Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hummer rims Yay or Nay!

Ben97XJ

Hummer rims Yay or Nay!

I have a question for yall. I found a good deal on hummer rims. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get them. I think i could either buy new centers or buy spacers to counter there backspacing and the fact that the bolt pattern is wrong. The only problem is that i am not sure that they make spacers to convert 5 on 5.5 to 8 on 6.5 and that if i use new centers then i am not sure if i could weld them in true enough to use on the street.
    Please give me your opinions.

I'd think austin could make you a set of spacer/adapters. On company time of course.

What would you use for tires?

How much is this good deal and do they come with runflats?

BigRedFord04
    i made some spacers/adapters for Xtreme, i think they ran like $80 for a pair, but just like everything else there, the more i make the cheaper each one is.

Ben97XJ
    Well they are in dallas right near my house and they are 8 bolt with Rubber or magnesium runflats. He said he would let them go for 40 dollars a piece. I not sure how many he has but he said he had a few. So which is better rubber or magnesium? Does anybody have experience with new centers?

Ben97XJ
    For tires i might ask you about some cheap hummer tires or i have been looking at 37x12.50-R15 or 16.5 Irock radials.

You'd have to go with 16.5 tires, and you might want to look in to differences between the various runflats and how they work with bias-ply and radial tires.

A guy here in Corpus re-centered some hummer wheels for his Dodge a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing fine. I don't think any extra special tools were involved...

Ben97XJ
    I know i was considering the 15 inchers so since they come in 16.5 inch versions i could still use the same tire. I think the rubber runflats would work the best. Also i think the rubbers are lighter but i am not sure.

If you're looking for cheap tires I have 4 37 X 12.50 Goodyear MT Hummer tires. 2 are @80%, 2 are @50%. All 4 delivered to College Station for $100. PM me and we'll work something out.

Try those 37s from Andy. I want to see how well they work. I'm not sure if the 36s I have with all the grooving work any better than the slick SSRs I had before. If I didn't have so dam many tires allready I'd take em. Or what the heck, I'll offer $50.

I hear the rubber ones are much heavier. No first hand experience but think about it, rubber vs magnesium which is lighter than aluminum. Plus you can cut the runflat part off the magnesium ones and have some badass fire starting stuff.

I'll donate a 35" spare if you want it.

Ben97XJ
    So i guess magnesium is the way to go.

Originally posted by Ben97XJ
    So i guess magnesium is the way to go.
    You can also get pvc inserts. Actually if you can find the correct drain pipe you can cut it and do it yourself. When the time arises I'm going to look into doing it myself.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04
    the runflats i got from andy to give to burris were annoyingly heavy. i'd have to say go w/ whatever is lighter.

From what I've read on pirate the rubber runflats are sought after the most. I believe they're easyer to cut down and have less of a chance of pinching against the sidewall and punchuring it. They might be heavyer but thats unsprung weight down low so its not that bad.

Joseph
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Ben97XJ
    the only problem with this is that 40 dollar rims plus 50 dollar centers plus whatever for PVC inserts that almost the price of civilian beadlocks from stazworks. Then i could buy 15 inch versions and run cheaper tires. It all adds up.

It does add up quick. You also have to factor in the cost of studs and nuts for the wheels. You're probably getting them from the same source Blake did and we had to deal with crappy studs on his. They worked, but only after we spent some time with a die and he bought some new nuts.

I also agree with Joseph about the rubber runflats. Looking at the prices of tires, I wouldn't want a magnesium runflat to puncture/pinch one of mine...