Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: engine and tranny oil cooler questions

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    the carb does backfire a little when it's cold. i don't know what that means. but it's been rebuilt and retunned a couple times. both times tunned, nothing really different.
    back firing is either a timing issue or fuel.

it means a rich condition; shouldn't make it run hot
    edit: you beat me, but is this incorrect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Moose
    i think these edelbrock carbs are pieces of poop anyway. about $500 later will be a holly truck avenger carb.

freddy's gonna smack you!
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    i think these edelbrock carbs are pieces of poop anyway. about $500 later will be a holly truck avenger carb.
    I think it would be better spent on fuel injection. But i am not sure how to fuel inject an M motor

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    freddy's gonna smack you!
    i've been trying to think of something clever to come back on that. but i'm just not that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I think it would be better spent on fuel injection. But i am not sure how to fuel inject an M motor
    i don't even think they have a kit for that. if so, i can't even weld much less install mpi

do you need a special manifold to run TBI? I thought you could put it on any manifold as long as it was set up for a spreadbore carb (or the other kind) anyway freddy will know.

Have you rejetted? I thought backfiring through the carb meant to lean not to rich, same **** mine did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    there is a way to put fuel injection on the M motors....tate's looked into it....it is definately $$$$.$$. holly carbs are poop. carbs are poop.

Yeah, no kits...make an adapter plate and kludge a throttle cable together, add 02 sensor and leave the rest up to GM

FYI: a lean condition and over fueling can overheat an engine.

i'm confused...aren't those mutually exclusive?

you might check the timming if its to advanced or retarded it will run hot .. is it getting hot idling or driving?? or both ?
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!

Moose
    this sunday, it only got like 80 degrees in galveston county. i drove it home in the evening around 5 pm, and it got up to 220 on the highway going appr 60-70 mph, and after driving through the city, it never came down. and the tranny does the same.

ALSO: i called jeff's broncograveyard about how much longer my radiator would be on backorder. i found out the aluminum radiator i orderred is not a cross flow. it is aluminum, but it's down flow. they said, the companies they've asked for an aluminum can't make a cross flow. the best they can do is take the old brass/copper down flows and use them as a template to make them out of aluminum. i think bronco hut says they make a cross flow w/2 1-1/4" cores direct replacement for about the same price. should i consider them.

jbg also said they route the fluid through the radiator, then the aux cooler, then back to the tranny. they say it keeps the tranny fluid cooler because the engine coolant will always be hotter than the tranny. i have it routed backwards to the way they route their tranny lines. would it change the temps?

Is aluminum really that much better at cooling than your old radiator? I know copper is a better conductor than aluminum. not sure about brass.