Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 38.5" spare

dreed

38.5" spare

I need a 38.5" tire for use as my spare.

BigRedFord04

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    hey danial, did you get the left and everything installed or what?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Krawler68
    what bolt pattern on the rim? I am thinking about ditching my 38.5x14.50 spare and getting a new 38.5x11.00 bogger spare...

dreed

lift

yes, I finally got it. after years of drooling over big trucks, I finally have one. I got the 5"skyjacker double flex. front and rear trac-locks and 4.56 gears. started on it last week and it will be driveable tomorrow. unfortunately my front driveshaft isnt going to work. the angle is too sharp. it rubs on itself at full drop. what should i do? get a longer driveshaft or will I have to drop the t-case or what? any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    also I amfraid i will have to do a bit of trimming on the fenders. the first time I stuff the tires they will be getting chewed up pretty badly. at least the back will. so I am considering possibly getting a daily driver and taking the bed off the dodge and making it into a full trail rig. but i'm just toying with that idea.we still have to put the sway bar and steering dampener and a couple of other things on, but it is almost done.
    the bolt pattern is classic dodge. i think 5-4.5. I'll check tomorrow though

BigRedFord04
    its 5x5.5...same as Ford and CJs

Re: lift

Originally posted by dreed
    the angle is too sharp. it rubs on itself at full drop. what should i do? get a longer driveshaft or will I have to drop the t-case or what? any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    if you drop the t-case, it will actually increase the angle on the front driveshaft. i would look into getting a CV joint if it doesnt already have one. you can tell if it has one by looking at the end on the transfercase. If it has two u-joints, then it is alread a CV and i am not sure what you would do.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Krawler68
    well Dan if you want my spare 38.5" tire and the rim the goes wit it I'll let them slide for $150

The factory front 'shaft dosen't have a CV. That's the way I'd go.

If it's a regular cab, a dedicated trail rig would be cool. I think an ex. cab would be too long. (been there, done that). Ditch the bed and see if that front 60 is still available. It'll still be vacuum discontect, but the link bracketry should all be the same, and it *should* bolt in. Since you're changing your front shaft anyway, the larger U-joint won't be an issue.

However, this leads to getting a matching rear so the bolt pattern is the same, and it sounds like you already have gears and lockers, so I'm probably getting way ahead of things. If this is the case, disregard everything after the first paragraph.

Oh, if you haven't already, PUT A TRANNY COOLER ON IT!!!

Krawler68
    amen on the tranny cooler part...

dreed
    martin. if the bolt pattern is 5-5.5 I'll take them both. let me know how i can get it. cell #is 972 741 4803.

we didnt have to do any hacking of the fenders and we adjusted the the front end by way of the control arms so it tilted up a little more so that took care of the driveshaft rubbing on itself. then we took it out to 360 today for a little trial run. no breakage on my part and everything worked like a charm. no rubbing, popping, cracking, etc. anywhere. so far I am very happy with it. cant wait to do some of the hard stuff.

thanks for all the input fellas.

dan reed

Originally posted by dreed
    martin. if the bolt pattern is 5-5.5 I'll take them both. let me know how i can get it. cell #is 972 741 4803.

we didnt have to do any hacking of the fenders and we adjusted the the front end by way of the control arms so it tilted up a little more so that took care of the driveshaft rubbing on itself. then we took it out to 360 today for a little trial run. no breakage on my part and everything worked like a charm. no rubbing, popping, cracking, etc. anywhere. so far I am very happy with it. cant wait to do some of the hard stuff.

thanks for all the input fellas.

dan reed
    hey dan....krawler68's name is Doug Kieswetter....Martin is the guy that said that quote.....

also...you got any pics of it? what tires are you running?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

froader03
    sounds awesome dan... send some pics

dreed
    a guy out at 360 was taking a bunch of pics of everybody out there. i gave him my email address so he could send me the pics of my truck. so when he sends them I'll post them. i need to get me a camera so i can get some. so whenever i get any pics I'll post them.

dan

dreed
    to answer you question. i am running 38.5/14.50R15 super swamper sx's with 4.56 gears. so far gas mileage sucks horribly. just dropped to 9.5 mpg average. oh well. it is a blast to drive.

dan