Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xj to 283 chevy motor swap

xj to 283 chevy motor swap

I have a 84 xj with a 4 banger. I have a v8 283 chevy sitting in the garage with screwed up pushrods. Does anyone know anything about replacing them or what is causing the motor to bend them???? Also I need some motor mounts-anyone know who makes xj to chevy v8 mounts-besides frickin rip you off advance adapters.

Thanks clayton

If that engine has bent pushrods there is probably something major wrong. 99 percent of the time pushrods get bent when a piston slaps a valve,which could be anything from a broken timing chain to broken valve stems. That engine would probably have to be completely rebuilt to be safe
    BDR

If you're going to put a smallblock in there, why not go balls to the wall and get a 350 or 383? I know you already have that other engine, but since it sounds like its damaged beyond basic repair, junk the damn thing and buy a running 350 from a junkyard for like $500 tops. Same physical weight and size and buku's more power
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

id say dont bother with the 283 and get a 5.7l vortec from a chevy truck to put in there. more power and fuel injection all in one plug and play package. i went to the junkyard today here in town and they had three or four of them. if they'd had them when i was in the market for an engine, that's what id have in the scout. try to find s low mile for around $1000, you'll have that much in the 283 by the time you rebuild it.

you're all wrong, just go the the yard and pull a mildly used I6 for super cheap and be done with it. its got all the power youll need to throw around the 84 unless you're planning on racing it

does a 4banger mean he has weaker tranny/tcase/axles too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

should be the same 30/35c
    tranny is almost deffinitely some pos
    dont know about the xfer

edit:
    if hes got the 2.5 he either has the AX4 manual or the torqueflight 904? automatic and either the np229 or 228
    Last edited by JeepPhisherman; 09-23-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Probably gonna need to source a tranny/xfer before you think about motor mounts...and if you think AA is gonna rip you a new one on those, try pricing their bellhousings and tranny-transfer adapters
    does an xj even have room for a v8?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

several 350s have been done, but by the time you adapt everything and deal with fitment issues, a 4.7L stroker could be just as cheap. but like i said, unless you're racing the thing/mud bogging/ dune jumping, the I6 is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    The real question is, does an 84 xj have room for an I6?

Here's one of Troy's people. "Corvette LT1" according to the description

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/i...=n&color=&firs

yeah, id be more worried about fitting an I-6 in there than a v8. those suckers are looonnnggg.

edit: thats not a "corvette lt1" thats a tpi l98.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 09-23-2004 at 03:38 PM.

that thing's PIMP!
    You'd probably come out ahead buying that instead of building one

does a 4banger mean he has weaker tranny/tcase/axles too?
    yep i got those "beefy" 30/35-and POS NP207. BUT i got 410's while the 6's dont

Probably gonna need to source a tranny/xfer before you think about motor mounts...and if you think AA is gonna rip you a new one on those, try pricing their bellhousings and tranny-transfer adapters
    already have th350 mated to np231-got adapter from jb conversions $200 less than AA
    If people cram a 350 in there I can surely get a 283 in there.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    id say dont bother with the 283 and get a 5.7l vortec from a chevy truck to put in there. more power and fuel injection all in one plug and play package. i went to the junkyard today here in town and they had three or four of them. if they'd had them when i was in the market for an engine, that's what id have in the scout. try to find s low mile for around $1000, you'll have that much in the 283 by the time you rebuild it.
    you may be right but I want something smaller than a 350-I only have around a 15 gallon tank in my jeep!! you aint kidding about the 350's though-i love the one in my truck