Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transmission options?????

Transmission options?????

I went with a Krebs-like title to draw attention...

I got the floor cut out of the donor subbie today and we were able to finagle the engine/tranny/t-case out without unbolting them from each other. I suspected that there was something wrong with the distibutor because it felt loose. When we got it all out I saw that the aluminum part where it attaches to the block was broken all the way around so the top part spins freely... Not good. I guess I'll look on ebay for one from the same time frame. Are they somewhat universal?

The other problem is the tranny. There is a big crack from the top bolt to the second bolt down and a chunk appears to be missing. Very bad. I can't use this thing in that condition because I know how I drive... Would you guys suggest finding a 700R4 and one of the more common TBI computers and not worrying about all the problems I may encounter with the 4L60E swap, or should I look for a new 4L60E case and try to go through with it for a little bling factor? I've been reading a lot about the 4L60E and it doesn't seem like it'll ba that bad, especially since I was able to save all of the sub's harness to reuse whatever I need. I'm just not sure that it's worth the extra hassle and cost if I could just find a 700R4 and bolt that in.

The outputs will be the same, so I can still use the NP241 and get the super shorty SYE like I planned... The tranny is all I have to worry about before I can start the manual labor part of getting it all shoe-horned into the Jeep.

Oh yeah, for those of you that know anything about the ECU numbers, the one I got with the suburban is Serv. No. 16197427 is that matters at all...

cntryboy1865
    use whichever one you can find, and if you already have all of the computers and harnesses the 4l60e should not be all that hard.

brett I'll give you a bellhousing if you sack up and put a 465 or 420 in there.

As far as the 4L60E goes, the wiring harness is a slight problem. The electronic shifting computer controlled crap is supposed to give some problems, and everyone that has done the swap has ended up with some oddball shifter problems unless you reuse the stock column shifter. I'm not going to, so that'd be something else to deal with. Also, I'm not completely sure about an auto since I've only ever driven the Jeep as a standard...

Robert - that sounds good since I have Jimmy's 465 that needs a little TLC, but how would that all work with the computer? Would I just need to find the 7747 ECM and only worry about wiring the engine? That option would also mean having to buy a pricey adapter from Novak or AA and I'd have to deal with fabbing all the clutch linkage, which means this swap will take even longer... I'm not so sure about that...

Would I also be looking for the 7747 ECM if I got a 700R4?

brett i'm sure that any errors or odd **** can be remedied in the ecm by changing a few things. I'll have to check the definition file some more but I'm sure its there. Hell, I'll be it would work fine if you just leave the park/neutral switch set and run a non computer controlled transmisison.

I wouldn't mess with a 747 ecm yet, I don't see why the one you got with that engine won't work, and most of the harness will be different.

as far as the shifter for the 4l65e (right Fred ) did you look into 4th gen f body shifters? Knowing GM I'm sure even the plug is the same and then you wouldn't have to run a column shifter.

fabbing clutch linkage is the least of your worries in a drivetrain swap. its hydraulic, just copy davido's mount and route the line.

I haven't looked in to stock style shifters. I mostly looked around at B&M, Hurst and Lokar stuff and the people at Lokar are the only ones that offer something like I was looking for and you have to buy extra crap for it...

As far as swapping in a manual, I've been trying to look for linkage and hydraulic routing info and pics, and it doesn't look too too bad. I suppose I could reuse some of the stock crap and go from there. I think the main reason not to go that direction is the extra $500+ that an adapter and everything else would cost as opposed to finding a 700R4 and just bolting it up.

Can this 16197427 computer get programmed to act normal with a different tranny? I just thought the 747 ECM would be easier to work with if I was eliminating the tranny controls and I wouldn't have to worry about oddball programming.

ive had trouble getting my torque converter to lock-up correctly with a non-computer controlled 700r4. i suggest going with the 4l60e. ill get it worked out but its just been a pain. anybody got any good ideas? i tried the kit from jegs and it didnt work for crap.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    I suspected that there was something wrong with the distibutor because it felt loose. When we got it all out I saw that the aluminum part where it attaches to the block was broken all the way around so the top part spins freely... Not good. I guess I'll look on ebay for one from the same time frame. Are they somewhat universal?
    I'm kinda interested in the answer to this as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    ...since I have Jimmy's 465 that needs a little TLC, but how would that all work with the computer? Would I just need to find the 7747 ECM and only worry about wiring the engine? That option would also mean having to buy a pricey adapter from Novak or AA and I'd have to deal with fabbing all the clutch linkage, which means this swap will take even longer... I'm not so sure about that...
    to mate a SBC to a GM tranny?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    to mate a SBC to a GM tranny?
    probably the 465 to whatever transfer case he is going to run
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    brett I'll give you a bellhousing if you sack up and put a 465 or 420 in there.
    yeah butkiss sack up

BigRedFord04
    i'd say use the 465. FUKK all that automatic tranny non-sense. you shouldnt have to worry about the computer, the way i've always understood it was that you can use a manual, w/ a comp from an automatic, but not the other way around.

the adapter i'm sure he was talking about was 465 to xfer case (NP241?).

okay
    you guys are smart, I'm dumb
    you're handsome, I'm...not...so...good looking...

OK, after calling Novak and Advance I have found that neither of them make an adapter for mating an SM465 to an NP241. This means retaining my stock NP231, but I will have to open it back up to put the larger input gear (go from stock 21 spline to "upgraded" 23 spline) and install a wide chain. The adapter from Novak is $509, and the adapter from Advance will be right around the same price.

I would also have to buy a rebuild kit from Novak (or other) for the SM 465 for ~$200.

I would also have to collect clutch parts and a bellhousing...

Kepping an auto is sounding better and better...