Thread: tranny pan problems

cntryboy1865

tranny pan problems

one of the bolts that holds the pan on my automatic transmission is stripped out, it keeps leaking right where that bolt is. What would be the best way to fix this.

Shaggy
    tap and put a bigger bolt in there

helicoil it!

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    helicoil it!
    i would with taping it to a bigger size. helicoils dont always work out that great

if you dont like helicoils, then use a time-sert. i like time-serts better but they're harder to find. things like having one bolt bigger than the rest bug me on my rig. it'll work fine though if you just wanna drill it out and also be cheaper, but you may not have enough material to do it.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    if you dont like helicoils, then use a time-sert. i like time-serts better but they're harder to find. things like having one bolt bigger than the rest bug me on my rig. it'll work fine though if you just wanna drill it out and also be cheaper, but you may not have enough material to do it.
    I have had the time-serts come out too. And they are like 8 bucks just for the insert

I would go w/ the time-sert also. Vilas sells them if you're in CS area. Just remember to clean the threadeds and hole real good and use the red locktite. That should keep it in.

ghetto fix:
    get a little bit larger bolt (preferably metric), "lube" the threads with JB weld (also put a small gob on the end), and crank 'er down!

I really should post something useful eventually
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I would go w/ the time-sert also. Vilas sells them if you're in CS area. Just remember to clean the threadeds and hole real good and use the red locktite. That should keep it in.
    what he said. you might also check BOTCO, thats where Vilas buys their heli-coil and time serts most of the time. i learned to trust time serts a lot more than heli-coils when i worked there. if you do go w/ a time sert, red locktite on the outside of the insert, and lots of lube on the install tool.

cntryboy1865
    [QUOTE=uglyota]ghetto fix:
    get a little bit larger bolt (preferably metric), "lube" the threads with JB weld (also put a small gob on the end), and crank 'er down!

tried that kind of, but it did not work to good. so I aborted before I really messed up bad. what is a time sert, and what does it do.

BigRedFord04
    its kinda like a heli-coil but better. the insert is a solid piece, threaded inside and out where a heli-coil is just a piece of metal wound into a "coil" that gets inserted in the new hole. time serts are stronger.