Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The stalling wonder - 91 toyota

Violentv8toy
    alright...sounds like FI might be back by popular demand. Does anyone have a tbi setup that they will sell me for under 250 and will tell me more/less how to hook it up?

It's not that i'm scared to, its just that i hate fawking with electrical ****. I hate it. I'd rather work on any other aspect of a vehicle than the electrical. But if someones willing to help, sure i'll go tbi. I've even got a pump for it.

Anyhow, i guess in that case i'll just do a compression test and reseal the engine, put on the tbi, and call it good....or propane.

True Hollywood Stry
    me to i hate electrical ****, i put it off till i have absolutely nothing else to work on, my bronco's electrical system lools like someones dog took a **** and had worms, damn previous owner.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    my bronco's electrical system lools like someones dog took a **** and had worms, damn previous owner.
    that was foul
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    bought everything i need for under 100....TBI it is...its simpler than i thought.

anyone know of any 36-39 tires for a 16" rim that are 70% or better 4 sale?

Violentv8toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Violentv8toy
    RND1:
    -get the 350 completely redone professionally
    -go propane
    -new front spring hanger (drop truck 2" bring axle forward 1")
    -lose rear blocks (lengthen wheelbase, move axle back a tad)
    -gloss black paint/bodywork
    -propane tank underneath bed

RND2:
    -stang seats (neoprene covers)
    -new carpet
    -tint
    -sound
    -onboard air

RND3:
    -all new brakes
    -a/c
    -bumper/sliders/winch
    -possible d60/14B or toy t-case w/4.0s
    -39" iroks or 38" swampers

Well...seems the toy needs some time off while i work on it. Things are starting to not work right. At cibolo my front gears got seized up and kept throwing u-joints. After a few frustration throttle blips, it would just spin the shaft and not transfer to the shafts or tires. New gears are needed now. As i tried to get out in 2wd, i smashed my bed/taillight against a rock...so i guess that takes away my "DD wannabe" plans. So im gonna change it up and spend some T/M which sux cause its got a full tank of $gas$.

This week, im gonna pull the tranny and fully rebuild that.
    Then im gonna pull the engine and strip it of its worthy parts.
    -manifold
    -carb
    -starter
    -intake
    -headers
    -acc
    -fuel pump
    -dist.

My grandfather just bought a mech. shop and there was a 4blt main 350 from a 1-ton with all the acc. sitting on a stand. Im getting that and i plan to rebuild it and warm it up with the help of my buddy bubba. Hes gonna rebuild a 350 hes got laying around at the same time. Speaking of which, hes no longer in the club, but hes rebuilding a 72 chevy 4wd flatbed truck which will probably get 40s hes got laying around. Hes got a 465 that he just rebuilt with a 205 that will go in.

Anyway, not quite sure what we're gonna put in the engine. I don't want to rebuild this 350 because its feels so underpowered and tired and iim just fed up with this engine. New engine coming up.

Gonna clean up the firewall, paint it, reroute wires. While its out of commision, i'll put those mustang seats in that i got off here with neoprene covers. Havent decided whether to rino line the floor or recarpet it for 100. Abandoed propane, don't wanna to screw with refabbing a tank. On goes TBI.

Gonna replace the gears up front. Hopefully I'll be able to make our Thanksgiving trip by the time its done.(if we have one)

why'd bubba quit?
    Is the 4bolt 350 in need of a rebuild?
    make sure you keep the z-28 valve covers! Bling!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    oh...thats just Bubba. Hes a harsh judge of character. I'm sure u noticed that the first time u met him. Only ppl he really liked was you, Nick and Busa cause they went up and talked with him at one of the first meetings. Hes kinda close minded though.

if the 350 isn't rebuild already (probably the case) i'll rebuild it and put some go-fast goodies in there. Bubba is pretty confident that he can do head jobs now so that works.

Z-28 covers are getting ditched, they are a little bent and leak....but never fear, it will not lack chrome by any means. I've even been thinkin' about getting a chrome starter heatshield. heh heh heh :BLING BLING:
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 10-18-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Violentv8toy
    Alright...so I drove that 350 on friday evening. It is out of a 77 3/4. It ran great...got up and went with 33s and 3.08s. steered great, drove great, rode great, shifted great...really quiet...idled strong at about 500...couldn't even hear it.

So, i bought it. He works for a company that makes ECU's for heavy machinery. He works the CNC lathe and he told me all about it. Pretty cool guy. So he was telling me that him and his friend were the ones doing the project, and he was annoyed that his daughters car took a crap (head gasket)....so he decided that he wasn't gonna fix it himself, that he was gonna pay to get it fixed so they could go ahead and pull the engine either this coming weekend or the weekend after that.

Does anyone have a flat slab of cement and a hoist I could borrow for maybe 4-5 hours? I'll disconnect everything...pull the radiator...loosen motor mounts...pull all the lines...even put a chain on the engine here at home so it will be ready to come out as soon as it i pull it up. it won't tie up a spot for more than a day. Anyone be able to help me out?

Violentv8toy
    i took it to Oliver Bros tranny shop in Bryan over the weekend. They drove it and said that it doesn't feel like anything is wrong with the transmission, just the engine is really weak....he proved this to me by doing a burnout in some water....he told me to replace the engine and then see....if not, bring it back.

he said he'd rebuild it for 385 labor...which is really high. by the way, that place across from the chicken oil doesn't rebuild autos....or so the old white guy said. Maybe he thought i wasn't good for the money.

Violentv8toy
    pulled apart front end...did a little detective work and front shaft engaging...turns out the pinion isn't contact the gears good enough to grab them...it just makes a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound. might have broken the pinion head teef.

gonna pull it as soon as my tools come back from San Marcus....see the extent of the damage. ring is worn from pinion whirring on it. Ladies and Gents...never set up your own gears. we just threw these in one night really quickly to get to our keg. Lasted a long time though.

Violentv8toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Violentv8toy
    Does anyone have a flat slab of cement and a hoist I could borrow for maybe 4-5 hours? I'll disconnect everything...pull the radiator...loosen motor mounts...pull all the lines...even put a chain on the engine here at home so it will be ready to come out as soon as it i pull it up. it won't tie up a spot for more than a day. Anyone be able to help me out?
    anyone?

Violentv8toy
    alright. Started drinking and pullin apart my truck today....then i was mostly about drinkin. Got most of it done...just need to take off the alternator and power steering pump and fan.....

Gonna prolly pull it during the week at night under a streetlamp in a deserted parking lot.

...with a comealong and a chain looped over the streetlight?

if you cant find a safe way to do it. let me know and i can arrange a cherry picker for you in cs if my old co-worker has time. im not in cs, so it wont be simple, but it'll definately be easier than you doing it in an unsafe way. you should be able to rent one there though.

Violentv8toy
    yeah....could u check for me? I was gonna pull it tomorrow morning by renting one....but if i can get one borrowed for free, i'll postpone taking it out.

Today, Will came by and helped me pull headers and the rest of the stuff off the old engine. All i need to do is the motor mounts and bellhousing and shes coming out....
    if anyone would like to help, i'd like to get at least 2 extra hands to protect my aluminum radiator that im too stubborn to take out. Any volunteers?

just pull the friggin rad and save yourself some heartache.

and.. yes, ill make a call and see.