Thread: need some engine rebuild info

need some engine rebuild info

how much does the machine work involved cost? bore, align hone, rod recon., decking, etc. it doesnt really need a rebuild but im putting gaskets on it and while ive got it apart im thinking about it. the only real problem i have is i had to use some rad stop leak once after my fan had a fight with my rad. now the water jackets are coated with the stuff and id like it gone. is there any way to clean it all out? i dont think a normal flush will do the job. something similar to a hot tank but only in the water jackets. id like to not rebuild it since im poor. if you hot tank a short block im sure it play hell on the bearings when you start it up.

my guess is the labor would run you around $350+ parts: bearings(rod, main, cam), pistons, rings, freeze plugs, camshaft, lifters, gaskets...also may need new head and intake bolts if they are the torque to yield variety...plus a lot of other little crap. you need to budget around $1200

what about just flushing the rad a few times with the good strong stuff...the stuff that comes in pop-top cans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    the stuff that comes in pop-top cans?

anybody know what this stuff is called? im thinking of using something like this and/or sticking the pressure washer down in the water jackets since ive got it down to the shortblock. summit has a rebuild kit for ~$450. i think i could rebuild for $800-1000 but i cant afford it and dont really need it, so im looking to get out cheap.

just a guess, but how about "radiator flush"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    just a guess, but how about "radiator flush"
    hmm, could be... i just figured there was one that was better than the rest. maybe a one part versus two part (acid and neutralizer) stuff. or possibly some stuff thats made to clean out a disassembled engine and not recirculate through the entire cooling system.

Get the Prestone two part acid/base stuff. It comes in a single can that opens on both ends. It worked really well on my gf's Corolla, and that thing has to be worth more than a Scout...

Well, since you're down to the shortblock, how's the ring ridge? You pop a main off to check on wear? If it doesn't need a rebuild then don't do it. The good old stock parts might last longer than a cheap rebuild would.

theres no detectable ring groove, at least not fingernail detectable. ive decided not to rebuild. im just gonna powerwash/degrease and then douse it in wd-40 to displace the water i get in the important stuff. then ill preoil the bearings manually while ive got it apart. ive gotta get this thing back together. im gonna try to make the IH round-up in gilmer on the 24th or so of sept.

ok, i can safely say it does not need a rebuild. i got a closer look at the cylinder walls in the daylight today and you can still see the factory cross hatch pattern from the cylinder honing. the guy i bought it from told me 5000 miles but i didnt believe him because of the leaks. im guessing now they are just a result of dryrot from sitting for so long. got the water jackets pressure washed out and it looks much better. probably start going back together with it this week when the gasket kit comes in.

My dad's mustang still had the crosshatching at 100K, but the bearings were done.

the cross hatch could be still there but the cylinders could be out of round. check the bore and see if they are oval. this is a good indication of wear.