Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1990 big block chevy 6.0L

AgDieseler

1990 big block chevy 6.0L

1990 6.0L (366 cid) big block truck engine out of a bus. It's got some damn thick cylinder walls. It a good old four bolt main, double roller timing set, a 10 qt oil pan, and rectangular port "hi-per" heads.

$350

Contact Neal Johnson: 214-226-1725

more pics

Last edited by AgDieseler; 06-24-2004 at 09:41 AM.

AgDieseler
    Nobody? Come on, this thing is cherry!

Know anything about crank/pistons/rods forged or no?

usmcagg02
    you should build one of those boss hoss type bikes with that *****

Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    Nobody? Come on, this thing is cherry!
    What good is it?

AgDieseler
    It's not my engine, so these are guesses, but I would bet on the crank and rods being forged. It's a heavy ass engine, and would work well for a truck. The heads aren't the best flowing for hot rodding, but there's a lot of room left in the casting for porting so there might be hope. It's a good engine that turns.

It would be fun to build a truck around it, but honestly, I would rather spend the cash on Cummins power.

What good is it? It's good at consuming Arab oil.

personally wouldnt buy it for fear that parts are scarce. whats the bore, stroke, rod length, stuff like that to see if it shares parts with other bbc. seems kinda like the old huge 6 clylinders gm put in dump trucks in the 60's. like 350 ci or something, parts arent easy to come by for those.

btw, nothing in 1990 was "hi-per" in bbc terms a rectangular port is high performance.

it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts and weighs a ton without any extra performance. i betting the power to weight ratio is pretty close.

how many miles? does it need a rebuild? have you ever seen it run? would it make a good boat anchor?

AgDieseler
    It's a regular big block. It could be bored over to a 396, 427, 454, 468, 496 easily. I have no idea: how many miles, if it needs a rebuild, if it runs/ran. I wish I knew more about the motor, but like I said, it's not my engine.

I posted it as a favor, but it's tough to make a sell if you don't know anything at all about the motor. Sorry, I wish I knew more.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    personally wouldnt buy it for fear that parts are scarce.
    I wasn't trying to be an ass...this is mostly what I was wondering about. I hadn't ever heard of that motor and the only busses I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of driving have been diesels...

not trying to be an ass either.

ok, here's what i know:

if its a truck block its a tall deck. i looked at all the pics and didnt see any casting numbers. the deck height is .4" greater on a tall deck motor. the 366 (i assume) and 427 truck block has a deck height of 10.2", the
    396, 402, 427,454 light truck/car block is 9.8". this is because they used four ring pistons. they moved the wrist pin down and used standard conn rods.

im guessing the crank is not a standard bbc (as in 396 or up). most likely a destroked 396. so, you'd either have to leave it like this or go custom. a friend of mine in cs built a 447bbc out of a 427 tall deck motor for his vette. best i remember he used standard 427 pistons and .4" longer conn rods. anyone who's familiar with smokey yunick will know the benefits of longer conn rods. the heads im sure are prolly the worst bbc heads available. being from 1990 and oval port, they more than likely leave a lot to be desired. they are probably open chamber heads too, meaning low compression ratio. however, being "hi-per" heads they could be closed chamber (higher CR) but im sure this is all that "hi-per" entails. it'd be a cool project if you wanted to spend the money. or at least a bullet proof motor for a rig as it is.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 06-24-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    I hadn't ever heard of that motor and the only busses I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of driving have been diesels...
    I wondered about that too, what bus made in the last 15 years wasn't diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts and weighs a ton without any extra performance. i betting the power to weight ratio is pretty close.
    The old IH 345, known for its weight and power.....way too much and not enough
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

AgDieseler
    I'll be sure to pass this all along since the owner certainly doesn't know anything about the engine.

AgDieseler
    I edited the top post for contact info.

From what I understand Hi-Per doesn't mean anything. I saw it cast into the timing chain area of a 408 at my shop and my boss said it's just something they cast into blocks and heads
    BDR