two shots per cylinder per revolution. Rather than an injector firing twice per revolution and the half fuel waiting in the intake runner for the intake stroke, the injection is sequential and the corresponding injector only fires on the cylinders intake stroke.

GM had some problems with the early distributor due to both carbon tracking and moisture, so a new sealed distributor with a vacuum port was introduced in 1994 and used on all LT1s in 1995. The distributor is evacuated to the manifold, and stayed dry rather than collecting condensation inside. The new distributor was still located on the front of the engine, but used a pilot shaft in the cam and was driven by a pin on the front face of the camshaft. This pin was simply an extended version of the pin used to orient the cam timing gear on all other small blocks.

The pilot shaft for the distributor extends through the hole in the cam gear and seats in the hole in the cam; the distributor is driven by the long dowel pin that sticks up through the cam gear. In order for me to use the zz4 cam in my LT1, I’ll have to bore the hole out larger and install the longer dowel pin.

The high-resolution encoding is done with a 360-tooth trigger wheel spinning at camshaft speed. An optical sensor (hence the name OPTI-Spark) reads these spinning teeth, and creates a simple 0 or 5 volt signal, depending on whether an opening in the teeth is or is not present. As the trigger wheel spins with the engine, this 0 or 5 volt signal becomes a square wave voltage signal. This signal is then sent to the engine management computer to determine engine speed. On the FSAE racecar, we used a 14 tooth cam gear and a separate crank sensor (don’t recall how many teeth) to establish timing. We spun that engine to 14,000 rpms if this is any indication of how accurate the timing is on the LT1.

Once the computer knows the speed of the engine, it needs to calculate the engine position in order to establish spark timing. To accomplish this task, the low-resolution engine position encoder disk is utilized. The low-resolution sensor itself is essentially identical to the high-resolution sensor. However, the low-resolution encoder disk only contains 8 teeth. Four of the teeth are of the same size, and occur at 90-degree reference intervals (these four teeth help to give quick synchronization during start-up cranking). The other four teeth have varying tooth widths. From these variable-sized teeth, the computer uses a fairly simple algorithm to determine engine position. The ‘96-97 LT1’s had a separate crank sensor. I’m not sure if this eliminated the need for the low-res sensor in the opti. The only difference I’ve ever heard about in the opti is vented (95-97) or non-vented(92-94). Fred may be able to shed some light on this for me.

The data created by the high- and low-resolution sensing system is ultimately used by the engine computer to generate one thing: ignition timing. The timing signal is sent from the computer to the ignition module, which is located next to the coil on LT1 and L99 engines. The ignition module then sends a high current “charge” signal directly to the ignition coil. Once the ignition coil is charged, it fires a high voltage electrical charge to the Opti-Spark distributor cap. The rotor inside the Opti-Spark distributor then distributes the spark to the appropriate cylinder via the distributor cap.

The water pump is driven via the cam timing chain gear. The gear consists of a chain sprocket and a toothed gear in one unit. The water pump driveshaft is driven from the gear on the back of the timing gear and extends over the cam timing gear, through the timing cover and engages the water pump from the rear.

stay tuned folks, the rest is yet to come, it incudes:
    SOA w/ RS, cross-over steering, lockers, zz4 cam which should put the LT1 to some where in the neighborhood of 350+ hp 400lb-ft, power disc brakes, kustom swing out tire carrier, and a/c
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-10-2004 at 02:16 AM.

holy ****! It's like you hooked up a serial port to Fred's brain, like Matrix or some ****, weird...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.

Re: i can post now

Originally posted by agjohn02
    zz4 cam which should put the LT1 to some where in the neighborhood of 350+ hp 400lb-ft, power disc brakes, kustom swing out tire carrier, and a/c
    Maybe at the crank...but my LT4 hotcam with 1.6 roller rockers and chromoly pushrods only brought 330hp and 345ft.lbs to the rear wheels. That is with headers, exhaust, air intake, electric water pump, and upgraded ignition. Also, it only had to travel through a 6spd and a 10 bolt. Unlike yours that will be traveling through an Auto trans, transfer case, and bigger rear axle. I would say you're looking at about 310-320 hp and 320-330 torque. Still plenty, but it's not going to be as high as you think.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

and he takes the bait

i just put that in there just for you fredo, to see what you would say. i may be new to posting, but ive been cruising the forum long enough to know you'd spot that and point it out... mr. im-a-nice-guy-in-person-but-i-never-have-anything-positive-to-say-on-this-forum.

anyways, i kind of agree with you, they do sound like optimistic numbers, but check out this site, this is where i got the idea to put it in there. keep in mind the one with the hotcam has the lt4 heads ad well. and, yes, i was referring to crankshaft numbers.

http://www.goautocenter.com/gen_ii_lt1.htm

i kinda split the difference between a zz4 crate motor and this info. maybe i was a little high on the torque but im guessing the hp is pretty close.

380hp 396 lb-ft, thats what you are putting out at the crank if you account for a 15% loss in a manual transmission drivetrain. the hot cam is .525 I/E with about 10 and 7 degree more duration respectively. the zz4 is .474 .510 I/E with less duration. in an unported head, duration isnt necessarily a good thing, it can result in a decrease in dynamic compression ratio. personally i think the zz4 will have higher DC than the hot. that websites spread on hp and torque is 50 and 10, but with different heads. so, to end the discussion at this ill knock off 20 each and say im gonna make 330 hp and 380 lb-ft. ill let ya know what it makes when ed wright in tulsa gets done with it.

Re: and he takes the bait

i just put that in there just for you fredo, to see what you would say. i may be new to posting, but ive been cruising the forum long enough to know you'd spot that and point it out... mr. im-a-nice-guy-in-person-but-i-never-have-anything-positive-to-say-on-this-forum.
    This could get interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

What about my previous post was mean?

Also, with the LT4 heads and Intake, you should see quite a bit more power than just the cam. I didn't realize you were talking about doing that with the cam.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

no not mean, just not positive. and, no i dont think this will get too interesting, at least between fred and i. we're cool, i was just kidding around with him. do you know anything about what the crank sensor does on the later lt1's, fred? ive got some pics of the drivetrain out and should be getting my cam today. so, ill update when i get home from work.

no, im staying stock with the heads and intake. from what i gather on the goautocenter.com site, the zz4 motor has stock heads. i wish i had the lt4 stuff though. those things flow 240 cfm compared to the 195 cfm of the lt1 head. i do, however, have a red powdercoated intake manifold that looks like an lt4, thats good for at least 20 hp, surely.

If you're reffering to the crank sensor in the bottom of the timing cover on 96-97 LT1's, it is part of the OBDII diagnostics for detecting misfires. It's also a secondary reference point for telling if the OptiSpark is dying or not.

zz4 in da house

cam came in today. so, now ive got all my parts. im about to go work on the insulation now.

by the way, just wanted to recommend hedman hedders. i called them to see if they had any headers for an LT1 in a 73 Scout (yeah right), but to my surprise they were super helpful. the guy i first talked to, david ext # 203, was as helpful as he could be and never tried to rush me off the phone like most of the tech guys you talk to do. he referred me to one of their senior application guys, jim wical, and this guy wanted pictures of my engine bay to study and called me three days later with some suggestions. said he had a couple engineers look at it too. i was way impressed with their customer support.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-10-2004 at 11:39 PM.

Re: zz4 in da house

everybody needs one of these:
    I already have enough red X's, thanks though!

red x's

yeah, red x's are a dime a dozen. .

ok, pics work then they dont, work, then they dont

am i doing something wrong or what?
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-10-2004 at 09:46 PM.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    just upload them to our server...one pic per post....you could have done three posts....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

drivetrain in dangle mode:
    Attached Images Attached Images