Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: changing rear spring hangers

changing rear spring hangers

hey guys im gonna be doin a little project this weekend if anyone wants to help. i've got an f150 and im changing out the rear hangers for 3" wide ones instead of the 2.5 " that i have. i'll be doin it friday at some point off of hardwood at my friends house. if you wanna help call and i'll give directions. 210 386 5708. and i'll have beer for whoever comes. thanks guys, later.

will

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah man count me in, since you bought that second grinder it should take to long to get it knocked out.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

where did you get your 3" hangers?

i'd like to do this to mine but do not want to chisle rivets out at a junkyard

i just went to gordons and they cut them off for me.

Violentv8toy
    i'll go for moral support....

edit: and whats the significance of changing from 2.5 to 3? I've never heard of it before.

he must be putting in Chevy springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    i'll go for moral support....

edit: and whats the significance of changing from 2.5 to 3? I've never heard of it before.

spring rates are different. 2wd rear springs are very soft. couple hundred pounds in the bed and its dropped a significant amount.

Violentv8toy
    so hes changing springs too? or just the hanger?

or you have to change the spring hangers to change the springs?

yeah im changing the springs too. THe springs that are on it now will make the butt end of the truck sag 3 or 4 inches if you just put a couple hundred pounds in there. and its just redicilous when you hook a trailor to it.

I know that feeling...everyone saw me sitting ass low this past weekend in Katemcy. What new hangers and springs are you going to use to do this swap...

Details, man, details...

brett I dont know about your trucks body style, but 80-95 (96?) 2wds had 2.5" springs and the 4wds got the 3". You take the hangers, shackle, springs, and ubolts off a 4wd truck, knock out the rivets and bolt it up.

and these shackle hangers almost fall under the "less than $100 - buy don't fab" rule

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ford1.htm

yup, i had bought a sterling 10.25 rear because it was a good deal and it came with rear springs and some other stuff. so i went to the junk yard and got some spring hangers and im gonna do a shackle flip so i can take my block out. i dont know if the springs are 3/4 or 1 ton but i doubt it matters cause i wouldnt use the overload springs anyhow.

Brett, I've got some of the 3" springs I may not want to use any more. Actually almost 2 pairs. I put together some 6 leaf packs with full length second leafs. They're 57" long and the center pin is at 25" from one end. The 3" wide f-150 springs are about 130 lb/in and the 2.5" are about 110 lb/in. Mine should be about 220 lb/in. As a comparison the rear springs on my jeep are about 300 lb/in and a little stiff. You got some coil stuff to get rid of?
    Last edited by eight; 04-27-2004 at 07:01 PM.

My rear shackles and the hangers that are on the frame are exactly like the old style ones. I looked at them compared to a buddy's 91 and I guess Ford kept them that way when they switched body styles. I was looking at getting a Fabtech lift for the front and doing that shackle flip to achieve true poseur truck status, but I'm not too excited about modding this truck.

I guess the hangers and shackles are wider on the 4x4 models, so you just get the hanger things off a frame, the shackles to go with them and some 3" wide springs and go at it?

Ryan - I got rid of most of my old suspension crap, but what would you want so I can look around in my storage unit...?

ill be your pickup man
    I have a pair of rear rear hangars off a Bronco that someone can have. I was going to throw them away.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4