Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nix's Ranger

BigRedFord04
    yeah...i passed the f*(K out for like 3 hrs. when i finally woke up tate was on the couch, i asked him if we were going to work on it and he said he'd already done it. so....thats where that stands, no front axle, ready to be put together.

i got a call from nix last nite ~2am, evidently his flight got screwed up at the airport previous to where he was getting picked up so his flight was late. the flight landed late and he missed the connecting flight so he was stuck in vegas for ~8 hrs. he wont land in dallas until about 4 and will be heading straight here. so i'm here workin'...come one come all. bring beer.

Shaggy
    we are starting up now... bring hot chicks and yes no fatties

BigRedFord04
    1st shortcoming has been reached. we have no long side inner shaft to put in nix's truck. if anyone's got one they'd be willing to part with let us know. compensation is in order, whether it be payment or replacement, but we need one soon.

Shaggy
    lots of beer drinking going on now.... adam should be getting here shortly... they are all just watching the paint i am putting on dry... come on over... and remember no fatties

BigRedFord04
    lots of beer drinking transpired last nite starting ~9. adam got in just before midnite and was anxious to work, but there was nothing we could do before today. got up and went to vilas this morning and got the gears set, as well as made a reinforcement to put on the frame where it is cracked. about to bolt the axle up and complete the assembly. still need to fab steering and figure out a way to connect the front brake lines. i think we have plenty of beer left if anyone wants to stop by to watch/help.

BigRedFord04
    well....in keeping with tradition nix and I (along w/ various help from others) finished another axle swap in 2 days. i honestly dont remember specific details right now about the last 28 hrs which i've been awake, but its done, and he left to head back to dallas about 30 mins ago. after staying up all night, and spending a good part of it up at Vilas, it drove out of the driveway this morning for a test run. one incident of major "death wobble" just leaving my neighborhood, but none in the ~20 miles after that driving around town. the only hitch after getting done was breaking a booty fabbed u-bolt in the ho'reilly's parking lot. by booty fabbed, i mean it was late, and nix was tired of waiting for me to find a die to cut threads, so we cut the existing threads off the u-bolt, which was too long, and welded them to the lower portion, minus about 6". last order of business right before he left was adjusting the heim joint steering and adding lower shock mounts to the front so he could run shocks and help tame the squirlyness. i just talked to him on the phone and he said its cruising nicely on the highway, much better than w/ the D30 and 7.5". also said the 4.88s make a big difference for the better on RPMs.

pictures are up here: http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album410 and there are also a couple of movies, one for proof that it drove away, and the other just for giggles, that i think you should check out.

my personal favorite was this pic...what a goofy lookin' bastard...

...in reaction to this, seeing the full widths for the 1st time w/ tires on the truck.

Shaggy
    it looks good... another successful weekend taken to the very last possible minute....

usmcagg02
    the film clips wouldnt work

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    is he driving it back to dallas?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    last order of business right before he left was adjusting the heim joint steering and adding lower shock mounts to the front so he could run shocks and help tame the squirlyness. i just talked to him on the phone and he said its cruising nicely on the highway , much better than w/ the D30 and 7.5". also said the 4.88s make a big difference for the better on RPMs.
    I'm thinking yeah.

he's suppose to drive it to North Carolina

edit: or maybe it was SC?

Don't worry, as far as I know there is no dangerously unsafe bootyfab anymore. But after that u-bolt welding I'm not sure what they could have done. Got a bolt with a nut holding the pass front spring on now. Steering box is back on better than stock. Has shocks. More stable. Yall did tighten the nut on the driver side front spring yes?

BigRedFord04
    yes we did. and the only ghetto booty fab was nix's idea for welding the u-bolt. steering came out really sexy and only took about 45 mins to fab, as opposed to the endless hours we spent on mine...but of course i had a shop at my disposal w/ tools that work.

btw...i dunno why the videos wont work. i deleted them from the album and tried uploading again but it just gave me errors.

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcagg02
    the film clips wouldnt work
    i just realized what i think you're talking about :wink: ...that one wont get posted, but its in the private collection if you wanna see it. that was some funny sh!t. for your sake i did leave out a pretty embarassing one taken saturday nite.

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    i just realized what i think you're talking about :wink: ...that one wont get posted, but its in the private collection if you wanna see it. that was some funny sh!t. for your sake i did leave out a pretty embarassing one taken saturday nite.
    that wasnt the one i was refering to...but yea that was funny as hell. dont know the one of me you are talkin about ...pm it to me?