Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Load binding

Hybrid View

Load binding

I found some things in the Northern tool catalog.. I have torn 3 ratchet straps so far, so I know the axle straps would be a good idea. It does seem as though chains would be safer. One of the straps has chains on the end which would be neat to have instead of the "J" hooks. I like the way Conlee straps his jeep down by putting all the chains under it rather than in front and behind.

This is what I want. $50 each. Would need 2....

Pricey compared to straps, but they should last forever. You can't beat the durability of chains.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These are less expensive - $27 each

Either to be used in conjunction with these - $9

I like this kind of chain because it doesn't rust....

$113 for 40 feet though. BOTCO may have it cheaper.

$6.50

Strengths: (working/break)

Rathceting Load Binder with chain 6600/26400
    Ratchet straps with chains on the end 3000/10000
    Normal 2" ratchet straps 3300/10000
    3/8" chain 6600/26400
    axle straps 3300/10000

Using the binders and the axle straps the weak link would be the straps, but 4 could be used - 2 on each axle to nearly double the strength. I'm not sure what happens when one comes to as smashing stop from 50+ mph with 4000 lbs strapped to the trailer...

Thought?

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    just go with the straps....you want it to give just a little bit....chains break too much shiat...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

On the Llano trip I tried strapping my axles to the front and back with ratchet straps and then compressing the suspension with chains. Somewhere in San Antonio the hook things on the rear broke and the chain flew off and the Jeep started bouncing around like a mother****er. I don't know how soft your suspension is, but I'm using 4 30,000lb straps (two front, two rear) on the bumpers now. If you're careful about where you run your straps and you don't use cheap ones you should be fine.

I strap the axles down and let the truck sway.

I don't see how your **** came loose unless the suspension compressed and the hook fell off. This is why I don't strap to the bumpers. I want the mounts to be solid.

fbronco86
    Originally posted by StevenAg03
    just go with the straps....you want it to give just a little bit....chains break too much shiat...
    Break to much stuff? I put the chains around the axles. You just have to look out in the rear for the break line. I am pretty sure i dont want the truck to give alittle bit at all. I just dont think its a good idea for your load on the trailer to move is. Chains are cheaper in the long run anyway. Straps get cut and all sorts of other crap. I got some boomers from TSC for $19. And I already had chains. That and some .10 cent zip ties for boomers are you are good to go.

Originally posted by Chadnutz
    I don't see how your **** came loose unless the suspension compressed and the hook fell off. This is why I don't strap to the bumpers. I want the mounts to be solid.
    I had compressed the suspension as much as humanly possible before I put the chains on. I guess I hit a bump and the chain popped and it broke two links and the hook was gone. When I stopped the chain was laying on the trailer and there were two broken links barely attached to it and the hook was bye bye.

Straps are like $12 at Sam's and they have whatever the EdgeGuard is so they're harder to tear. Like I said, if you're careful of where you run them you shouldn't rip them up so often.

What size chain were you using?

I think it's better to strap the vehicle down and compress the suspension(from the bumpers/tow points). There's something to be said when every known vehicle manufacturer does it this way when they transport. Also you don't want the load shifting. I also read somewhere from a race car tech that they strap to the body to keep the suspension from cycling and nicking the races in the wheel bearings, which makes since. If you think about it all that weight of the truck goes up and down on the same part of the bearing w/ out rotating like it would if you were going down the road.
    If I haul a vehicle I use four straps criss crossed front and rear w/ a safety chain in the front to the trailer just in case. It maybe overkill, but I never have had any problems and can go down the road w/ a little peace of mind.

stinger7401
    I have had to many straps break to ever go back to them. Also I used to strap down my jeep from the frame to the trailer and compressing the suspension at the same time. On a trip to Colorado one time I stopped to fuel up only to learn that both straps were draped across the trailer, even at full compression or all i could get, the jeep still bounced and both came unhooked. Lesson: I will always strap to the axles, its to easy not to. And for chains, straps break, chains dont, if they do they were to old to begin with. I use chains, axle straps and clevis' and will never use anything else.

We just used regular binders to tie the CJ4 down...like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools