Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milemarkers 9,000lb or 12,000lb winch

Moose

Milemarkers 9,000lb or 12,000lb winch

what's so bad about Milemarker. They have their winches on sale at 4wheelparts for $500 & $600 respectively. I know Warn is popular, but they seem like they have the same features...? the deal ends this weekend for free freight. reply ASAP. this is the 12,000lb that comes with a roller fairlead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Never had experience with mile marker. I've got a warn and I've been pretty happy with it. There customer service is pretty damn good. I thought it had solenoid problems with it and they sent me free solenoids. Now I think that may have been a contact problem. I also just took it in to have a gear replaced. The guy broke another gear after he fixed when he was testing it out and found that the brake was stuck. He replaced the gear again and the brake. All of this for free, as warn has a lifetime guarantee on the drive train. Only thing they don't cover are motors, but I've never had a problem with the motor.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Don't worry about 4whw ending the "free shipping". That deal never ends and they charge a "handling" fee.

Harbor freight has a 8000 lb winch for $279ish. I did some searching on them and found that they're made by ramsey and are just as slow as a ramsey, but don't seem the have problems.
    Last edited by eight; 04-30-2004 at 01:01 PM.

hey ramseys are good winches... yes they can be slow but who cares..

... and the milemarker ive heard that the electric ones arent that good.

if you get milemarker get the hydrolic winch... ive heard good things about them... but i have no personal experience with them

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Here you go boys.....best.....winch.......ever.......(head explodes)

http://store.yahoo.com/collinsbros/raymartwinches.html
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Well Freddy, are they any good? Who makes them? I noticed only collins sells em.

Looks good and performs good...
    They don't sound too proud of them
    sounds pretty "good" if you can't "affort" a warn or ramsey
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

fbronco86
    what about superwinch?

Milemarker electrics aren't supposed to be that great.

The problem with the hydraulic ones are that your engine must be running and able to idle up if you want to use it.

The Harbor Freight one is complete crap. Blake's has caught on fire at least three times that I know of, and is on his 4th rebuild. He's spent enough on that piece of crap to have bought two Warns by now...

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I'll tell you guys exactly what I tell the customers.

"We haven't had any of them come back yet, and not hearing from customers usually means they are happy. It's only when something is bad that you hear anything."

Then if they ask for my opinion, this is what I say:

"Personally, I would only put a Warn on mine. I want to be able to trust my winch so that when I get in a situation where I have to use it, I know it's going to work. "

Then the dumb****s go ahead and buy the "raymart"
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Moose
    damn. oh well. i guess what's another $300. i think my bronco weighs near the 4500lb range. I heard it's best to buy a winch that's twice your vehicle weight. so, the 12,000lb would be overkill for most jeeps and scouts?... even my bronco?

ishbo03
    i had a warn M8000 on a 77 blazer, ya know the heavy ass ones. anyway, 8000 lbs was even enough to pull that thing, i sometimes had to turn the wheels a little though if it was really stuck but for the most part it was fine.

the rule of thumb is 1.5X vehicle weight. Superwinch is a good winch, and their Husky series is nice also. They use to be the official winch in Camel Trophy when it was around. 40 + Stock Land Rovers somewhere in the rain forest during a monsson = lots of winching, so for them to keep them around they have to be fairly good. My Dad has a 6K on his trailer. Works pretty good and the stall load is around 7500 lbs. I've noticed this about all Superwinches and Husky's, that their stall is much higher than there rating.
    Another company I heard about a while back is Goodwinch. I think they were a UK brand. Not sure if they made the jump across the pond. I read a test article on them and they did fairly well. Lot's of pull and low amp draw. Big HP motors too. May try looking them up.

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by Moose
    damn. oh well. i guess what's another $300. i think my bronco weighs near the 4500lb range. I heard it's best to buy a winch that's twice your vehicle weight. so, the 12,000lb would be overkill for most jeeps and scouts?... even my bronco?
    Im guessing it weighs alot more than 4500. My 86 is probably around 6000-6500lbs
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    tate's is 6000lb+ too