Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nix's Ranger

Shaggy

Nix's Ranger

Ok I have decided that the bronco doesn't have a chance to be done by TPP2 so we have decided to take Adam's ranger... but before we can take it we must do some things... i am gonna run my 9" and dana44 under it with my 35's... first things first is to get the axles put together... the 9" is complete but i need to pull out the stock shaft on the drivers side and put in the chrommolly one i have had for over a year now... i also have to move the spring perches in so as it can fit the narrow frame of the ranger... after that is to assemble the dana44... we have all of the parts but they are not together... most of it is still in the ttb pumpkin from my bronco so that needs to be pulled and put in the 44... we also have to make some spring perches for the 44... i havent looked at this yet but i dont see it being too hard... the 44 is a coil sprung one and we are gonna leaf spring it. but the difference in the width might make this doable... after that i think all is left is maby some conversion u-joints if they dont match up and uh-ghettoize all of the little things that have been done in the past... example: getting rid of the vicegrips holding the front leafsprings on and fabbing up a better transmission/transfercase crossmember... after this project is done i think that the ranger will be freaking sweet... fullsize axles 4.88's and lockers... shouldnt break anything too easily with such a light truck.... the work starts tomorrow... hell maby tonight

Bad idea. It will be kickass. Then you'll wanna run the one tons and 39.5s under it.

Is this just a way to pawn off the old axles on Nix? I think it'll work.
    Last edited by eight; 05-07-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Shaggy
    shhh dont tell him

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by eight
    Is this just a way to pawn off the old axles on Nix? I think it'll work.
    if by "pawn" you mean hold his truck hostage until he pays buttloads of $$ to get it back....YES!

i say you start it up, stand on the gas 'til it grenades, then see what it will go for in scrap after you cut it up, because of course you don't have a title...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

that could go in the new safety video!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    took the 1st step in this project tonite, which involves getting the 8-lugs on my truck so we have knuckles, brakes, etc for the spare 44. Anyway, i went to ho'reillys and got the bearings from the 8-lug stuff i got from kopecki warrantied, also, two of the ball joints from that stuff, and the two ball joints i changed out in katemcy....none of which i had receipts for....i think they know i dont pay for parts anymore, but i did buy a soda under the employee acct so they got like 10cents profit outta me. once we get the 8 lugs on mine we can build the front axle and have it complete before we tear into the front of the ranger. tate also went to xtreme and ordered new spring perches for the 9"...which, i thought about, and he should've gotten some for the 44 too since it will also sit under leaf springs gotta price rotors and calipers for the 8 lugs and as soon as i can get those we'll get the 44 built. all for now.

If you guys want to swap bare D44 housings then I can bring mine up next friday. It should be the same width at the spring perches as a YJ D30, so it would work a lot easier than putting perches on inboard of the coil buckets... I could also use the coil bucket parts off the radius arms to make my front swap a little easier.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    went to xtreme and ordered new spring perches for the 9"...which, i thought about, and he should've gotten some for the 44 too
    you've got a torch, why don't you get some square tubing and spend 15 minutes making some?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by bburris
    If you guys want to swap bare D44 housings then I can bring mine up next friday. It should be the same width at the spring perches as a YJ D30, so it would work a lot easier than putting perches on inboard of the coil buckets... I could also use the coil bucket parts off the radius arms to make my front swap a little easier.
    make it so #1

So, you're only replacing the ball joints I cut apart? Do the others too. They're 27 years old dammit.

Keep the housing you guys have bare - no knuckles or anything, and I'll get the knuckles off mine to bring up there. That'll be easier than me having to buy ball joints...

Shaggy
    Originally posted by uglyota
    you've got a torch, why don't you get some square tubing and spend 15 minutes making some?

they are like 2.50 each... not worth my time

BigRedFord04

Question

Originally posted by bburris
    Keep the housing you guys have bare - no knuckles or anything, and I'll get the knuckles off mine to bring up there. That'll be easier than me having to buy ball joints...
    i'm confused, what does all that mean? what are you planning on using? i've gotta take the parts off my truck anyway to convert the front to 8 lug.

I think brett is saying he wants to run radius arms on his tj, so he'll trade you a leaf spring housing for your radius arm housing