Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Transmission options?????

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I swear I'm putting one of those in something someday! (Maybe a 240z or an opel)
    who's ron?
    haha... I don't feel like explaining, maybe mike, jerry, or jessica wants to!

It actually is kind of a cool engine i guess with the different length intake runners...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    As for the 465, if it's all taken apart anyway I'd prefer to just rebuild it. That's just personal preference and a learning experience since I know someone that can show me how to do it.
    it won't be all taken apart, just the main shaft. you leave the idler and reverse shaft in the case.

if you really want to freshen it up, just buy the synchros and put new ones on there. There is no need to tear the whole thing down and replace bearings. If its that bad hit up Krebs for one of his, those bearings should last 400k+ miles.

Now if you got another automatic transmission would you rebuild it? It is not uncommon for them to take a crap at around 100k, and it'll probably be at least 800 or so to have someone rebuild it when you can do the sm465 yourself + parts. If you want to run an auto then do it, but it sounds like your trying to justify an automatic by saying a sm465 will cost too much when in reality it will be a few hundred cheaper even if both are rebuilt with all new bearings.

BigRedFord04
    i agree w/ flem + the cost of buying an auto from a junkyard to replace youre fubared one wont be cheap. $500 for an adapter i still think will be less than the cost of acquiring the automatic and going thru it to make sure it works....but damn thats a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    it won't be all taken apart, just the main shaft. you leave the idler and reverse shaft in the case.

if you really want to freshen it up, just buy the synchros and put new ones on there. There is no need to tear the whole thing down and replace bearings. If its that bad hit up Krebs for one of his, those bearings should last 400k+ miles.

Now if you got another automatic transmission would you rebuild it? It is not uncommon for them to take a crap at around 100k, and it'll probably be at least 800 or so to have someone rebuild it when you can do the sm465 yourself + parts. If you want to run an auto then do it, but it sounds like your trying to justify an automatic by saying a sm465 will cost too much when in reality it will be a few hundred cheaper even if both are rebuilt with all new bearings.
    and if you still use an auto after all of this we're going to start calling you brettnutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

OK, this just got thrown into the loop. Our buddy Maverick called and a friend of his that builds drag cars had this laying in his shop. He got it from a buddy at the Chevy dealer for next to nothing in case the one in his suburban went out. It's from a 1995 Suburban 4x4...what a coincidence. He gave it to me for free.

I'm going to check in to getting this one checked out by someone, and they can use the one that came with the engine for parts if that's possible, and see about a shift kit and things like that. This just gives me more options to ponder for the next week or so.

no, put it in the back of a Ford Festiva and call it a SHOGUN!

Kreb's how much you want for that 465?

Brett, been painting something yellow lately?

I'm not sure what you mean with the first response, but as for the yellow paint...that's been there for about two years. When I throw something into the bed hard enough it'll chip a little more away, but that's what was left of the gallon of oil based rig paint that dumped over back there when I took a corner on a dirt road going a little too fast.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the SM465. I'm going to take the top off to inspect everything with someone that knows what they're looking at and I'll replace whatever needs to be replaced. I'll adapt it to the NP231 I currently have and just run the engine with the computer, and figure out what to do about the VSS.

My 231 will get a wide chain, maybe a 2-Lo kit and possibly a 23 spline input. We'll see how industrious I get once it's out of the Jeep.

I started pricing things out and I think I can rebuild the SM465 and buy all the clutch parts for less than I would spend on getting the two 4L60E's bench built into one functional and trustworthy unit. Besides, after talking to a few people today there aren't really any trustworthy shops in Corpus to take them to that will warranty the work on a bench rebuild.

I guess I need to locate a truck bellhousing with the 5 1/16" bore along with the correct clutch fork. Then I'll need to try to sort out all the crap I just read on Novak's site here. I need a little downtime for my brain after trying to process all that.

I can get a new 12" clutch and new flywheel from CarQuest, along with the water pump I had already planned on buying there. I still need to find a working distributor, though...

What bell housing are you looking for? I have a couple, I think 2 of them are the old cast iron bell housing. I also have an aluminum hydro slave cylinder bell housing, but that one's mine

The one I use on the blazer is an aluminum one, but used the mechincal linkage instead of hydraulic... I couldn't find a hydraulic one when i did it so I just made a mount for the slave cylinder out of a couple pieces of 1" angle iron. I've had no problem with it...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I swear I'm putting one of those in something someday! (Maybe a 240z or an opel)
    who's ron?
    note: refering to SHO Motor
    Is that better? Sorry for the confusion......

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    note: refering to SHO Motor
    Is that better? Sorry for the confusion......
    wasn't there one of those on the Power Tour?

No thanks, furds suck and the festiva was the flagship...I just want the yamaha part
    unfortunately it seems I will have to mate it to a furd transmission
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    The one I use on the blazer is an aluminum one, but used the mechincal linkage instead of hydraulic... I couldn't find a hydraulic one when i did it so I just made a mount for the slave cylinder out of a couple pieces of 1" angle iron. I've had no problem with it...
    If you're going to be around the Blazer any time soon would you mind taking a couple pics of your setup? I've been looking at Dave's FJ pictures but I just want to see a few before I try to figure out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    If you're going to be around the Blazer any time soon would you mind taking a couple pics of your setup? I've been looking at Dave's FJ pictures but I just want to see a few before I try to figure out what to do.
    I had to make it quick, so it isn't much to look at. My concerns at the time was that it was strong and it worked. Basically I took out the pivot bolt thing on the bell housing and use that hole and another hole on the engine for the mounting position. Then i welded a piece about 90 degrees or whatever the angel i needed it to be so that the slave was lined up with the clutch fork. Then i weld another 1" angle on the hypotenuse (sp?) side of the triangle to finish it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP