Thread: detroit locker

dreed

detroit locker

Since my birthday in next week, i was thinking of buying a detroit for the rear of the truck. Truckfest (sponsored by whore wheel parts) is at the dallas convention center this weekend.
    not me, the new ones (from China?) suck.
    should i not go for a new detroit then? Why do you say that they suck? Whats the difference between them? If they suck, then what other locker is of good quality beig no more expensive than a detroit.

If you don't get a Detroit you don't have much choice as far as 100% locking differentials go. You can weld it or spool it or get a Detroit Electrac.

Who really cares what Spears says anyway? It's got a 1 year warranty, so just go out and abuse it for a few months to see if it'll break.

the locker has a warranty, not the labor to put it in again and again.

Ask Troy about the new lockers, that is what blew up in Greg's Jeep. Heck the guys from Sun-Ray won't even use them any more.

get an ARB

TXsizeK5
    Just weld that ****.

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by TXsizeK5
    Just weld that ****.
    yup

froader03
    dan's smart enough not to weld up his daily driver.

dreed
    yeah dont want to do that. one of my friends welded his rearend and the welds wore out and broke. His truck doesn't work too well anymore.

I'll weld it up for you. It won't break. But I think, if you put a real locker in it and with the 38.5s, you might start breaking shafts. And since its c-clip and you drive it to the trails, that might not be too fun.

TXsizeK5
    If you weld it right, not that I know how, it shouldn't break. Like Kolpecki said, you should be breaking shafts before your **** goes.

dreed
    if i do get a full locker, i doubt that i would put the 38.5's on until i bought some better shafts.

froader03
    Originally posted by TXsizeK5
    If you weld it right, not that I know how, it shouldn't break. Like Kolpecki said, you should be breaking shafts before your **** goes.
    yeah I guess if you weld it real well that won't be your weak point. but for a DD that's on the street more than it's on the trail, you'd be putting your driveline through hell. I drove my truck around welded for a little over a month. just not a real good feeling.

TXsizeK5
    Originally posted by dreed
    if i do get a full locker, i doubt that i would put the 38.5's on until i bought some better shafts.
    I was looking into buying some 38.5's... you wanna trade?