Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The stalling wonder - 91 toyota

Violentv8toy

The stalling wonder - 91 toyota

Welcome to my buildup thread!

I decided since everyones got a buildup thread (it seems) that I want one too. I've got a great paying job, so i'll be sinkin' some money into the toy in the next few months. My goal is to make a toy that can tackle some wicked trails but at the same time, be part of the RRDH club...and be nice enough to drive daily.

Of course, i've 'built' it before, but it seems i run out of money before i ever finish something. So far it stands as a 1991 toyota pickup with a 350ci that never runs right and leaks like no other, th350 that is pretty much perfect, an np205, d44 front axle 4.1s, 8" toyota 4.1s.

My first question is: should i ditch the axles and go d60/14Bfullwidth?

Otherwise, the change will definately go something like this:
    RND1:
    -get the 350 completely redone professionally
    -go propane
    -new front spring hanger (drop truck 2" bring axle forward 1")
    -lose rear blocks (lengthen wheelbase, move axle back a tad)
    -gloss black paint/bodywork
    -propane tank underneath bed

RND2:
    -stang seats (neoprene covers)
    -new carpet
    -tint
    -sound
    -onboard air

RND3:
    -all new brakes
    -a/c
    -bumper/sliders/winch
    -possible d60/14B or toy t-case w/4.0s
    -39" iroks or 38" swampers

this time i won't run out of money, and i will complete it and not cut corners.
    Depending on the leniency of my new roommates, i might do a frame up rebuild...por15 the whole frame/axles...cut off excess weight. I might skip the d60/14B and instead put the money towards a th350/toyt-case adapter and go with a toy t-case with 4.0s. Undecided. Eitherway, i plan on getting it to a wheelable state asap and will not miss any tamor trips.

BigRedFord04
    propane is put it on any desktop dyno or the like...you lose like 50% of the power. have someone build your 350 into a GASOLINE fuel injected 383. I'm sure Fredo could cough up a few suggestions on how to do it. the stroker kit from Summit is only $1100 mr. moneybags. i say swap out the axles too. probably wanna go w/ a bigger xfer case, like a 205, but to do that you'd need a 465 to go behind your 383.

everyone jump on this bandwagon...we'll have this toyota americanized before you know it

Don't need no gas, its PROPANE!

Propane is so redneck, the Brune brothers have shown me the light, i think with a little guidance from them even i could do a TBI or even TPI swap.

If not, I think krebs has a couple of blazers full sale with ready-made fuel injection......Oh wait, full sizes suck, DAMN IT.

PS I love doug!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

It already has a 205 mofo.

Who said blazer? Jerry wants to buy one? What?

I'd skip the body work personally...

There is no in between having a nice rig and an a good wheeler. You just have to accept the fact that to go on harder trails you will get body damage.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

yup, the way you drive a nice body would be short lived
    Does your engine have good compression? If so, I wouldn't rebuild it. It's a beast when it's running. Just make sure and keep the air cleaner on there.
    I like the idea of running propane, but it seems like the big tank is really restrictive and everybody ends up designing the rest of their truck around it. It would be so easy to just slap on a tbi...
    If you DO go for a build and propane, just build it for higher compression and you get back all the power you lost from the 'pane
    Axle swap? I wouldn't...lock that front and wait till you start breaking stuff. Go to CTMs and when you start breaking those, start thinking D60. Current axles shouldn't look so narrow after you get it dropped a few inches either.
    If you really have problems with your wheelbase as it stands, get that figured out, otherwise don't mess with the suspension...From what I saw it's pretty dialed right now.
    How's about some creative trimming and tube? Don't you still need a little protection in that puppy?
    Toy case fo sho! Get some gearing up in that byotch!
    I'd put a/c way ahead of any of the other creature comforts...you've already got a cd player!
    psst...it's already Americanized...he's trying to fix that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    like krebs said jsut paint it cheap and skip the body work, i have put lots of time and effort replacing bondo with metal on my pos mystery bronco, and i am asking myself why did i do that cause i am prolly gona destroy it all. oh yeah americanized is the only way to go
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Well, since you've got wheelbase and money, buy that 203 that was bolted to your tranny and put your 205 behind it. There's a guy on POR selling the adapters for somethin like $450. And twin stick the 205.

Violentv8toy
    what gearing does a doubler set me at? 4.0? I really don't think that i've got the wheelbase to do a doubler. The angle at the t-case is pretty steep as it is.

The reason i want to go with propane is because its simpler than FI (cause im a dumbass that can barely tune a carb remember?) and burns cleaner.

You're right, propane is kind of redneck, which is the reason i've seen it all over arkansas. I've driven a propane mud truck here and it wasn't bad, and they claim that its not a HUGE difference in power and starts right up when cold/angled/stalled. Not to mention that propane is alot cheaper than gas (though i'd get a bit better milage on gas). I've also heard that a propane engine lasts ALOT longer.

and i said i had money for the overall project...all of its not going to the fawkin' engine.

Americanized my ass...the toyota **** is just as good....if not better...th350 has a ****ty first gear...1-1 3rd...toyota has a hella lower 1st gear and a .75 5th. If i had an engine that would hold me at 75mph i never would have touched a v8. And I really am not looking to put a big ass propane tank in there.

edit: and the propane setup is cheeeep
    EDIT EDIT: i can get the bolt on propane setup for 300....anyone have a complete and ready tbi for less than 300? I wouldn't know the first thing about doing the swap. I've seen the wiriing harness and electrical **** scares me.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 07-07-2004 at 10:18 PM.

BigRedFord04
    you shoulda swapped in a camry drivetrain.

Violentv8toy
    the low range woulda been about the same.

Propane will cause the heads to wear out quicker. Kind of like running an engine made for leaded fuel on unleaded, but not as bad. I like the smell of it, like frying fish.

Violentv8toy
    yeah, its a interesting smell.

BTW...where did that 'buildup' forum come from?

BigRedFord04
    i guess we forgot one cody

Violentv8toy
    just bought a th350 adapter and a toyota t-case. Now i'm looking at either a 4.0 or 4.7 gearset....i'm leaning more towards a 4.7 cause i think i can hit 2nd gear in mud.

4.7 - 47to1
    4.0- 41to1

2.52 first gear 4.10s in axles.