Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 35's with stock gears

ishbo03

35's with stock gears

i was wondering if anyone in the club has a truck with a 350 in it running 35's and stock gears. if so, has your power and fuel economy been completely lost? i know you will lose a little of both but just wondering what kind of experience u have had. also, have u noticed any other problems with this setup, such as too much strain on your transmission or engine? any help would be nice

what kinda truck? what kinda tires? what is the stock gear ratio? and what tranny? Then i'll give my opinion!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Shaggy
    my bronco had stock gearing with 35's for quite a while... the power wasnt very different. my gas mileage changed quite a bit though. in town it was about the same but as far as highway driving i got way better with the 4.88s but then that may only because my top speed became 65... in my opinion 35s are not that much bigger than stock so i dont think it should be a problem

remember that your fuel economy is deceiving when you change tires, then gears, because when calculating fuel economy you need to factor in the % difference between your tripometer reading and your actual distance traveled.
    If you put on tires that were 15% bigger, even if you were getting the exact same real fuel economy (miles traveled/gallon burned), your calculations (miles on the tripometer/gallon burned) would appear that you were getting 15% poorer economy, because your speedo and tripo are recording 15% less.

...so if you were to haul firewood for somebody, say, you'd have to factor an additional 15% on top of your fuel + oil change + tire wear costs + precious time out of your day + inflation + depreciation according to the blue book for miles driven both ways + accounting for extra wear and tear on the vehicle while loaded vs unloaded + wear on the floormats and upholstery (add another 20% if you ate messkin food the night before) =

Don't forget though...gas is cheap, gears are not
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

FTAco07
    I've got 35's on mine with the stock 3.73 and it isn't all that bad. Gas milage is about the same, but that's prolly becuase i replaced a cloged fuel filter right after the lift. I lost some low end power, but your 350 should do alittle better with that than the 5.3. Overall you will be fine.

I went from a 258 to a 360 with stock gears and 35"s the 360 could handle it, the 258 couldn't. Any 350 or v8 for that matter should have enough torque to move it off the line with stock gears.

Originally posted by uglyota

...so if you were to haul firewood for somebody, say, you'd have to factor an additional 15% on top of your fuel + oil change + tire wear costs + precious time out of your day + inflation + depreciation according to the blue book for miles driven both ways + accounting for extra wear and tear on the vehicle while loaded vs unloaded + wear on the floormats and upholstery (add another 20% if you ate messkin food the night before) =

NICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

ishbo03
    its going on a 99 2 door tahoe, not sure what tranny, i think the gears are 3.73 and the tires are 35x12.5 bfg muds. im not real worried about a little loss of power or fuel economy. my main concern was some people tried to tell me it would put too much strain on my tranny and end up messing it up. i didnt know if they were just jack asses that didnt know what they were talkin about or what(p.s.- no one from the club)

FTAco07
    You have a 4L60e tranny. It will put alittle more strain on the transmission but unless you rag on it you will be fine. Just get some kind of programmer to fix your speedo and your shiftpoints.

Shaggy
    isnt is a 700r4?

Originally posted by Shaggy
    isnt is a 700r4?
    nope he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

FTAco07
    They are pretty much the same tranny, only diff is the 4L60 is computer controlled. All the same ratios though.

you'll know when you're dogging your tranny, but unless you do some serious towing or a lot of mountain driving, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Don't let anyone talk you into a tranny cooler either, since there's a pretty big one built into your radiator.

Anybody ever put redline in a 4l60e? My 50k fluid/filter change is right around the corner and I'm thinking I might see what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

JeepsterJayson
    I have a hyper tech programmer that you can buy for $150. And I have a friend running 35's on his Tahoe. Its a 94 model with 240 K and its still running strong.

...so if you were to haul firewood for somebody, say, you'd have to factor an additional 15% on top of your fuel + oil change + tire wear costs + precious time out of your day + inflation + depreciation according to the blue book for miles driven both ways + accounting for extra wear and tear on the vehicle while loaded vs unloaded + wear on the floormats and upholstery (add another 20% if you ate messkin food the night before)