Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brett's super duper HP D44/Ford 9" thread

Brett's super duper HP D44/Ford 9" thread

I figured I should start my own thread instead of further invading Ben's...

I finally got some wider axles to throw under the Jeep sometime in the future. It's stupid tall and way too narrow, so hopefully I can bring it down a little when it's all apart by playing with the suspension some and with the wheels that are waiting for me in Austin it'll have a wider stance. I'm starting with a leaf sprung High Pinion Dana 44 and a Ford 9" from a mid-70s F-series truck.

Disassembly has gone fairly easily so far. The spindles were *****es to get off, but after a loaner tool was found by Paul the pass. side one was off and we got the bearing races out of the Ford 9".
    Here they are stripped down and ready to get all the rust cleaned off.
    Last edited by bburris; 04-13-2004 at 01:07 AM.

I went to CarQuest to get all the bearings and seals and the gear install kits. Here are all the bearings and seals for both axles. There's two bearings and two seals for the Ford 9". There's like eleven-teen of each for the D44.

The install kit for the D44 was in stock at another store so I got it with all the other crap. The Ford 9" install kit should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by bburris; 04-13-2004 at 01:08 AM.

I realize now that 4.56s and a 4 cyl are bearable for around town while I'm pimpin' all the high school hoes, but when I get the rare itch to take the Jeep off-road, they just don't cut it.

I think 5.38s should work a little better...

I decided to get a traction device for the Ford 9" while I was putting in my gear order...

BLING BLING MUTHA ****A

...sorry about the crappy pic. Paul's camera doesn't like me so I retook that one with my webcam.

I also got my shipment from Coleman Racing today. I got some 3/4" threaded inserts for heims or Johnny Joints for the new links when we redo the front to a true 4-link.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Brett, please finish this thread before 29 pages....that's all I ask.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Is it okay to run 5.43 rear and 5.38 in front?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Nope, instant death.

Violentv8toy
    .05 difference....definately instant death.

Yes it's fine.

I'm working on getting the axles started now, but then I'll let this thread slide for a while because I don't think I'll be ready to do the swap until July or so.

Originally posted by uglyota
    Is it okay to run 5.43 rear and 5.38 in front?
    That's how every combo for the 9" and 44 are, i dont know why they just do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Shaggy
    4.88 and 4.86 in my D44 - 9" combo

Maybe I should post a poll so the rest of the club can get their 2 cents in as well...

Just whipped out the calculator and found that it's less than a 1% difference front to rear, which would make your drivetrain think you're running a 37" tire in front and a 36.7 in rear, so yeah, I guess there's enough slop in the drivetrain to negate that...just had to see for myself

PS Did stock vehicles with 9"/D44 have slightly different ratios?
    edit: sorry for the hijack, just trying to catch your thread up to chadwell's
    Last edited by uglyota; 04-13-2004 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Originally posted by uglyota

PS Did stock vehicles with 9"/D44 have slightly different ratios?
    edit: sorry for the hijack, just trying to catch your thread up to chadwell's
    Yeah 3.50 and 3.55 (cant remember which one in front and rear)

the gears all are 4.10/4.11 and 4.86/4.88 etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

There isn't a matching Ford 9" gear ratio for anything. They're all a couple of numbers off, but as long as you keep it within a small percentage (I can't remember what it is exactly) it doesn't hurt anything.

These axles had 3.55s in the rear and 3.50s in the front by my math...

On a thread-related note I just picked up the Ford 9" install kit. Neither of them have shims, but I think a mechanic friend should have some laying around at his shop. I have two boxes of chit sitting next to my desk now...

Ben97XJ
    You are supposed to keep them within 2%

For example: 3.54 ÷ 3.50 = 1.01, or 1%, not 4% different. And likewise 4.11 ÷ 4.09 = 1.005, or only a 1/2% difference. These differences are about the same as a 1/3" variation in front to rear tire height, which probably happens more often than we realize.
    Myths about gears