Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: kickass scout motor

ok, so, if you dont pay your dues and get "deactivated", you have more time to work on your projects. got the drivetrain mounted. new motor mounts and crossmember. clocked the tcase down 10 degrees to make the cv shaft clear the 700r4 pan plus a little pan massage. taurus 2 speed elec fan is mounted to the alum rad. working on fabbing up extension for chevy truck airbox. got one fuel fitting done. now i can play with my adj fuel press reg. almost ready to start suspension stuff.

does anybody else think this is close?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

progress for tonight thus far:

got the camaro sending unit fit for welding into to scout tank. since i dont have a tig at my disposal anymore, ill have to take it and my airbox addition to the machine shop tomorrow. the pick-up centers up nicely right where the old pick-up used to be. the sending unit is canted off to one side. thats why its not centered on the tank at the top. i decided to go with braided stainless fuel lines. i tried to make the stock camaro lines work, but they are bent in all the wrong places. AN-06 for the feed and AN-04 for the return. cant go wrong with aircraft grade stuff.

rear springover is under way. kinda makes the 33's look small, eh?

looks good john
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

the verdicts in, a stock spring SOA yields 3 inches more lift than a 4" lift spring SUA. clearance between fender and tire was 9" now its 12". oh, and for you scout guys, that mysterious spacer does matter. im 3/8" short on the drivers side now with no spacer. the one that was on top of my pass side spring was part of the spring so ill have to find two of them somewhere to put under the d side springs.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I still haven't figured out why that damn spacer is in there, but apparently it matters. Good to see you're getting the SOA done John. You'll like your Scout SO much better with it. I absolutely hate my 4" lift springs. I need a damn kidney belt really to drive it everyday.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

jimmy, did you set your rear axle back when you did the soa? mine rubbed the front of the fender well with the old set-up when flexed. you ever have that problem?

nothing new thats picture worthy yet, but i felt like posting this. my frame was rusted through above the rear spring hanger so i modified it. ive seen hangers that werent rusted rip off the frame so i was gonna do this anyways. hows that for a fishmouth?

I did set mine back an inch, I guess it helped doesn't rub much if any. I also added a main leaf minus the eyes under the main leaf on the rear. It looked as if the leaf under the main one was about to rub through the main. Now the second leaf extends almost to the ends of the spring, works much better...
    Last edited by BMFScout; 11-10-2004 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Kyle's mom is a big fat *****, she's the biggest ***** in the whole wide world!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

came to two conclusions tonight:

1.) if you wire your torque converter lock-up control scheme wrong, it wont work properly. seems i put the 4th gear pressure switch in the wrong port on the valve body. theres a very good chance this is what has been causing my tc lock-up problems . i did it one late night on the king ranch and i remember it confusing me, but as soon as i popped the cover tonight i saw the problem. could be a costly mistake, b/c i think i fried the tc clutch. the only reputable tranny shop around here wont work on your stuff unless they remove and re-install it and i wont know if it needs replacing until i get it running again.

2.) the quantity of lubricant in my scout is roughly equal to five gallons. ive had every gear case, the engine and tranny apart and my used lubricant collection point (a 5 gal bucket) is full.

got the tank finished up and put in. everything worked out nicely. i decided i didnt need braided line on the return since its not under pressure. i used rubber hose and cut the quick connect fittings out of the old fuel line to use. they gave me a nice barbed fitting to clamp the hose to rather than the slick metal fuel lines on the sender and fuel rail. i bought just enough POR15 for the tank and it took forever to coat it entirely. they say just slosh it around. if you have a lot more than you need you could probably do that, but i had to let it sit for 30 mins on each side, several times, to get it to run and coat everything completely. i took my lesson learned from the leaf spring fiasco and after getting estimates on welding the tank up just bought myself a new toy for the same price.

got a new locker. i decided to not go with a detroit. instead i went with a COX locker. this way ill be able to tell if i want to use a spool or if i dont like it ill get a detroit after the budget is no longer a concern. i welded it up without pulling the carrier. id feel more comfortable pulling it, but i dont have a dial indicator to check the backlash. i was gonna buy one to put in a new carrier but this is temporary anyways. i blacked the r&p with a torch to keep the spatter from sticking and flushed it with used motor oil and brakecleaner after i was done.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    kickass man, now get that pile together for the Clayton run. Everybody who is anybody is going to be there tearing up their ****!
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Pulling the carrier doesn't mess up the backlash or anything. Only changes would be from size change as a result of welding, which are the same if pulled or not.

And you need to bring it to clayton. I've NEVER seen a scout wheel, which leads me to believe they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Pulling the carrier doesn't mess up the backlash or anything. Only changes would be from size change as a result of welding, which are the same if pulled or not.

And you need to bring it to clayton. I've NEVER seen a scout wheel, which leads me to believe they suck.

i know theoretically it doesnt change the backlash, i just didnt feel comfortable not checking it after reinstalling it. after i welded it the backlash was very minimal due to the heat i put in it. after it cooled off it was back to where it was before.

clayton is my goal. ive still got quite a bit to do though.