Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dana 300 question

cntryboy1865

dana 300 question

does anyone know how to get the front and rear yokes off a dana 300 case once the nuts are removed.

cntryboy1865
    yea, i got a gear puller and got them off, what would be a really good way to clean it up and get it ready for painting. it is covered in oil and dirt.

you shouldnt of needed a puller, mine came off with my two hands

cntryboy1865
    I don't know I pulled on it and did not come off, so instead of working really hard to get it off, I just got a puller and they came off easy. work smarter not harder.

i've needed a puller for most of my stuff. thats normal

ok well maybe i made a puller, put a screw driver between the straps and pull

BigRedFord04
    are you completely disassembling it before painting, etc? if so its cheap to have it vatted @ vilas. otherwise, i'd say use some engine degreaser and a wire brush to knock the big stuff off, then a wire wheel on a grinder to finish the tough cleaning. if you spray it off w/ brake cleaner and wipe it down good before painting the paint will last longer.

cntryboy1865
    what is vatted, is that where they dip it in something to clean it. and how much does it cost

BigRedFord04
    they dip it in a caustic (Ph~13) solution thats kept ~165*. cleans the sh!t outta just about anything. when they pull it outta there it gets jet washed and hosed down. i wouldnt recommend doing it if you're not going to take it apart tho, risk not getting it all out. if all you want is to have it dipped and cleaned it'd probably run about $40.

washed mine with a pressure washer and brake cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy1865
    work smarter not harder.
    watch it...that kinda blasphemy can get you kicked out of TAMOR

have vilas dip it if you're tearing it ALL the way down, otherwise hit it with a wire wheel and brake cleaner and call it good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

cntryboy1865
    how far down would I have to tear it for vila's to do it.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    you know what, put the yokes back on it and just ship it to me. It's easier that way.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

BigRedFord04
    this would be good enough....just so the vat juice cant get trapped in. you could take that front extension off too, but i'd be leery of getting that far into it if you've never messed w/ the insides of one before.