Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: mpg

Originally posted by eight
    What makes the most power and what makes the most effiency are two different things.

you're partly correct...

the thermal efficiency of an IC engine can be expressed as power out divided by the power in.

Nth= Wout/Win

in our case, work out is the amount of energy an engine produces and work in is the amount of chemical energy we put into the engine via fuel. if you increase one variable without changing the other then it will change the efficiency. Wout is directly proportional to Nth and Win is inversely proportional to Nth. so, as Wout increases efficiency increases. if the jets in a carb and the pulse width and fuel pressure in a efi engine arent changed, then Win doesnt change., but we can play with timing to run more efficiently and make more power. in a given engine with no mechanical modification and tuning only, max efficiency and max power are synonymous.

now, if you want max power from an engine regardless of modifications necessary you have to increase BMEP, brake mean effective pressure. BMEP is the average pressure that works against the piston top throughout the 4 stroke cycle. during power stroke this is positive in relation to motion. during the three other three stokes, the pressure in the cylinder is working against motion. so, you want to increase pressure during the power stoke and decrease it during the intake and exhast strokes (i.e.- better breathing=less pumping losses). decreasing pressure during the compression stroke would be more counter productive than anything else, so even though it works against power output, it more than makes up for itself during the power stroke. BMEP is what creates torque and HP is simply torque multiplied by a time and distance, how quickly the torque can move a given force a certain distance in the least amount of time. you can increase torque one of four ways. by increasing dynamic compression ratio, increasing stroke (the distance BMEP works), increasing the area of the piston top (pressure x area = force), or increasing the RPMs (which will decrease the time that BMEP is working). since the last three involve major modifications and would result in pretty much a different engine and for the sake of brevity, ill only talk about increasing dynamic compression ratio.

you can change DCR one of two ways. first, increasing the volumetric compression ratio. this is what you see referred to as 10:1, 11:1 and so on. this is a geometric calculation but does not mean you'll get that much compression during operation. for example, if you had a 10:1 CR and the intake runner was 1/4" in diameter, there is no way the cylinder would be filled when the intake valve closes. you would be starting the compression stroke with a negative pressure in the cylinder, not atmospheric. to increase DCR you must either increase CR or get as much air into the cylinder during the intake stroke as possible. this is one of the easiest modifications to do outside of proper tuning. anything that makes the engine breath better will help with DCR. the term that drives DCR is volumetric efficiency. this is the amount of air that actually fills the cylinder compared to the amount of air that is needed to fill the cylinder to atmospheric pressure. if an engine completely fills the cylinder to ambient pressure before the intake valve closes, then it is said to have 100% VE. forced induction engines can exceed 100% because the manifold pressure is above that of atmospheric. with 15 psi boost on pump gas, 200% VE is easily achieveable. a 350 sbc with 200% VE will flow as much air as a n/a 700 cu engine. therefor, it will be able to burn the same amount of fuel and produce the same amount of torque. horsepower will differ b/c the geometry and speed of the engine will differ. this is why they say that forced induction effectivly increases your displacement by a factor of two. typical small block engines operate between 80-100% VE with the latter being in the high performance arena where low end performance is sacrificed. some extremely well built high performance naturally aspirated engines can exceed 100% by taking advantage of the ramming effect brought on by high intake air velocities. this essentially results in a (slighty) higher than ambient pressure in the cylinder, possibly up 105% VE. when you increase VE you have more air in the cylinder for fuel to react with, so you need more fuel. in order to get more fuel you have to change the jetting on a carbed engine and the fuel pressure and/or pulse width on an efi engine. this decreases economy but not efficiency if the engine is performing where it should.

really, the only way to make an engine of said displacement get better gas mileage is to make it run at max efficiency, which im pretty sure its close to doing in the case of the 5.3l vortec. the next step is to reduce pumping losses, because an engine really is just a big air pump. better breathing is the answer to this. the PCM will be able to modify fuel and spark curves for any cheap modification you will make. frictional losses play a big part in power loss as well. the only easy and cheap way to do this is follow grayson's advice and run sythetic oil. there are many ways to do this internally, none of which are cheap or easy. gaining proper alignment and clearancing, teflon coatings and proper lubrication are all expensive and labor intensive operations. all this applies to making the engine more efficient. if you were trying to make it more economical you would need to reduce the displacement, therefor reducing the fuel requirment and potential power output. for the answer on how to do this, refer to my previous post.

in conclusion: efficiency and power are one in the same if you take into account the actual definition of efficiency. your statement would be better worded, "What makes the most power and what makes the best economy are two different things."

efficiency=power
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-15-2004 at 03:20 PM.

Ok I didn't read all that cause I gotta go shoot at somethin or make sure the jet ski still runs or somethin.... but yea, they can be related, and often are, but not allways. Like a cam with lots of duration makes lots of power but wastes some fuel, and tuning the air/fuel mixture to make the most power will cost more fuel than running it a little lean.

Originally posted by eight
    Ok I didn't read all that cause I gotta go shoot at somethin or make sure the jet ski still runs or somethin.... but yea, they can be related, and often are, but not allways. Like a cam with lots of duration makes lots of power but wastes some fuel, and tuning the air/fuel mixture to make the most power will cost more fuel than running it a little lean.

you're right on both accounts in the last sentence, but only the last sentance.

furthermore, if you're going to waste my time, try to make fun of me for doing it, and not read my post then why argue with me. im not cack measuring here. i just like to see gobs of good tech thrown around in the tech section of a forum.

the reason a cam with larger duration uses more fuel is because it increases the volumetric efficiency of the engine, needing more fuel to run efficiently. it will actually run at low efficiency at low rpms b/c of the increased valve overlap. you essentially are letting fuel out the exhaust valve before it even gets a chance to get burned. it significantly reduces DCR at low rpms, thats why big cams idle rough and make less power down low. at high rpms its a different story b/c the cam is made to operate there. engines have to be tuned for their intended use.

by playing with the AF ratio you are changing the (potential) efficiency of the engine. if you let either unburnt fuel or oxygen out the exhaust, then you are decreasing the engines efficiency. both elements are a potential energy source. if you circulate o2 through the engine without burning it, you are losing power to unecessary pumping losses. running lean leaves oxygen in the exhaust that could be used to burn more fuel. by fattening the mixture up you are burning the most fuel that amount of air will allow. lambda (the dimensionless variable the o2 sensor produces) for best ECONOMY is 1.05 or 15.4 parts air to 1 part fuel, this of course will reduce power output but get best gas mileage. however, by running lean you are essentially selling yourself short and not running at the engines potential efficiency. lambda for best power is 0.9 or 13.2:1 a/f ratio. for reference, a stoichiometric a/f ratio is 14.7:1 which is what most stock engines run at b/c it is a nice midway between max power and max economy. by tuning for a lambda of 0.9, you are burning the most fuel possible without letting any unburnt fuel leave the exhaust. so, while a lambda of 0.9 will net the best efficiency, it will also produce more power. these lambda values are for a narrow band o2 sensor (0-1.1v) as this is all i have experience tuning with. i would assume that the new vortecs have wide band o2 sensors(0-5v) so different lambda values are expected. to further answer the original question of the thread... a PCM retune for best economy could be done, but not cheaply. if you showed up at a performance place and told them this is what you wanted they would probably laugh at you anyways. maybe i just got too far off topic talking about efficiency, when this thread is really about economy. its evident that eight and i both understand how to tune an engine. we are just dissagreeing on the definition of these two words. so, to end this pissing match we've got going here and get back on topic, I'll let Mr. Webster have the last word.

economy (i-kon'e-me)- 1. the careful or thrifty management of resources

efficiency (i-fish'en-se)- 2. the ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system.

edited because i forgot to say, "dont argue with me because i am a MASTER deBATER."
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-17-2004 at 12:30 AM.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    i understand where you're coming from kopecki, but i dont see how extracting more heat from the engine via the cooling system affects efficiency. that energy doesnt get used anyway does it?
    this one will be quick i promise.

if the cylinder walls are hot then less heat can transfer from the burning mixture to the cooling system. if they are cool, then the heat differential is less and more heat can easily transfer into the cooling system. think of heat as air pressure, high to low pressure is easy, high to high is hard. heat that passes through the heads and cylinder walls doesnt get used to drive the piston.

usmcagg02
    well that is definatley more info that i was expecting to get. thanks everyone for the input. i'm gonna throw down some money one a new exhaust for one. and i've also thought about wrapping the air intake tube in something like header wrap to try and keep engine temps from affecting it. i'll let y'all know how it goes when i get it all done(which may be a few weeks)

almost forgot, while i'm sure that everyone know's austin's opinion on the best exhaust shop in town i was wondering if anyone else had a stong preference. at the moment i am kinda just considering mail ordering one and putting it on myself unless i can find a better deal.
    Last edited by usmcagg02; 05-17-2004 at 01:07 PM.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by usmcagg02
    almost forgot, while i'm sure that everyone know's austin's opinion on the best exhaust shop in town i was wondering if anyone else had a stong preference.
    just go to McAlister's....i hear they use some badass stainless stuff. Or the one on the very end of College on the right (Bryan Muffler?)...nothing they install EVER leaks

.....fawker

usmcagg02
    do you know what kinda prices they charge for true dual with h-pipe?

why do you want a true dual? You'd have to start ahead of the cat and rebuild the entire exhaust (b/c I'm pretty sure your truck only has 1 cat) which would mean you would need to put in 2 smaller-diameter cats, figure out how to keep the O2 sensors from getting confused, then 2 mufflers, then have a bunch of pipe bent to get it around your spare tire. Why not go with a Borla or Banks side-exit single exhaust? what I'm trying to say is that "true dual" is not always the best option
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

stinger7401
    actually from what i understand, in all the bigger cities with the smog problems and laws its getting harder to find places that will actually run the "true" dual setup, at least in SA where there are no laws yet its impossible to find a shop that will do it for a paying customer

Never impossible in SA. take cash to one of those yellow mexican muffler shops down on the south part of town by military drive. Then you find a local shop that does inspections that do not require the engine running.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

usmcagg02
    Originally posted by uglyota
    why do you want a true dual? You'd have to start ahead of the cat and rebuild the entire exhaust (b/c I'm pretty sure your truck only has 1 cat) which would mean you would need to put in 2 smaller-diameter cats, figure out how to keep the O2 sensors from getting confused, then 2 mufflers, then have a bunch of pipe bent to get it around your spare tire. Why not go with a Borla or Banks side-exit single exhaust? what I'm trying to say is that "true dual" is not always the best option
    for some reason i wanna say that i have seen two cats, but i havent even seen my truck in 4 months so i cant be positive. i'll have to look when i get back. if not then i guess i will just go with reagular dual exhaust. as for borla or banks=$$$$$.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Originally posted by usmcagg02
    for some reason i wanna say that i have seen two cats, but i havent even seen my truck in 4 months so i cant be positive. i'll have to look when i get back. if not then i guess i will just go with reagular dual exhaust. as for borla or banks=$$$$$.
    Hey, try reading the first page of the ****ing thread...

Originally posted by Fredo
    You're telling me it's a good idea to hollow out all FOUR cats on a 5.3L chevy? You're also saying that the computer won't figure it out and trip the check engine light, or even pass inspection?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Hey, try reading the first page of the ****ing thread...

i finally got back an was able to check, i do have two cats on my truck like i thought. where did you hear that chevy's came stock with 4?
    Last edited by usmcagg02; 05-23-2004 at 11:15 AM.

unless longbeds or some other **** is different, they only have two that I can see. There might be one hiding inside the manifolds or in the pipe itself It does however have four O2 sensors, one before and one after the cat on each side. I have heard that they flow well and there is no reason to **** with them. True dual would be wicked easy to do though, because it is true dual right up until it empties into the 55 gallon drum muffler. Then some chrome "boom tubes"!!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    True dual would be wicked easy to do though, because it is true dual right up until it empties into the 55 gallon drum muffler. Then some chrome "boom tubes"!!
    yeah, but they both dump into the muffler on the passenger side, so if you want twice pipes, you need to force half of that exhaust back across the truck to the driver's side...just so you can have a pretty pipe coming out of each side of your bumper. If you're really going for performance/efficiency/etc, dump them both on the right side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools