Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: xj to 283 chevy motor swap

well if all you need is motor and tranny mounts, fix that engine and build the mounts, then start breaking axles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yes sir rightaway

that 283 will definitely snap my little 30/35 shafts and smoke my 31's/32's bald!!!!

yeah by the way, why don't you get 4 matching tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    yeah by the way, why don't you get 4 matching tires?
    are you talking about the at's-well its just sitting on those baldies-why get flat spots on my brand new muds? IT DOESNT MOVE ANYWAY

Well all you hardcore 350 guys will be happy. I was going to rebuild the 283 and supe it up a little but it is too far gone!!! parts are undeard of and i would have to bore it out so much i wouldnt have any block left plus it has been rebuilt already and the company is out of business-wonder why!!!! New plans: guy that was rebuilding 283 has a 98 vortec 350 so we are starting over-now time to start stripping the engine compartment to make room for a 350!!!!! Watch out ben you got some competition!!!!

BigRedFord04
    Gerthy!

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasxj
    New plans: guy that was rebuilding 283 has a 98 vortec 350 so we are starting over-now time to start stripping the engine compartment to make room for a 350!!!!! !
    So are you saying that you think you're going to have to "make more room" for a 350 over a 283?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

somewhat more room-bigger heads, all chevy small blocks have the same core size but defitnitely a 350 takes up more space than a 283. plus have to make room for bigger radiator and lots of other cooling stuff

i have swapped a 4.0 in the place of a 2.8v6 in an 85 xj you have to cut out the radiator support from a 4.0 xj and weld it in the place of the 4cyl or v6 support and beat the fire wall back about an inch by the rear of the intake and the cross member holes dont line up either you have to redrill them an make a nut plate to put inside the frame ,,, the front drive shaft will be to short and the rear to long unless you have a doner xj that was a 4.0 need any more info on xj's i only own 5 of them and one mj at this time send me an pm
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasxj
    somewhat more room-bigger heads, all chevy small blocks have the same core size but defitnitely a 350 takes up more space than a 283. plus have to make room for bigger radiator and lots of other cooling stuff
    you have no idea what you're talking about do you? I will bet you 5 million dollars that a 350 has the same exact outer dimensions as a 283.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

savvyaggie
    thanx...

Quote Originally Posted by savvyaggie
    thanx...
    what, you think I'm wrong?

savvyaggie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    what, you think I'm wrong?

no, thanx because I am agreeing(4 pointing that out), there is no difference from a 283-400ci.
    Last edited by savvyaggie; 10-19-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by junior88mj
    i have swapped a 4.0 in the place of a 2.8v6 in an 85 xj you have to cut out the radiator support from a 4.0 xj and weld it in the place of the 4cyl or v6 support and beat the fire wall back about an inch by the rear of the intake and the cross member holes dont line up either you have to redrill them an make a nut plate to put inside the frame ,,, the front drive shaft will be to short and the rear to long unless you have a doner xj that was a 4.0 need any more info on xj's i only own 5 of them and one mj at this time send me an pm
    yep all the stuff is coming out-there is so much wasted space in those compartments. will be getting new custom driveshafts-scrapped np207 and rear pencil driveshaft-with 8-11" of lift i will definitely need new driveshafts