Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: durabak paint job

Moose

durabak paint job

so my bronco's been riding around in primered bondo and wet sanded base coat for about 5 months. finally, the moose is drip / leak free and i can begin work on the rest of it. but i need something to keep it from rusing. so why do a $500 maaco paint job when it'll have a dozen or so dents per year to repair and repaint. why not just paint it with bedliner material? durabak comes in several colors at around $110 per gallon? "durabak won't scratch, peel, fade, allow rust, or scuff. one gallon covers a 6' truck bed with two coats."
    Last edited by Moose; 06-10-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Man that's groundbreaking info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Hell, a dozen or so dents? Just rattlecan it with Duplicolor, roll it, and build a buggy
    Jus playin'...Make sure about that fading and peeling stuff, tho. Sounds kinda cheap to be able to meet those expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Moose
    this is the stuff

well, seein that few members have done it, i figured there were cons. couldn't hurt to be the ginny pig?

aggiemudman
    http://4x4review.com/products/body/bedliner.asp

check this out it might help.

fbronco86
    i would not worry about small dents. If you are going to wheel this big boy its gonna end up looking my bronco or kreb's blazer.

Shaggy
    i have beadliner on my bronco and it is heavier because of it... it isnt like it is heavy already but some say every pound counts... it looks cool and is very durable... i rolled mine and have smashed it into trees and it hasnt come off yet

Moose
    small reason is, i've always loved the hugger orange... NOT burnt. i wanted to paint my own truck, but am having difficulty forking out a couple hundred dollars for paint, thinner, hardener, and gloss. then doing a half ass job myself with puke orange on one side and fire orange on another panel. not worth it. this way, i won't have to sweat recreating the perfect mix to match paint colors when repairs are necessary... even though, yes, this will be a trail vehicle, my neighborhood has issues with landscaping codes and whatnot. after a only three days of having an empty flatbed on the property, i got a warning one night that the trailer would be towed the following morning if i did not remove it. the jeep almost looks perfect.

anywho, thanks for the link. sounds like i'll need a couple of old longsleeve t-shirts, and a sander. the body will be hugger orange, the removable top will be white to combat the heat, and the tub will be black. glacious for the replies.
    Last edited by Moose; 06-11-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Moose
    oh yea, i forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    Man that's groundbreaking info.

Tate, is yours durabak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Shaggy
    it is superliner

the scout's got a cheap-o piant job and its chipping from rocks thrown up on the lower quarters. im thinking about doing a low bedliner coating to keep it from proliferating (haha big word). would this stuff stick to paint or does it need to be a prepared surface?

Shaggy
    it will stick to paint but i would definitly do some prep work on it

Moose
    100 grit sand paper, then clean and dry, wipe xylene on it before applying rubber coat.

Moose

painted

wow. 10 1/2 months. i guess i really am that busy. between then and now, i think most of you are right about the maintenance. it will be a b!tch to repair after a tree takes a panel with it. but hey at least i'm not from ut... it's HEMI orange!