Thread: sbc motor mounts

sbc motor mounts

had something similar to this from M.O.R.E. in the old set-up:

didnt like it, too much vibration and hard to get the engine into.

looking at going to a stock style like one of these:

on the right is a clamshell style. id modify what ive got bolted to the engine to work with this and fab a tower for the lower section to bolt to.

on the left is the "early style". it bolts directly to the engine and the other end bolts to whatever tower i fab. im not sure how these looked in the OE application. what did they connect to the frame with? what'd it look like? anybody have any pics? says its from a 63-82 chevy v8 car. i like this one better i think.

any opinions?

Violentv8toy
    i've got the AA universal adapters...they're pretty good with zero vibration. I'll find a picture for you.

Violentv8toy
    don't mind the pimp welds.....it was welded with 'ole bess'
    Attached Images Attached Images  

those are different than the ones ive seen, or maybe its just that AA pics arent very good. ill keep that im mind.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 06-24-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Violentv8toy
    well, when you look at the way the bushings are molded and shaped into the metal, theres no shear on the bolt at all....the only thing the bolts do is mash the bushings together.

i edited while you were replying...

do the AA's have the bolt holes on the top part predrilled or do you drill your own?

Violentv8toy
    they're predrilled so you can use them on whatever holes. for a frame thats wide or narrow. Right now i've got them on the 2nd from the inside holes and the framerails are 22" apart....so i figure you can use em for 19-30" inside framerails.

ready to weld on and go. they're easy to pull the engine and put it back in.

edit: and what is also cool about that is that if you're junk is build kinda weird, you can cheat the engine to the left or right. I put it center but i kind of need it cheated to the driver side so my dipsticks aren't so crowded.

edit2: but the problem is that if you build them yourself you wouldn't have the bushings with the little recesses or whatever that don't put the load on the bolts....eitherway you can probably get away with some heavy heavy duty bushings and a grade 8 bolt.....
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 06-24-2004 at 11:33 PM.

im gonna cheat it to the drivers side and try to get a cv shaft on the front. dana 300's and 700r4's werent designed to go together and dont leave much room in there. plus, my a/c compressor will require me to offset it. what concerns me is if where i need it to be falls between two holes then id have to add some kind of spacers between the frame and lower mounts. those would be easy to build though and i could just drill holes where i need em.

i just remembered, the "early style" wont work for me because ive got to add a bracket onto the mount for the a/c compressor. lt1s had the pass side mount set back and flipped to accomodate for this. the OE a/c bracket bolted to the common sbc front mount hole. since im gonna try to get some kind of headers in there im gonna move it forward and make more room. i could do this with the AA or clamshell mounts. so, forget about the "early style", but id like to see some clamshell mounts "in car".

Violentv8toy
    don't quite understand about the second paragraph, but if you can just weld some .25" - 1" plate to your framerail and weld the lower mount on....

sorry i couldn't help...i don't know anything about stuff i've never messed with before.

you helped, id never seen a good pic of the AA mounts. they may be my best bet.

I'm running the AA mounts too and they seem to be pretty well built. I've heard a few people say that the bushings don't last long but only time will tell. I got them through www.RockBuggySupply.com while he was having a AA sale and got an awsome price.

Joseph
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's