Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zuk Engine Swap

BigRedFord04

Zuk Engine Swap

Sorry that i couldnt make it down last weekend, i hope the bachelor's party was good, as well as Busa's party (I went to the titty bar Friday to make up for not making it).

Anyway...The project is this, Foley (my roommate) bought a 2003 Chevy Tracker from a junkyard in Gainsville for $900. the idea is to use the motor and tranny in his mid `80s Samurai to replace the 1.3L carbed 4cyl and 5 speed manual w/ a 2.5L 24 valve fuel injected V6 an automatic tranny. we were pretty sure it had low mileage but didnt know for sure 'til we got some wiring and power hooked up that it only had 907 miles on it...and no, that wasnt the trip meter, it said 75. we've been working on the Tracker and Suzuki since last Wednesday nite when it showed up, trying to get the engine swap done. Thursday we got it to fire up using a standard chevy fuel pump and a gas can, but had to bypass the evap canister or whatever crap they run the fuel lines thru. By Thursday nite we had the dash completely disassembled and removed so we could get the wiring harness removed and trimmed down. removing the airbags that hadnt exploded kinda made me nervous. Friday we spent the 1st half of the evening chasing wires thru the wiring harness, trimming unecessary crap like electric locks and power windows...then we went and got drunk. Saturday was kinda a slow day chasing wires and recovering. Sunday a couple other buds came out and we got the engines out (which included the front clip of the Zuk), got motor mounts made, and got the new V6 stabbed and bolted in. It required removal of the A/C compressor from the Tracker engine b.c. it would've hit the Jeep saginaw steering box the Zuk is equipped with. Also required slight modifications to the factory chevy exhaust system that was not designed to fit between the significantly narrower frame rails of a suzuki samurai. Still left to do is wire in the engine to the Zuk (we're using the gauge cluster from the Tracker in the Zuk); tube the front end as its not getting its fenders back, just the hood; plumb radiator, tranny cooler, power steering, probably some other crap; and hook up an intermediate shaft. Foley got the tranny x-member made tonite. we're tryin' to bust ass b.c. it will be done before this weekend so we can take it to Hot Springs (i think?)....4WPW is hosting an open event this weekend, and i now know everyone that works at the Plano 4wpw, so me and Foolio are headed down there w/ them.

pics are here: http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album444
    i didnt feel like messing w/ linking any, gotta get up soon.

questions/comments appreciated

b!tches/gripes/complaints/etc can be sent to eatmy@ss.com

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    b!tches/gripes/complaints/etc can be sent to eatmy@ss.com
    link didnt work so i'll just post it here....post whore, you missed one.

sounds like a fun project...
    (psst...airbags are like gold on ebay)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcagg02
    link didnt work so i'll just post it here....post whore, you missed one.
    wtf are you talking about? the fact that i had a bunch of posts within a couple of hours? if you havent noticed, its rare that i can get on the boards daily anymore...before last nite the last time i was on was thursday. besides, i'm pretty sure eric has taken over as club post whore.

anywho...dunno whats on the agenda for tonite, but i think the clutch and the rest of the wiring will be coming out of the Zuk, and we'll probably start tube work. i'll post when pics are up.

hey shouldn't the clutch still be attached to the engine?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

So, what's happenin with the old zuke motor and tranny?

BigRedFord04

^ case in point ^

besides, i'm pretty sure eric has taken over as club post whore.
    i meant clutch pedal, but thx for pointing out my error asshat.

there are still a few things in the dash area that will be removed like the heater box and stuff.

BigRedFord04
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    So, what's happenin with the old zuke motor and tranny?
    i think he's giving it to some guy for a case of beer....do you have a better offer?

usmcagg02
    what axles are y'all gonna be usin in that thing? please tell me its not ones off a fullsize

Little vehicles like jeeps and zukes with fullsize axles look like ****roaches with legs poking out
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Well I'm gonna guess the toyota axles that are under it. But it would be sweet on fullwidths with some 38s.

usmcagg02
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Well I'm gonna guess the toyota axles that are under it.
    is that what comes stock on them? i think regular toyota or jeep width axles would be best option.

is that what comes stock on them?

i meant clutch pedal, but thx for pointing out my error asshat.
    no problem...
    BTW quoting yourself is lame
    besides, i'm pretty sure eric has taken over as club post whore
    damn...I don't wanna be THAT GUY!

is that what comes stock on them? i think regular toyota or jeep width axles would be best option.
    No, they come with samurai axles.

usmcagg02
    ok, then where are you gettin that there are yota axles under it now?