Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana 44's

Mud King
    Yeah i didnt think about the tire rubbing problem on the narrow axle. I plan on running 36's so therefore i would have a problem. What if i ran some high negative offset rims to counteract the spring rubbing, but then i would be at the same width of full widths. I just dont want to look goofy as hell sittin all wide with a narrow ass body. But the first thing i have to accomplish is obtaining some money cuz im expecting this to be a major expense before it is all said and done and have it sittin right. Thanks for all the welcome backs it is much appreciated.

Mud King
    Whats the name of the place in dallas that had the 44 out of the 78 bronco.

True Hollywood Stry
    keep in mind that the 78-79 bronco axles are coil sprung axles, and if you wanted to run leafs you have to cut the radius arm wedges off the axle and them weld spring pads on, i think it would be a huge pain to convert it to a 78-78 bronco coil sprung front. also most or all rear waggy axles have and off set to them, where the pumpkin is not fully centered. just my .02
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

If you find a coil sprung D44 somewhere (like Tate's) then I can swap housing with you. Mine is leaf sprung, but I can reuse the Ford coil buckets and stuff off a coil housing with my suspension. The rear won't be very hard for you to do - new spring perches, adjust the rear driveshaft if needed, and making the brakes work. The front will just take some fab time. You'll have to figure out what leaves you want to use, then fab up a front crossmember (search through Chadnutz's thread to see how his looks) and then some way to mount the rear shackles. Leaves should be pretty easy to mount up, just keep everything square.

You might want to go check out Nix's Ranger for some basic ideas - he used YJ leaves on the front of it, so that may be similar to what you have in mind.

It does get expensive... Granted I have done more than just the front axle swap....

Make a budget and account for EVERYTHING. Try to have as much done before you start hacking stuff off as possible.

Measure like 100 times.

Mud King
    Yeah i've heard that its damn near impossible to grind those wedges used for the coil setup on the coil set up 44. I still keep turning back to the waggy 44. I just think it would look a whole lot better and i would actually have the tires sitting under the fenders. I plan on running 36's so would 4.88's be a good gear choice because this thing is going be driven all the time, i was even thinkin 4.56's but im afraid they would lag too much. Ive been doing someresearch and have found that a lot of guys use dodge dakota springs up front. Ahh another question, ok i get the 44 under there but then the yokes wont match up on my 231 and the 44 or would they. Would you just get a driveshaft made with two different sized yokes. Many questions.

Ben97XJ
    I am planning on running 5.13's in my dana44/Nine inch combo With 37's. But then i have a decent overdrive. I definately don't want to have to ever regear the same axles twice. I know a lot of people with 4.56's and 35's who wish they had 4.88's. So i am just going to go 5.13's.

Ben97XJ
    If you thinking of 44's read this article It covers everything.Dana 44's

What engine do you have? I'd assume it's a 4.3, so 4.88s will probably be good for you. I do know that 4.56s with 36s and a 4 cyl isn't enough...

Mud King
    yeah its a 4.3 and has been completely redone and has been bored out and has a mild cam in it so its pretty peppy. I have the five speed manual in it bu the fifth gear isnt much of an over drive. I just dont want it rapped out going 70.

Mud King
    Ok ive got me an axle its a Dana 44 out of a 85 Wagoneer and everything works great on it. It even still has good brake pads! Went and pulled it from pick a part in houston for a 100 bucks. Gonna start tearing it down and cleaning everything and painting it and have to find me some flat top knuckles for cheap and buy some histeer arms. My dilemma i am having now is as what spring to run up front? I have done a lot of research and am stuck on the idea of waggy springs they seem the best spring to fit. The stock waggy springs were flat so theres no way i would get 36's under there so ive been looking at 44044's but i still dont know if they would be enough lift. I looked at the skyjacker 4in waggy spring and called em and spring rate on those is a 470 which makes me think they would be a little stiff. What do yall think? As for the axle i have to convret it over to spring over and have to weld a spring perch on top of the casting on the housing which am a little unsure about. I want the caster to be right on the axle and dont know what is the best way to get the right caster when welding up the new spring perches? Just getting started guys and have a few questions. Thanks

nick has some 44044's in SA im sure he would sell you. we also have 2 jeeps here with dana 44 spring over convertions and and also a stock pair of 44s sitting in the yard, if you want to look at how and where they were cut down and welded to and all.... dont know how wide your frame is but the springs had to be outboarded 2" on each side to fit over the diff. even with the cutting.

did you keep the waggy springs? They'd be a good way to mock everything up, even if they're flat. Then you can bolt the 44044s in to put it 4" higher.
    If the 44044s are not arched enough, you're gonna have issues. They're made for like 4" lift on a spring under.
    You might want to think about getting some of your lift out of a dropped spring hanger. You'll get more lift than you think out of your outboarded shackle hangers as well.
    How did you choose 36s? Mebbe you should work out your suspension to get the geometry correct, see what fits in there and what it ends up looking like, then see how much room you have left for tires. if you can only fit 33s in the end, you'll still have a truck that's twice as capable. If you just have to go bigger, start messing with your spring packs and/or trim your fenders.
    my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I have 44044s in the front of my truck, sprung over, with 36s and POR tends to think it is too tall. Oh well, I don't think it will roll over sitting out in front of the shop as it has for so long now.

Shaggy
    to get your angle right on the axle, place it under the truck with the right pinion angle and tack the new mounts on... then pull the axle and weld the rest up... this seems to be the easiest way and it doesnt require any math