Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: For Scott and Cody

What affects does compression ratio have on them and how about if the motor was spinning at 2500 rpm instead of 300? What effects do different sizes of turbo housings have on EGT, BHP, and BSFC?

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Originally posted by eight
    What affects does compression ratio have on them and how about if the motor was spinning at 2500 rpm instead of 300? What effects do different sizes of turbo housings have on EGT, BHP, and BSFC?
    compression ratio would change the peak pressure. all other things being equal, a higher compression ratio would raise the EGT, the peak pressures, and give you more HP. The BSFC wouldn't necessarly change.

Changing the turbo housing would lower the EGT's. It wouldn't change the power or the fuel consumption unless the current housing is limiting the intake pressure. If you went to a bigger turbo that could pump more air, then you could add more fuel and keep the same EGT's. Of course if you are adding more fuel, the mileage would go down - the BSFC might stay the same because you would be making more HP.

Engine speed is directly related to HP. The higher the RPM, the more HP you can make. Of course torque is what is needed in Diesel engines and torque is formed at lower RPM's. The difference between the 300rpm engine and the 2500rpm is that the automotive engines need to be rebuilt more often, and they make more HP but less torque(percentagewise).

Hope that makes since
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Why is it that, at least in Dodges, people claim to get better mileage with injectors slightly bigger than stock? Can too small of injectors lower the effiency of the engine? Did your mileage change any when you switched injectors?

Making more power with a more efficient burn would increase fuel mileage because you wouldn't have to burn as much fuel to keep going the same speed.....

If you don't use the extra power, you don't use the extra fuel. My fuel mileage stayed the same with my 50hp injectors with normal driving. While towing - when using all of the extra power, my mileage dropped - I wouldn't be able to get 8mpg if I had stock injectors (the lowest might be 10), I also wouldn't be able to pull the big trailer at 70.

the only way to get more fuel efficiency with bigger injectors is to get better mixing in the combustion chamber which would lead to a more complete burn. The injector would need to inject at a higher pressure or have better atomization some other way.

think of dripping choclate(sp) into a glass of mile vs. spraying it at 100 psi - then do it at 200 psi. What do you think will mix better? you can inject the same amout of fuel at the increased pressure and increase the chamber mixing thus increasing the burn thus increasing the efficiency and power.
    Scott, FTAC '99

fbronco86
    all you need is a little propane injection and then you can really blow up your motors.

propane is great cause it helps to get more complete combustion so you are not throwing as much raw fuel out the exhaust.

Real world experiences.....but hey, don't take their word for it.

Knock on wood I havent Had a CEL But It flatens out in the Top end so Im thinking a New pump would Help that issue alot. I toasted a New "That thing Got A Hemi In It" Today. I think it made the Guy real Mad But I had Such a Big Grin, That My face started to Hurt
    Fuel mileage on my baby's is pretty much the same as long as I keep my foot out of it. It will go faster if you rod on it but only seems to be a 1-2 mpg difference and a LOT of power. You should be able to get 100+ hp with the babys and a chip and spend less than a grand on the two. I'd highly recomend them.
    I would definately recommend them too!!
    I have never seen a negative post regarding swamps injectors. I can tell you of all the things I have done to my truck, the babies made the most difference. I have 230k miles and probably twice the power as when it was new. Make sure you're trans and or clutch can handle them though. You won't be sorry!!!
    They will turn heads and make cars behind you disappear if you want them too... best investment you can make for the money and swamp and Golfer are great people to work with.
    Ya can't go wrong with the *swamp* injectors. You Must have a chip to gain any power with these injectors. Many folks here have already swamped their trucks. Over 100 more HP. Go for it. Call swamp tomorrow. You'll Be glad you did.
    Click on the link in my signature and read all you want. I was the first truck to have the baby swamps put in and they ROCK. The power is incredible.
    Exactly what the other fellas have said... Call swamp and it will be the best investment you have made... cheap power and its awesome
    I have them in my truck, best thing that I've done to it. You can't go wrong with the Babies. Like alot of other people have said, the best bang for the buck. You should call and talk to Jonathan(swamp). My $.02, Carl.
    I got my babies installed this weekend and I can hit 32#S of boost in third pushing her pretty hard!I was hitting about 25# before,I think thats pretty good for just a Hypermax generic chip. I can't wait to get a custom flip chip ! A big thanks to Dave aka Golfer! Todd
    I bet you will see close to 40# with a good chip, cuz I can hit 32# just like you said with my TS and stock injectors and turbo. When you get a new chip hold onto your shorts!!!
    They will smoke on you when you get on it, but like Alaskan said, it depends on your tuning. Up here in denver where the air is hard to come by, I can basicly lose the car behind me if i stand on it. Dont know how emmisions are out there but if you have to pass every year, that is another thing you have to worry about. With that said, they do pull good.
    I can make em smoke or make em not smoke all depends on my driviing charteristics. If i want em to smoke and goose it at a lug it will make the cars behind me headligt go out or i can just ease into it till it grabs boost then mat it and she barely smokes at all she just goesssss Travis
    With Babies and no chip, I'm so positive you'll pass emissions testing with no problem that I'd guarantee it, or refund your $$ and send you a stock set of injectors.
    depends ALOT on programming. I had one program that would totally engulf small towns in smoke. I now have another burn that under normal driving conditions wont smoke much at all but will still leave a plume under a lug condition. Gettin like 3mpg better with this burn over the other one. Funny thing is I think both burns have close to the same power over all but the one with all the smoke made the throttle response freakin unreal. The other funny thing is that the one that smoked like crazy was a 50hp and the other one is an extreme burn.

If you either want smoke or dont want smoke but want upgraded injectors you really need a multi pos chip. Thats the great thing about the Babies, they use stock nozzles so with the flip of a switch you have stock injectors again.
    I had my Baby swamps installed last Monday. I drove from Franklin to Washington NC in the next few days. I am carrying my self contained slide-in and drove as near 65 as I could. Did I notice more power? That question needn't be asked, but YES. What I didn't expect was the exceptional fuel mileage and low EGT. I made 15 mpg with no head or tail wind. I was careful to get the tanks totaly full to eliminate the one tank phenomena. I was making 12 on the way out between Colorado and Franklin. swamp told me to expect 1350 to 1400 EGT in the mountains near Knoxville but I only hit 1200 twice, one mountain near Asheville and one hard ON ramp acceleration. Other montains and hills never topped 1000. If this continues on my return trip I will really be pleased and more than I expected.
    The first time I dynoed a month ago I had the babys and a Diablo chip it put down253 rwhp.I dynoed yesterday and with a bill chip and the babys I put down 342 rwhp.The dyno was a mustang dyno the elevation here is about 2600 ft .I just thought i would give some of the guys thinking about getting a set of babys a little input,they are a boatload of fun and worth every cent.
    Just for kicks, I'm trying to keep track of my mileage. With a little bit of highway driving, and lots of playing (read: hard accelerating and smoking people out every chance possible) I'm getting 15.5.
    I got 17 highway on a 2000 mile trip
    Second Day with the bill chip,the milage doesn't seem too bad even with a lead foot.The throttle response is awesome,last night i took my dad for a ride he has a 99 SD with the banks stinger plus on it, his truck runs pretty strong.I took it easy until we got out on the hwy ,when I shifted into 4th I droped the hammer,shifted and burried the speedo with a cloud of swamp smoke behind.I saw my dad watching the boost gauge pegging with his mouth dropped open and drool coming out.Dad said you won't have too worry about me out pulling you anymore.FINALY THE SMART ASS COMMENTS ABOUT HIS SD STOMPING MY TRUCK ARE OVER, unless he calls swamp,maybe i'll keep his number a secret..

So Nutz, you gonna order this **** yet? What ended up happenin with that big ass trailer you wanted?

Scott, what brand/model of injectors do you have?

About the most mine can burn is 11 mpg, but autos have little injectors.
    Last edited by eight; 04-07-2004 at 08:15 PM.

I'm not going to order anything until I pay off the Mazda...

I get blue smoke on start up which = injector o rings so I guess modded injectors solve 2 problems.

I can get access to a 40ft gooseneck BUT, the guy doesn't really need to use it so I'd have to pay the $240 license fee AND reimburse him for brake and tire wear. It isn't really a good deal. If he had a use for it we could share the license fee or he could pay it all, but that isn't the case.

Originally posted by eight

Scott, what brand/model of injectors do you have?
    I have the Bosch RV 275's
    Scott, FTAC '99

chevsu
    you should do this turbo setup like this car.

solid fuel jet propulsion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools