Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 wheeler

ishbo03

4 wheeler

my dad is looking into getting a 4 wheeler, mainly for trail and off road use. i was wondering if anyone knew of any for sale. also, we have a limited knowledge about 4wheelers so any advice for us while we are looking would be helpful. what size engine should we get, do we really need a locking diff, standard trans or auto, etc. thanx

chevsu
    i have one i need to get rid of. its a 03 model very few hours on it. its sits in a barn all the time. only asking $3500 for it. its 2wd. must buy!

you finaly going to sell that thing.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

cntryboy1865
    I like hondas. I have found that they seem to be the most reliable. I have a fourtrax 300 4x4, and it has done nothing but run. I have drown it out like four times and road the **** out of it, and it still does not burn a drop of oil. Honda is proud of there stuff though, so expect to pay a little more. Polaris probably has the best ride, and best price, but they spend alot of time in the shop. Kawasaki and yamaha are also pretty reliable depending on the model. Also another thing to consider is what you will be doing. For most things 400cc or smaller will be fine. Now you go to hauling alot of stuff or running 28 inch tires you might want more power. As far as automatic or standard. I like standard cause it is alot more reliable. No belts to burn up, but automatic fourwheelers are becomeing more reliable, so it really just comes down to preference. Get a fourwheel drive, a two wheel drive will just piss you off all the time when you have to push it out of every mud whole you come to.

aggieblazer07
    Polarises are good for just driving along trails, but I like the hondas better. They are almost indestructable. A buddy of mine has one that has been flipped over 30 times and still runs great. We had a polaris that we went easy on and blew the engine within 2 years.

BigRedFord04
    "its a honda, it'll go forever, it doesnt know any better" - Jimmy Brune

ishbo03
    yea i want to go with a 4x4 model, it will be used for offroad use, no real hauling stuff around or anything. so i dont really need to go over 400cc? what should i stay above? and your sayin i will need over 400cc to run 28in tires, what size do they come with initially and is it the same principle as a truck, bigger tires, bigger lift or do u not need a lift?

Mack84
    hondas are good. mike has a 87 and it still runs like a champ

BigRedFord04
    you're in this club to lift something and put bigger tires on it....duh....its a requirement for off-road use on those things anyway, cuz the companies make them initially for on road use only.

btw, you g/f lifting her rig doesnt count for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack84
    hondas are good. mike has a 87 and it still runs like a champ
    For some reason I thought that Mike had a suzuki?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

ishbo03
    i havent had too much experience with 4 wheelers yet, is ground clearance a big problem or could i do most stuff with the stock lift? if my dad buys one i would possibly bring it on the trips to mess around with as well. just curious, does the club frown on people who bring 4 wheelers to use on the trips?

cntryboy1865
    as far as a lift on a fourwheeler I would try to stay away from it if at all possible. most four wheelers come with 25 in tires from the factory, and they suck. Most fourwheelers can fit a 27 without a lift. fourwheeler lifts just push everything down. This puts extra stress on you cvs up front along with the added weight of the tires can cause things to break. 400 cc will run 27s, if you want 28s you will need more power and probably a lift. As far as ground clearence, it is everything on a fourwheeler. You will get the most by getting one with four wheel independent suspension i.e. Honda Rincon or polaris sportsman. they have great ground clearence from the factory, smooth ride, and can run just about any tire without a lift. If it were me I would get the Honda Rincon. 650cc, 3 speed auto with torque converter (like a car) susposed to be impervious to mud and water, 4 wheel independent suspension, I believe a selectable locking front differential, and I think even a gps navigation system. Really cool fourwheeler.

Mack84
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    For some reason I thought that Mike had a suzuki?
    Nope the fourwheeler at the lakehouse is a honda

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack84
    Nope the fourwheeler at the lakehouse is a honda
    its a trx350 fourtrax=bad dude honda

soild front and rear axles with rear locker. two things i dont like about. its slow and its full time 4 wd so it turns like crap.

FTAco07
    I've done alot of lookin at new 4wheelers lately and i've found 2 that stuck out. If i was going to buy one it would be a Suzuki Eiger 400. Selectable 4wd, lever for a front limited slip/locker (don't know which), durable, can fit 37's, and it's fast as hell. My other choice would be a Kawasaki Prarie 360. All of the above, but it's not quite as fast and alittle more $. I have a buddy that got one and he loves it. I would personally never by a polaris. Best friend back home got a brand new Polaris 700 IRS with the works and blew 3 of the 4 cv shafts in the first 2 months. Not to mention that thing is heavy as hell. I've seen nothing good from the polarises we used to ride with.