Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine and tranny oil cooler questions

Moose

engine and tranny oil cooler questions

for the tranny, i already bought a b&m w/fan and am gonna mount it behind the front bumper. but i want to run an in-line filter since access to my existing tranny pan is nearly impossible now that i installed b&m's deep pan. if i mount this filter near the battery, will i have pressure issues. will the fluid be able to 1) have enough to push through the filter and 2) have enough to reach that elevation (approximately a foot). i know it's a dumb question, so just humor me.

pretty much the same issue for the engine oil. i think the engine has more pressure than the tranny at the filter, but just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to have the same issue as the tranny filter. i also will be running an oil cooler inline with the filter.

please tell me you're not trying to install an additional oil filter...
    if you're having this bad of cooling issues you probably need to look deeper into the cause
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Moose
    additional?... tranny filter. yes. what's so bad about that? i just think the old brass/copper radiator isn't cutting it. as far as an additional tranny filter, i can't see any cons in that. the more filtration, the better right? especially if i'll be going through more soupy water than most. i don't know how to get to the breathers on top of the tranny and t-case.

I meant engine oil
    then why are you adding an engine oil cooler?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

AgDieseler
    Your automatic generates between 100 and 250 psi depending on the gear selected and engine rpm. That is more than enough to run through a filter and cooler at any location. Make sure you use as much hardline as possible, and 300 psi soft line where you need it.

I did a similar setup on the burban. Once I got a transmission that wasn't defective, it all worked well.

Moose
    ok. yes. engine oil cooler too. again. why not? i admit, i do and have had an overheating problem since i got it this december. or at least until the summer kicked in. everything i've done so far is return everything to stock. and then i moved from there. i bought new rad hoses, heater hoses, emissions hoses, water pump, radiator fan, radiator, and radiator fluid. since that didn't do it, i put in an edelbrock water pump with flat faced impeller.. didn't do anything. bypassed all emissions hoses.. didn't do anything. found out i had a blown head gasket btwn #7 & #8 along with the a cracked driver side head (where blown head gasket was discovered). i got rebuilt heads with all new seals, springs, and valves with new head gasket.. didn't fix anything (i pulled both sides while i was at it), although it released about 100 horsepower. while it was off, i inspected the cylinder walls and water jackets.. didn't find anything wrong. everything looked great. at that time, i rebuilt the edelbrock 600 cfm carb and cleaned the edelbrock intake at the same time... didn't fix the problem. the only thing i can figure is, the tranny is getting so hot, it's heating up the radiator fluid. so while i was at it, i figured i'd install new engine oil cooler.
    Last edited by Moose; 08-13-2004 at 07:15 AM.

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    Your automatic generates between 100 and 250 psi depending on the gear selected and engine rpm. That is more than enough to run through a filter and cooler at any location. Make sure you use as much hardline as possible, and 300 psi soft line where you need it.

I did a similar setup on the burban. Once I got a transmission that wasn't defective, it all worked well.
    the standard heater hose won't do it? thanks for the info on the tranny, what about the engine... so i guess near 45 psi? is it the same oil pressure that the slingers send the crank and heads? will it be enough to push through a filter and cooler?

AgDieseler
    Certainly there is some head loss once you get to sending oil to the cooler. There should be an auxiliary tap somewhere near your oil filter boss. That's where I have my dedicated filter lines. I got 2500 psi soft hydraulic hoses made for the engine. You will be surprised how little pressure is needed to move the oil around. I say install it and don't worry about it. Look for about 5 psi idling, and 25 driving.

BigRedFord04
    i dont see any downfall of anything you're thinkin' about doing, just make sure you use the right stuff. i dont think that the tranny heating up would cause the engine to overheat, but i may be wrong. its two completely separate cooling systems. my 1st solution to your overheating problems would be, instead of spending all that $$ on adding extra cooling lines (not that they're going to hurt), would be to get a new radiator....the big 4 core variety, and if you have the $$, get a big 4 core ALUMINIUM radiator....gooood stuff. while you're at it, ditch the engine driven fan and fawking god awful fan clutch. if you can fit it, two p/n 3700 Hayden fans from ho'reillys should fit your needs. in the process you'll also free up 10HP by losing the drag of the fan on the motor. i've got a wiring diagram and all the part #s if you're interested on how to set it up.

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    i dont think that the tranny heating up would cause the engine to overheat, but i may be wrong. its two completely separate cooling systems.
    the lines run from the tranny, to the small auxillary tranny cooler in front, then into the bottom of the radiator, then out of the bottom of the radiator, back to the tranny. just from reading everywhere, even the EB's have the same issue. it's like a small tank inside the bottom of the radiator. but the fins flow through this tank, or something like that, where the heat is transferred between the two fluids during this process. another brilliant ford idea.

my 1st solution to your overheating problems would be, instead of spending all that $$ on adding extra cooling lines (not that they're going to hurt), would be to get a new radiator....the big 4 core variety, and if you have the $$, get a big 4 core ALUMINIUM radiator....gooood stuff.
    i didn't want to say anything cause i thought one of yall would ream me for throwing away 'all that money'.. in texas? i never thought i'd be doing anything wrong shooting for extra cooling in texas, but somehow i figured i'd get a a$$ chewin for buying sh!t 'i don't need.' damn, i feel like my folks in the next room, and i'm in highschool w/out a job. i bought a new shroud (bullsh!t a$$ fiberglass one) and aluminum 1-1/4" core radiator that will drop in. jeff's broncograveyard advertises protection up to 800 hp. if so, my engine will never touch as much heat worth 800 hp with a 1,000' pool stick.

while you're at it, ditch the engine driven fan and fawking god awful fan clutch. if you can fit it, two p/n 3700 Hayden fans from ho'reillys should fit your needs. in the process you'll also free up 10HP by losing the drag of the fan on the motor. i've got a wiring diagram and all the part #s if you're interested on how to set it up.
    when i said i went back to stock, i actually had purchased an 18" flex-a-lite 7 blade flex fan that's supposed to "pull through 4 and 5 row brass/copper radiators." but that hasn't done much. but i had dual 14" 5300cfm electrics in my 99 f-150 (it cuased the 'service engine soon' light to come on. it was cooling the engine so fast, the computer thought something was wrong). just this may, i almost overheated my 99 f150 engine cause the fans blew a fuse and i have no idea why. i let it cool off and i drove it home and tried to one-wire it (i had all kinds of relays and breakers and over-ride on and off switches) and still blew the 40A maxi fuse. so, i'm a little cautious about electrics being my only source of cooling. so i bought two 12" pusher electrics to bolt onto the front of the a/c coils to be wired straight.

so, by the end of all this, i'll probably have tipped $1,000. if it doesn't maintain 190, she's going to the classifieds. that, or i'll only fire her up between january and march. sorry for all the text and no pretty pictures.
    Last edited by Moose; 08-13-2004 at 11:57 AM.

arent those 351m's and 400m's notorious for running hot to begin with? Mine always did, and i was under the impression that it was just the nature of the beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    i'm pretty sure they are. Kate and Tate both have them so they'd be able to say better. i just made that suggestion b.c. if i havent made it abundantly clear....I HATE FAN CLUTCHES!!!. I run my fans thru an 80A continuous duty solenoid b.c. the fuse holder i had a 30A fuse in caught on fire....didnt want that happening again. havent had any problems since, except when the bolts that hold the motor in the fan housing on one of my fans backed of, made the motor run awkwardly and then it caught on fire. good stuff. so, other than a couple of engine fires, i've never had any problems w/ my fans. hope thats encouraging.

Moose
    ***. no. but thanks for the story.

fbronco86
    You are running a carb right. If your carb is not adjusted right it will cause your engine to run hot.

also i see you are running headers. they tend to give off alot of heat as in heating up the engine compartment

Moose
    the carb does backfire a little when it's cold. i don't know what that means. but it's been rebuilt and retunned a couple times. both times tunned, nothing really different.