View Poll Results: What is the best front locker for the suburban?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get a full Detroit - pricey, but worth it.

6 50.00%
  • Get a spool - cheap and effective.

2 16.67%
  • Get something else: please post a suggestion.

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's my best D60 locker value?

AgDieseler

What's my best D60 locker value?

I've started to finish out my D60, and it has come time to decide on a locker. Knowing that the suburban is a daily driver, tows regularly, and is part of the real rigs drive home club, what do y'all think is my best locker value? I'm planning on running 37s and 4.88s and regular warn locking hubs.

I'm between a full detroit and a spool right now. Vote, or suggest a new option.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 06-23-2004 at 10:44 AM.

selectable locker. I think a spool up front is retarded
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yes
    one word ARB, i think its the best way to go up front..... or rear

never lock the front axle on a daily driver unless it is a selectable locker

...plus, with a vehicle that big, a selectable locker might be advantageous on the trail to get the thing to turn.

Jimmy - What is the difference between locking the front diff on a daily driver and locking it on a trail rig? Manual hubs pretty much negate the ill effects of a locked front diff....

David - Will ARBs work with your CO2? You can thank ESL for that locker. Don't be sneaking any TAMOR members in after hours either. You haven't been working long enough to merit a slap on the hand.

Shaggy
    i am planning on getting a detroit as soon as i have some bank... or maby an electric locker i dunno i am too poor and will just run it open for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Jimmy - What is the difference between locking the front diff on a daily driver and locking it on a trail rig? Manual hubs pretty much negate the ill effects of a locked front diff....
    You are right I forgot about manual hubs, but on the trail who wants to get in out of their rig to lock and unlock everytime you want to make a tight turn

Shaggy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmancuso
    You are right I forgot about manual hubs, but on the trail who wants to get in out of their rig to lock and unlock everytime you want to make a tight turn
    i did this my last run and it is no fun ... no fun at all... seemed like i had to do it over 400 times... i think it was just worse because i only had one front shaft though

AgDieseler
    Okay, selectable is sounding like a nice alternative except for the price tag. The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are: ARB, OX, and Electrac. I don't like the idea of the diff cover being part of the system since it tends to get smashed by rocks, so that rules out the OX and Electrac.

The ARB should work with CO2, but I'd have to check the locker's cfm requirements as my regulator isn't a high flow unit. Does the ARB need a constant pressure source, or does it just need pressure to engage it, and then it stays engaged on its own mechanically? What max/min pressure does the ARB require? Does anybody have a line on one?

it just needs the air to engage, if youve seen my resevoir it is tiny, i think it only fills up to like 7 psi or around there, and i can usually engage front and rear twice, then the pump kicks back on to fill it back up. and yes it stays locked mechanically.... kinda, the air stays in the locker, when you turn the switch off it releases the air and it goes back to an open locker. i know people buy the little silinoid that lets the air through and just put in on their on board air tank, i would ask them about the CO2 though.
    Last edited by J Cooper; 06-23-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Me thinkith ARB needs constant pressure. And they like to leak a little. Seen it plenty of times when the front's not pulling cause the ARB leaked all the air out of the OBA tank and the person just has to flip the pump on. Not an issue with OBA, but with CO2..... Or maybe they just had an empty tank before switching the locker on.

What other lockers are available? Mike says lockrite is discontinued? He seems to like his. They make aussielocker for 35 spline 60?

You plan on putting hydro assist? Getting rid of push/pull?

When I get a 60 I'll most likely just weld it, but I don't think that'd be a good idea with 6000 lbs on it all the time.
    Last edited by eight; 06-23-2004 at 05:52 PM.

havent had a problem with mine leaking and they are both 10 years old.

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    You plan on putting hydro assist? Getting rid of push/pull?
    When I get a 60 I'll most likely just weld it, but I don't think that'd be a good idea with 6000 lbs on it all the time.
    Steering is on the list, but not until after I've got the 60 in and I've managed to save more money for the steering changes. I don't want to make this project so big that it take forever (or 29 pages) to finish.

Oh, and the truck weighs 9000 lbs on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    The ARB should work with CO2, but I'd have to check the locker's cfm requirements as my regulator isn't a high flow unit. Does the ARB need a constant pressure source, or does it just need pressure to engage it, and then it stays engaged on its own mechanically? What max/min pressure does the ARB require? Does anybody have a line on one?
    It needs constant pressure source, and Min pressure is 85 psi
    max 105 volume is not a problem it is less than an cubic inch per cycle