View Poll Results: What is the best front locker for the suburban?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get a full Detroit - pricey, but worth it.

6 50.00%
  • Get a spool - cheap and effective.

2 16.67%
  • Get something else: please post a suggestion.

4 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's my best D60 locker value?

I've heard that ARB won't warranty a locker if it breaks and a non ARB compressor was powering it. I don't know if that is true or not. I can't see why unless you put too much air to the locker and it blows a seal or something internally. I say go with the ARB. They have been definitely tried and tested. Another company from down under is Jack Macmanara (sp?) lockers. I'll search and see what I find.

It's McNamara. These guys are the rage in Toys and LR's down under. A D60 down there is something like $5k AU! These things are suppose to be as reliable and/ or stronger than ARB. Here's the link They have a vacuum actuated 60 locker!
    http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/ordering.html

Looks like it's solved, but I've heard of plenty of people running ARBs off CO2. I think Powertank sells a manifold for that purpose.
    I don't think I'd rule out OX just because it uses the diff cover. I seem to remember that cover being pretty beef.
    PS 9000 pounds?! That's 3 ugly trucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Why not get a Detroit and not worry about air leakage, cable malfunction, odd diff covers or any of that other crap? If you need to make a really tight turn you can just kick it out of 4lo to 2wd and turn. It's not like you do a whole lot of tight trails and fast competitions...

The only other reason I can see for selectable vs. detroit is if you ever plan on doing any winter driving, go to the mountains, snow skiing, etc.

AgDieseler
    It's not that I don't like the idea of an air locker, it's the price that kills me. Brett's right, the suburban is far from a comp rig, and can barely fit down some trails. This is why I want input on the best locker value.

Until recently, I didn't even think that putting a 60 under the suburban was a worthwhile project since I wasn't tearing up my 10 bolt. That is until I've found my limited slip not holding well enough on hill climbs, and even with a gentle engine and foot I still have managed to elongate the axle shaft ears over the past few trips.

While I think that an ARB is an excellent choice, I'm not entirely convinced that the better performance and options warrants the extra $300-$400 over the price of a detroit.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 06-25-2004 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    Why not get a Detroit and not worry about air leakage, cable malfunction, odd diff covers or any of that other crap?
    Only place I've heard of ARB's leaking is the lines, and I'd bet that its the installer, not the product that sucks

If you're just stretching the yokes you should just weld the caps in. It will stop that. Its cheap, easy, and works.

Then find something fun to put that 60 in.

I see ARB'S for around $600 all the time. If you know someone you can find them for around $500.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    It's not like you do a whole lot of tight trails and fast competitions...
    And you're gonna upgrade your steering eventually anyway, so you'd probably be better off getting the detroit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    If you're just stretching the yokes you should just weld the caps in...
    It's more than that. I think we can all agree that the 10 bolt wouldn't live up to 4.88s, a detroit, and 37s. That's where I want to go, and instead of wasting about $700-$800 on my current axle, I'll just dump that money into the 60. It doesn't require much more money, and will give me twice the strength.

I just got off the phone with Jeremy at FWP in Austin. The best deal he can make on a detroit is $500, and $725 for an ARB. Either way, I've still got some saving to do.

usmcagg02
    you could decide to go with an arb then use that as an excuse to justify buying a compresser as well. after all, if you are gonna spend money...why dont ya spend all of it.