Thread: chevy tbi?

aggiemudman

chevy tbi?

im going tbi over the summer and am in a bind as far as which throttle body to get. i dont want to go with the stock 5.7L tbi as to it only flows like 400 cfm, so its either between the holley 670cfm and a 454 which is slightly higher. any comments as to which one to get? anyone know how to program the computers to give different power curves and whatnot?

BigRedFord04
    holley carbs suck, are their TBs any better? dont think so...ask cooper.

what size motor and what kind of mods? 400 cfm will probably flow plenty. If high HP then may starve at high rpm. the smaller one will probably produce more low end torque, which is what you probably want- if you crawl.

aggiemudman
    its goin on a 350 thats been rebuilt and makes good power. prolly 300-350 hp. I just know that my budy has a stock 305 with the 350 tbi on it and its slow as crap. Just want somethin thats got good power.

stinger7401
    Originally posted by aggiemudman
    stock 305 with the 350 tbi on it and its slow as crap.
    Your answer.....305 is no where near a 350, and at that your having problems with aftermarket applications right now right? Why not stick to a stock app, easier to maintain and diagnos, Is your current motor cammed or ported or anything like that?

aggiemudman
    its gotta cam, not sure on the numbers, good for low end torque. ported a little. its not by any means stock though. its got aftermarket internals, pistons, crank, etc.

if its the same tbi on a 305 and a 350 and the 305 runs like crap how is it gonna feed the 350?

stinger7401
    its not the tbi that makes it powerless its the motor itself, we have a 305 in our blazer that is a dog, efficient, but powerless, the 350 in my z runs like a bat outa hell for a stock app. also if you dont have a stock setup in your engine your gonna have to have a custom flashed computer to run the thing, better start researching those specs...

aggiemudman
    so basically i need to find somewhere to get a custom chip programmed? i can use the stock computer just with the new chip right?

stinger7401
    either a chip or you need to have the coputer itself sent out and redone, i think howell will do that

aggiemudman
    what's howell? website, phone #? can anyone in the club do this? i know some can do tpi and stuff. didnt know if tbi was any different?