Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: changing rear spring hangers

True Hollywood Stry
    **** we didnt need no stinking torch they came off much easier than i expected them to. im gonna try and get up and get over there by like 12 or so if i dont get to sloshed tonight.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Violentv8toy
    i was gettin' drunk and i went over there...ended up going to 1306 or something like that...they invited me in...I sat down on their couch and then:
    *looks around*
    Me: so i guess yall haven't gotten to work....
    them: nope...still got awhile
    me: do yall have enough ginders?
    them: umm....sure?
    me: good....i was gonna bring my grinder...but thats ok
    *sits on their couch*
    them: cool
    me: so where is everyone? wheres frick...i saw his bronk out there...
    them: man....wtf is your problem?
    me:wha?
    them: man...you've got some problems you need to work out!
    me: fawk you...
    them: who the fawk are you anyway?
    me: I'm ****in mario...who are you?
    them: I'm frank and hes steve and Cloe
    me: well shiat i guess im in the wrong house
    them: oh....that explains it
    me: sorry...nice to meet you though...
    them: yeah...likewise....
    *leaves*

noone was working outside....so i left.

i figured it was the house across the street with the blue chevy....but noone was there.

haha yeah bro, that was it. we were prolly out gettin bolts loosened and gettin some new bushings ordered and grinding wheels. hahaha sorry about that bro. just stop my tomorrow. its up on jack stands now. those dudes always throw darts and what not. did thye have a maroon ford in the drive. i called anyhow, no answer. ah well. work continues tomorrow.
    Last edited by william_ace; 05-01-2004 at 04:19 AM.

hey guys i'm startin work again

come on over

True Hollywood Stry
    well we got the beast finished tonight at around 1 30 am and test run went really good got to get one new bolt and he's goodto roll minus his exhaust. Thanks a lot to eric for stopping by and lending a hand in loading up the sterling couldnt have done it without you man. Well it is time for me to get to finishing my project pictures and write up will be posted later by will or me.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Apparently people have done write-ups on this stuff, swore they did this conversion before with no problems, etc, but if you think about it, if you bolt up 3" wide springs exactly where 2.5" wide springs used to be, the spring pins must end up 1/2" farther apart. This makes for 1/4" on each side where the spring (block in this case) hangs off the outside of the perch.

Easy fix...we'll just weld an extension on each perch and she'll be good. If I were to do it personally, I'd probably just go with the junkyard add-a-leaf.

Side note: if you are doing this purely to increase load-carrying capacity, flipping the shackle buckets is probably counterproductive (but Will's got bigger plans for this truck, so it'll help in the long run)

Also note that when you releasing the axle from it's ubolts and it slides back, the driveshaft slides apart. This sucks, especially when you put the ubolts back on while the driveshaft is still on the ground...and then one pinion flange bolt rounds off...and then the bolts holding on the carrier bearing break.

Glad you guys got 'er done. Those girls are never going to volunteer their driveway again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    i had never thought about the spring centerpins being farther apart, but you're right. personally i think a 1/4" is close enough to force dat shiznit together and call it good. make the bushings do their job.

i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.

can someone with a 4wd f150 post the centerpin distance?

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    ...personally i think a 1/4" is close enough to force dat shiznit together and call it good. make the bushings do their job.
    Das what we did
    Originally posted by robertf03
    i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.
    That didn't seem to be the case here
    Will? Pics? Comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by robertf03
    [B]i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.

no they do not take care or that, also we still had to use like a two inch degreed block from one of his previous lifts, we also had to hack of his twice pipes since the driverside spring didnt have enough room to fit so we just cut them both off, thing sounds pretty good for a 300cid with header and flow.

i've been waiting a couple days to see how everything would handle. i guess the only thing i have left to do is weld the brackets to the frame. for being misguided by the people that i talked to, we did fairly well. actually really good. it sits about 2 inches higher and rides stiffer, which is what i wanted. the onld springs were WAY too soft, i mean you put 2 people in the back and it would sag 4 inches. now it holds its ground. the only thing now is welding an extension to the spring perch on the axle, but i may not do that because i'd like to find a 9 inch rear and build that up. the only problem with that would be the speed censor, but thats another project. i'll get some pictures together later and do a tech article. thanks a ton for everyone who stopped by, and kevin who was there for 4 days helpin.