Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: np241 t-case

usmcagg02

nv241 t-case

are the nv241 tcases any good? what should i expect ot pay for one if i decide to buy? any particular breakage points i should examine before hand?
    Last edited by usmcagg02; 07-02-2004 at 12:17 PM.

usmcagg02
    also, are there any better driver side drop tcases that bolt up to a 4l60e tranny that can be found for decent prices?

Violentv8toy
    from the thread, i take it you're looking into SAS'in your silverado.

The roommate of a HS friend of mine is sassin' his 01 2500.....6" alcan fronts...ferd d60 front 14b rear both detroit'd 42" swampers. He was looking for a t-case so he had been asking me alot of questions about it. He ended up going with a np241 from a blazer....which is a good t-case. He originally bought a np205 ford drop and was gonna go with that...but that ended up getting sold to a TAMOR member since i talked him out of it...

Personally, what i would go for is i'd definately drop some dime on an adapter to put a toyota t-case behind your 4l60e and put a 4.0 gearset in it....which says alot cause i'm a cheeeeep bastard. The sas itself really isn't that hard from what it seems...i'd be willing to do the front xmember and shackle hangers for you for very cheap. Ask brandon..i damn near work for free.

His AIM is Dark Eternal 3 if you wanna talk with him.

Of course, i might be waaay off base here....so sorry if i am.

EDIT: toyota t-case is about 75 bux...run it on 2.28 until you have enough coin for 4.0...dunno about the adapter tho.

Um, the toyota case is made for a 2.3 liter motor in a 3000 lb truck.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Um, the toyota case is made for a 2.3 liter motor in a 3000 lb truck.
    I didnt want to say nothin' but seriously that really is a retarted idea, and i mean like wear a helmet retareted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Violentv8toy
    2.4L and 2.7L and 3.0L if you wanna get technical.

alright...call me crazy but i'd sure as hell run it if i was serious about it....i wouldn't be running some crap 2.0 t-case with some big meats that is to be used on the road too. (kinda like what im doing now)

sure its not bad with an auto....but if a toyota t-case can take this, i'd be more than happy to run it. just because it CAME out of a toyota doesn't mean it can't handle anything more....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 07-03-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Violentv8toy
    but really though....np241 would be a better way to go if it bolted right up....just rambling.

A toyota T-case will hold up to a 350 and big tires. People do it all the time when swaping in a V8 in a toy.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by Violentv8toy
    from the thread, i take it you're looking into SAS'in your silverado. i'd be willing to do the front xmember and shackle hangers for you for very cheap.
    i am tossin around the idea, and i'm startin to lean more heavily towards it. any fab help would be appreciated, but i'm actually thinkin about goin coil sping rather than leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Busa
    A toyota T-case will hold up to a 350 and big tires. People do it all the time when swaping in a V8 in a toy.
    but this isnt goin in a toy, i dont think i'm gonna trust a mini truck tcase in a fullsize.

Violentv8toy
    coils....dang....can't help you on susp design.

Not baggin on you, but are you able to design a suspension? I'd hate to design my first suspension on my DD....esp for the front.

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by Violentv8toy
    coils....dang....can't help you on susp design.

Not baggin on you, but are you able to design a suspension? I'd hate to design my first suspension on my DD....esp for the front.

nope, should be fun huh?

BigRedFord04
    its not that hard to design a basic, streetable suspension. you dont want to go w/ anything too crazy anyway b.c., as we've all been enlightened by krabs, full sizes suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hardest part is getting everything exactly even so you can go straight down the road. build a basic long arm suspension, bolt a FORD p/s box on and make sure you get a good strong track bar design. i've got some ideas i'd be more than happy to share if you decide to follow thru.

I'd been telling him to just do a basic ford radius arm suspension like you used. But he's thinking more of a 4 link plus track bar like dodges and TJs. With either one it should drive good. His stock steering box looks like it will work. The transfer case he has now is full time so it would need to go. So he'd need a part time case that bolts up to the 4l60e and is driver drop because it would be easier to use a driver drop axle. So about all there is is the nv241 from a 88+ chevy, unless somebodt knows of anything else. Like I think there were some np208s in early IFS chevys. So how does the 241 compare to a 208?

usmcagg02
    actually i havent decided radius arm or four link yet. that is farther down the line. i'm gonna start collecting major components (tcase, axles, springs, shocks, etc) then design the best working suspension around what i have.

so back to the question at hand...any recommendations other than 241 or 208?

I was writing at least a 5 paragraph reply to this when my computer froze. Instead of the long winded response I will summarize why this is a bad idea. I'm not sure how you're going to wheel this, so some of it may not apply.

1. Not only is it a fullsize but it's extended cab
    2. It's way too nice to beat up
    3. It will get beat up, with 36's and locked front and rear it will be capable, but to be so it's going to get thrashed
    4. Parts will no longer be stock and it will break. You then have to worry about you're daily driver and a very nice truck.
    5. It's a fullsize and extended cab
    6. It's going to kill the value of you're truck.

My advice, build something, light, small and trailerable. It will be much more fun and less money lost.

I swear to god I'll cry if you go through with this...
    1988 Blazer...RIP