Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Woes

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    hey, FUKK all that. i dont care what make it is, its going to have problems, and they can be fixed.

i got out the multimeter and started testing sh!t. initial reports are that the MAP sensor is good, but i dont have a vacuum pump here. all voltages are good w/o testing exact vacuum. then i tested the TPS. the haynes says w/ the ignition on, and engine off it should put out ~1.0V. Mine was reading 2.2V. so i tried adjusting it...BY THE WAY...who the FUKK makes a plug`n play sensor that needs adjusting when installing it?? FUKK that. stupid fukkers. Secondly, who's fukking bright fukking idea was it to put that god damn thing in the absolute least accessible place in the entire fukking engine compartment??? FUKK! Ok, and when the distructions say to plug it in, and test the voltage before you tighten the screws...adjust it by turning it until it reads 1.0V....how the fukk do you turn the god damn thing when there are two screws that hold it down, and the two screw holes on the sensor must exactly line up w/ the threaded holes on the bottom of the TB. WTF?!?!?? who's ever genious idea it was to design that sensor like that can burn in hell.

i'm a bit frustrated.

thanks for shopping ford

I think almost all TPS's of that era were adjustable...I know mine is. This is to account for throttle shaft and body wear. If you can't adjust it take it off and elongate(sp) the holes on the sensor so that you can twist it. mine are that way. make sure you make the slots on a radius (half moon shape).

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcagg02
    thanks for shopping ford
    hey, i've got an idea, why dont you and your "low washer fluid" light go find another thread to toss salads in? b!tch.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I think almost all TPS's of that era were adjustable...I know mine is. This is to account for throttle shaft and body wear. If you can't adjust it take it off and elongate(sp) the holes on the sensor so that you can twist it. mine are that way. make sure you make the slots on a radius (half moon shape).
    the tps is adjustable and you have to set them in the right voltage range or the computer gets pissed off. been there do that one.

usmcagg02
    hey, i've got an idea, why dont you and your "low washer fluid" light go find another thread to toss salads in? b!tch.

awww...didnt mean to make you cry

BigRedFord04
    alrighty kids...here's the verdict.

i borrowed Flem's EEC IV scanner and just finished running the testes.
    Here's the codes it returned and what they mean according to the code reader book:

121: Throttle Position Senor - signal voltage is higher or lower than expected.
    171: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor - voltage signal not switching (Bank #1)
    172: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor - voltage signal indicates "lean" (Bank #1)
    173: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor - voltage signal indicates "rich" (Bank #1)
    181: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor - voltage signal not switching: indicates "lean" during part engine throttle operation (Bank #1)
    212: Loss of Ignition Diagnostic Monitor signal - short to ground in Spark Output circuit.

the 1st one was expected, figured that out the other day. now, the O2 sensor? wtf? doesnt seem to wanna make up its mind. but my question is, how does it know which bank is not running right? i've only got 1 O2 sensor and its in the H-pipe i had put in, just where it woulda been if it still had the factory Y-pipe. and that last one? do i just have to trace wires back from the SPOUT terminal? how the hell do i find that one?

...and that last one? do i just have to trace wires back from the SPOUT terminal? how the hell do i find that one?
    ohm meter and a needle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

also, I would guess all those messed up 02 sensor readings just mean your 02 sensor's toast
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Or Your coolant temp is messed up and dumping fuel and leaning out and messing up the O2 sensor reading. What kind of T-stat you got in there?

BigRedFord04
    its a 180* SuperStant (O'Reilly top of the line). i'm still failing to see the connection there, but the temp gauge hasnt been jumping around, the tach has.

anyway, went back to Red River 4WD to shoot the sh!t w/ the owner about a job, and at the end of the conversation i asked him what he thought those codes might mean...it was his opinion that they are all related somehow...then got curious and got out the shop's Snap-On, high dollar code reader and came out to test it out. it told him that the TPS was sh!t, and the voltage outputs are inconsistent thru the throttle range, so adjusting it wouldnt do any good b.c. its supposed to change voltage steadily with the application of the gas pedal. he thinks its just dumping too much fuel b.c. of the bad TPS and thats the cause of ALL the codes. so, i'll replace the TPS and see what happens. maybe this time i'll try to adjust it right....stupid fukking adjustable sensors.

have you been able to adjust it yet? They're VERY sensitive, so it may just LOOK like it's jumping around...I'd try and get it set right with the throttle closed before replacing it.

BTW good job convincing him that you're a competent wrench

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    BTW good job convincing him that you're a competent wrench
    i'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but i basically told him before he offered to test it that i thought i'd isolated the problem as the TPS, but was curious why it was reading the other codes. most any retard w/ a box of wrenches can change oil and brakes, etc...for me, getting into the computer controlled BS and electronics is a cut above.