Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: levelling a diesel Excursion's suspension

levelling a diesel Excursion's suspension

My brother has a diesel Excursion that he drives A LOT. He's not very vehicle savvy and noticed that it was starting to feel like it was bottoming out, but didn't think much of it. Turns out the two-leaf pack in the front has inverted from the weight of a Powerstroke and a full replacement Ranch Hand and it looks like the shocks I just put on it for him are sitting at nearly full compression at ride height.

He asked about a small lift when the grill guard went on, but I didn't think much of it. Now it apparently needs some sort of levelling kit or a small lift. He asked me about re-arching the springs, but I've never done anything like that before and the place I called said they could rearch them and add another leaf in for ~$300.

I've been looking around on 4 Wheel Parts' website... I figured that was the easiest place to compare a lot of different manufacturers. It seems that Superlift and ProComp have what he would be interested in.

Superlift makes a 3" front/1.5" rear kit that replaces the front springs and give blocks in the rear.

ProComp has 2" front springs and a rear add-a-leaf.

I haven't called National Spring, but they don't have a website that I could find and I need to get to class before I get too concerned about this.

Does anyone have some personal or close experience with either Superlift or ProComp leaf springs for larger/heavier trucks? I need to figure something out soon, and it has to be able to hold up to a lot of road driving and whatever abuse a dirt road can throw at it.

AgDieseler
    My Superlift springs were very rough. There weren't any teflon slider, and they started to invert.

I can't speak to Pro Comp personally, but if it's like the rest of their line, then he may be less than impressed.

National and Alcan will have the best spring rates with Tuff Country coming in second. Your brother drives a lot, and will probably desire comfort above all else. The extra dollars for better springs will be money well spent.

I think I'm going to talk to National when I get a few minutes...

I didn't know much about Superlift, but I'd guess that the weight of your Suburban on a set is probably the closest comparison I'm going to get...unless Kopecki chimes in since I think he knows of a couple lifted Super Dutys.

I know Jeep ProComp springs aren't too great, but I don't know if any of their other stuff is of the same quality.

ill be your pickup man
    I think I heard somewhere that stock superduty springs raise an Excursion up 2-3" or so. IF so, you should be able to find some pretty easily. I am sure Xtreme Offroad has plenty in their junk pile.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Dodge4x4
    I've never heard anything good about Pro Comp Super Duty/Excursion springs. I've seen several sets go to a negative arch in a matter of months.

I put Superlift rear springs on my old truck and they were pretty good. But then again that was the rear of a half ton. I've heard the Superduty springs are OK.

I know that Edge make a sweet 2.5" mini pack for the front. They ride great, but that is with decent front springs. I don't know what would happen if you put them on worn out ones.

BDS makes some good springs for a vehicle with that much weight in the front, and they have an awsome "no questions asked" warranty. Skyjacker are also good springs, but the Super Duty ones are generally are rough as hell.
    Last edited by Dodge4x4; 09-28-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Most of our superduties have tough country add-a-leafs up front. The stock 2 leaf packs suck, they're soft and wrap bad. They ride good with the add-a-leafs, which give about a 1.5" lift. But I'm not sure if useing them with sagged springs is the best idea. There's a pair of stock F250 springs in my spring pile. Our little F350 now has a pair of F350 rear overload springs under the front packs, lifted it 1.5", rides a little rough, but its a light truck, now has 33s, and is gettin front locker. And I've found that 3" wide F150 rear springs have some leafs in them that look exactly like the add-a-leafs we buy.

BigRedFord04
    i've got 4" skyjacker leaves in the rear of my truck, which in no way compares to the front of an excursion, but it DOES compare to the rear of tate's bronco, which has 4" ProCrap leaves in the back and his is SIGNIFICANTLY softer, which in my experience is typical of ProCrap.

how'd you like that for all one sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    There's a pair of stock F250 springs in my spring pile.
    Would you be willing to part with these so I could toss an add-a-leaf in a decent set of springs instead of his worn out ones? Then I guess I could make the rear match with a smaller add-a-leaf and be done with it for a while.

I'll check with the owner. It may take a little cash to convince him to part with them.

Just throw some heavy stuff in the back of the excursion and slam that *****
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

cash or Keystone...let me know...

Shaggy
    ya i got the procomp rear springs.. they are softer/cheaper than skyjacker... they flex like mad... work well for what i wanted... but i would never use them in a really heavy vehicle

True Hollywood Stry
    hey brett did you check corpus christi spring, they make all kinds of springs and stuff,i dont know if they are still open but i got a price a couple years ago from them re arch the springs on my waggy with a add a leaf, and i think it was only like 250 for all four corners if i had the springs off. you might give them a holler.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    the place I called said they could rearch them and add another leaf in for ~$300.
    I called them.

I have always heard good things about the edge stuff for super duties.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller