Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: chevy troubles

is there an egr valve that's cheap and/or easy to replace?
    I'd start there
    Think you could have gotten a batch of bad gas? Maybe top off your tank and hit it with some of that octane booster stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

fbronco86
    so has any one heard this noise? Cause they is a big difference between an engine miss and valve train/wrist pin problem.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    is there an egr valve that's cheap and/or easy to replace?
    I'd start there
    Think you could have gotten a batch of bad gas? Maybe top off your tank and hit it with some of that octane booster stuff
    egr valve and cheap not so much. I think for the one for the bronco/mustang motor is like 80 bucks at horeilys

egr valve isnt your problem. it'll make it run terribly if it gets stuck, but wont make noises. i wouldn't worry about it until you get everything else niched first.

if it is a ping (bad gas) and it's that bad, and you have been driving it for a while now. it's probably not a ping anymore. if thats the case then it may be a wristpin because the piston top has burned away and its melted the wristpin.

just thinking out loud, could be a spun bearing

aggieblazer07
    I think it is a wristpin. I'm going to have a guy listen to it friday morning and see what he suggests. If I need a new engine what are some good places I can call around here to get prices?

ok, two more ways to troubleshoot mechanical problems:

if you suspect its a bearing or wristpin:
    sounds cooky but works (usually). remove one plug at a time and crank it over or drive it around the block. when the suspect noise ceases, thats your cylinder with the bad bearing/pin

if you suspect valvetrain problems:
    such as a stuck lifter or valve out of adjustment. get a screwdriver (put one end to your ear and the other to the engine, preferrably the blunt end to your ear and the sharp one to the engine), peice of hose, or a stethescope and listen to the valve covers while its running. move it along the valve cover and where it gets loudest is the problem area. i picked up a auto stethescope at o'reilly's once to see which of my injectors were stuck. they're great to have to troubleshoot engine noises. they have a probe on the end instead of the pad thing doctors have.

to get your engine rebuilt: vilas

to get a pull-out motor: doggett auto salvage (i think thats the name, the one on the SE corner of the hwy6 and 190 intersection)

to get a new engine: the dealer
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-27-2004 at 02:20 AM.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aggieblazer07
    I think it is a wristpin. I'm going to have a guy listen to it friday morning and see what he suggests. If I need a new engine what are some good places I can call around here to get prices?
    where are you from?

nothing agienst vilas but i havent heard very good things about them(no offense austin)
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

i had a head for my old 258 rebuilt at napa in bryan. they do good work, i just didnt like the guys' attitudes there.

fbronco86
    I think someone is going to have to hear this "noise" to understand what it is. are you in cs?

aggieblazer07
    until about 3. Then I'm heading home for the weekend

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03
    nothing agienst vilas but i havent heard very good things about them(no offense austin)
    i'd like an explaination of that. between the guys there there's probably 50+ years of experience building engines. cooks doesnt do very good work. they cut corners and their method of cleaning a block fills the water jackets w/ shot peen, which they dont try very hard to get out. hows that for a cooling system?

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    i'd like an explaination of that. between the guys there there's probably 50+ years of experience building engines. cooks doesnt do very good work. they cut corners and their method of cleaning a block fills the water jackets w/ shot peen, which they dont try very hard to get out. hows that for a cooling system?

thats what i hear from most of the mechanics here
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

BigRedFord04
    what is what you hear? from mechanics where?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I remember we were getting a couple of ball joints pressed into some 44 knuckles one time in CS and we were looking for someone to press them in since we didn't have a press. Took them to Cooks, and I **** you not, they said, "what are those?" Then, they said they "thought" they could do it, so we dropped them off, came back a half hour later and they were like, "well, we couldn't figure out how they were supposed to go in there." We proceeded to take them and walk out and drive directly to Vilas where they pressed them in while we waited. I wouldn't trust Cooks to make me a peanut butter sandwich.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)