Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: kickass scout motor

i think i have it figured out. i didnt want to try to explain it, so i drew a couple of pics. green's the welded on plate, red's the HAZ of the frame, tans the frame. the blue line could represent the area of any type of stress (i.e.- bending, tension, compression, shear) with the fishmouth you have re-enforcment from the plate welded on and non-HAZ metal in the frame. with the straight weld you can see the incidence of stress is completely in the HAZ. thanks for getting me thinking guys. if anybody knows the reason and this isnt it, let me know.

dang it, now i gotta go in there and replace that section of my frame rail.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by agjohn02; 08-19-2004 at 11:49 PM.

just learning solidworks?

should have bought a traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    just learning solidworks?

no, it just makes a more legible drawing, but you seem like a crayon kinda guy so this is for you.

simple and effective, and very TAMOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

got the hog down to the shortblock and cleaned, putting new gaskets and seals in it. the engine stand i made when i was about 15. i took a picture of the timing cover so you can see the splined shafts coming through for the water pump(top) and opti-spark distributor(bottom).

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    i took a picture of the timing cover so you can see the splined shafts coming through for the water pump(top) and opti-spark distributor(bottom).

ah, so THAT is what that looks like.

By the way, now would be the perfect time to put the LT4 hotcam in that motor.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

dont tease me fred. id love to but by the time you get the kit and the re-programming, i cant swing the dough.

I can do the reprogramming for $50. We can get your VIN from the computer added to my programming software for $50 and I could just give you the same program I'm running in the camaro and do some timing table work on it if it's not quite right. I know that kit is a bit pricey, but the rockers and timing set that it comes with are quite pimp. Still wouldn't be that hard to do down the road. It's not like it's hard to get to the front of that motor when it's in a scout.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Still wouldn't be that hard to do down the road. It's not like it's hard to get to the front of that motor when it's in a scout.

thats my plan. gm parts direct has the kit for $498. combination has a cloyes timing set for $80. im assuming since you have the electric water pump you are running a lt4 extreme duty timing set? those are pricey! ill do it when i have money and nothing else to do to the scout. ill keep your offer in mind. for now though, headers, a good exhaust, and cowl induction (more like fender induction) will get me around 300 at the shaft. if i get squirrely enough i might port match my heads and intake. that sould be enough for offroading... if i use the low range.

BOOYAH! factory screw in rocker studs... too bad i dont have roller rockers and a cam big enough to need em.

i actually put something i learned on trucks to use today. i cant afford most of the bling they throw around on there, but this one was cheap. the new"ish" inner fender i got was pretty much rust free but had a hacked up core support so i had to drill out the spot welds and put my core support on the new fender by spot welding them back together with a mig. pretty easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    no, it just makes a more legible drawing, but you seem like a crayon kinda guy so this is for you.
    schmack!!!!
    I am feeling a show down coming on! Project Dreidel VS the Z-28 Scout, Sunday Sunday Sunday, $5 for a seat but you'll only need the edge. You better be there unless you are dead or in jail, if you're in jail, BREAK OOOOOOUUUUUTTTTTT!!!!!!
    Seriously it will be interesting to see if you both make it, this year we will drink beer and raise hell in Gilmer...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Flem is going to make it.....hopefully. At least, if I'm not building the motor for Dad's Truck, I'll be over at Rob's helping him. Dreidel must make it.

if the Almighty reaches down from the heavens and turns a wrench for me for the next week. ill be there.

got the brakes plumbed except for the rear axle hard lines. now all thats left is to put the top end of the engine together re-install the drivetrain and do a SOA. woohoo gilmer here i come... but not in the scout.

the switch next to the wilwood prop is for the torque converter lock-up control.