Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana 44's

Mud King

Dana 44's

I've been wanting to put a Dana 44 under the front end of my truck for a while now but there's never enough time and extreme lack of funds. This summer is looking good though and looks like it will finally happen. I just have a few questions that i thought a few of you guys could help me with. The axle that i think would be a great axle is a 44 out of a wagoneer due to its width but didn't some come with vacuum disconnect and others with lockouts. I just didn't want to get a vacuum axle and then have to put warn hubs on it. Just extra money. I want to replace the rear axle to with a 44 at the same time and get rid of that pencil dick 10 bolt. I was thinkin scout rear end or i guess could get matching rear 44 out of waggy. The thing i have no idea about is springs i have not a clue as to which sporings to run up front. I've seen guys run YJ springs but dont really know. Any comments or advice would help greatly! Thanks

Which side drop do you have?

I know where a Scout is in town and those have 44s front and rear. It is passenger side drop (psd).

WHOOP to the swap man.

Let us know if you need any help.

Mud King
    Naw the scout front end wouldn't work i need driver drop. Thanks for any help. Don't know if ya'll could help when i do it, i'll be doin it this summer in Richmond, southwest part of houston (Katy area). Dont think anyone would want to drive down there.

Violentv8toy
    if you want a waggy axle...get an 80s+. They're driver drop. Try stock waggy springs, if not enough lift, go for 44044s. Its not all that expensive if you do the work yourself....i'm not sure how the s10 frame is up front, but your s10 is pretty nice and it would do pretty damn good with a solid axle front. The things that may break the bank are gears and springs and steering arms....other than that its not that much at all.

Yep, Mario covered about all I was gonna say. There's a 80+ waggy at Maldonado's junk yard by Navisota. I think most of the non-vacuum ones were full time so they have drive slugs instead of hubs.

Shaggy
    not sure if you would want it but i have full width dana44 w/ EZ locker and 4.88 and a full width 9" with 4.88, detroit locker and chromolly shafts... i went to one ton in my bronco but this would work great in a small truck... if your interested in full widths let me know... i wont give these axles away but i will give you a WAY better deal than they would cost to build

Mud King
    Hmmmm. How much would you consider taking for those. That would be tight as hell to have those axles under there. But then i would have to put bushwackers on the fenders to make it look sort of normal. Those wide ass axles under my truck would look goffy as hell but they would be nice axles.

Mud King
    On eights comment. I've seen a couple of full time axles and is there any way to put like warn premium hubs on those axles to make them part time? Because thats the axle i would really prefer.

Yep, just take the slug out and put the hub on. No conversion kit or modifying needed, just get some hubs.

Get the full widths. Put some 8" wheels with 4.5" BS on them and it probably won't be too much wider than what you have now. The Ford axles aren't but about 6" wider than waggie axles. You know the wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface width on your axles? The law says you get 3" past the fender or flair, but the policias and inspectioners don't seem to care. And some 36-37" tires would be sweet.

Mud King
    Yeah i've seen some s10's with full widths and if the price is right on the axles it seems the thing to do. I want to run 36 swamper radials with plenty room to flex em.

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by eight
    Yep, just take the slug out and put the hub on. No conversion kit or modifying needed, just get some hubs.

Get the full widths. Put some 8" wheels with 4.5" BS on them and it probably won't be too much wider than what you have now. The Ford axles aren't but about 6" wider than waggie axles. You know the wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface width on your axles? The law says you get 3" past the fender or flair, but the policias and inspectioners don't seem to care. And some 36-37" tires would be sweet.
    just to add to this, if you went with a ford, you'll have a high pinion....but then you'll have a ford axle in a chevy...ahhh choices.

I actually still use the slugs in my axle...they take me about 30 seconds apiece to take out and they're not that bad.

I'd go with fullwidth too...when you get over a 35" tire, you'll rub the spring. (like me)

stinger7401
    Glad to see your back in the game man, let me know if you need any sugeestions on the mechanics of anything, I wont be here to help with the actual swap but i can help with knowledge.

Shaggy
    ** PM me or call my cell and we'll talk about those axles

usmcagg02
    Originally posted by Shaggy
    ** PM me or call my cell and we'll talk about those axles
    if that doesnt go through i might be interested in talking to you about those axles.

If you need the ford axle, there was one in dallas in a 78 bronco. They wanted like $120 for it, but you can always talk those guys down.

PS...good to see you are still sticking around, in light of the recent events
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!