Thread: Heim joints

Heim joints

I'm getting things together for my PS swap on the cruiser, and I'm not sure what kind of heim joints to run for my drag link. I know most people use a 3/4x3/4 (3/4" thread with a 3/4" hole) heims which are plenty strong for what we're doing. But I was also looking at 3/4x5/8 (3/4"thread with a 5/8" hole) heims, which have a higher load rating than the 3/4x3/4 and the 5/8 bolt allows the heim to reach a greater angle. The only thing is how much weaker is a 5/8" grade 8 bolt than a 3/4" grade 8 bolt? I would like to have the greater angle but I don't want to sacrifice strength and all I've really seen on the trail is 3/4x3/4.
    BDR

I plan on switching to 3/4 x 5/8. The 3/4 x 3/4 I have now run out of travel. From some searching on pirate, I couldn't find anyone that had broken a 5/8 or 3/4" bolt, but did find some that had bent or sheared off the arms running either size of bolt.

yup, everybody seems to be running 3/4x5/8 and nobody seems to be breaking 5/8" gr8 bolts, even when mounted in scary configurations, like with both heims stacked on top of the arm

Ryan I think polyperformance sells a misalignment washer with an integrated sleeve that necks your 3/4" hole to 5/8"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Yep, they neck it down from 3/4" to 1/2". I aint goin for that. And its $22 per pair.

Mud King
    i got the 3/4" with 5/8" hole for all my steering ends, got them from Jegs, they are made by QA1, i thought they were really nice, best lookin ones ive seen and the cheapest price i found.

True Hollywood Stry
    how much did you pay for yours dillion?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Mud King
    29.99 a pop with free shipping.

Ya, the Jug's ones were what I was looking at. I also need to find the threaded sleaves you weld in to the tubing for the drag link.
    BDR

BigRedFord04
    i run jegs QA1 heims also, cheapest you'll find for chromo heims.

Mud King
    the threaded bungs i got from M.O.R.E along with my tubing they had the cheapest prices.

Coleman Racing is where a few of us got our inserts from.

Thanks, I forgot about Coleman. The only inserts I had found were from chassis engineering and you have to order them through a dealer, the nearest one being Martell Bros. Racing in Htown
    BDR

hey brain i checked my trac bar it is 3/4-5/8 left thread call me when you order i'll get you $$$
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!