Thread: "New" Axles

BigRedFord04

"New" Axles

i know i've told a bunch of you about the 6x6 project i've got going on at work, if you're one of those you can skip this part...this customer of Vilas is having us (me) completely rebuild 3 axles for him to put to use under his `91 Chevy 1 ton, the factory 60 and 14 bolt and a front Dana 70 out of ~`80 IH military p/u. the front 70 will be the mid axle, and is going to get the steering knuckles cut off and have 14 bolt brakes put on. the pinion will face rear and there w/ a transfer case between it and the 14 bolt (front output powering the 70 and rear output powering the 14 bolt).

the guy was going to use his factory NP205, but realized that there was no way of making it a sealed divorced case, so he had to find a divorced case. he found that divorced case in a ~`60 IH 1.5 ton p/u. he paid $500 for the whole truck and was going to take the rest to Bryan Iron and Metal after getting the xfer case out. so i told him i'd like to see what axles were in it. I did, its another front 70 (which is ironic b.c. he paid Boyce Equip. $1200 for the one he has) and a really big 9" in the back. Freddy said its some kinda Borg Warner axle. Anyway, he told me if i got the xfer case out, and hauled the rest of the truck away i could take whatever i want. So, i really couldnt pass up FREE beefy axles, no matter how oddball they are. I recruited Jimmy Mancuso and with his truck trailer and Jeep we got it loaded onto the trailer yesterday and parked in our junkyard in front of Tate's F350. His part of the deal is that for hauling it off he gets whatever they pay him @ Bryan Iron and Metal. Heres a pic, aint it purdy?
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 04-21-2004 at 08:04 AM.

BigRedFord04
    the loadup...after quickly realizing that it wasnt going on forwards b.c. of the flat front tires i pulled it across the lot and we positioned to pull it backwards. snatch block anchored to the driver's side main beam on the trailer, and the winch cable running between the truck and trailer made for a pretty easy pull with only a few minor glitches, like the jeep sliding forward almost into the side of jimmy's truck, quickly solved by anchoring to mine. good times. thank you much to jimmy, carol and son.

PS. forgot to mention this...now, i've accidently run over my neighbors mailbox a couple of times, but its right across the street from our driveway, and visibility in a tall truck is limited. its always just kinda bent over ~45* angle and bent right back up w/o anyone noticing....while backing the trailer into our driveway, not only did jimmy run over their mailbox, but he flattened it to the ground...i dont think any of us could stop laughing for 10 mins. (beer was involved) tate kinda fixed it in hopes she wouldnt notice.