Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Got Wood?

AgDieseler

Anybody Got Wood?

I'm going to get a new driveshaft since mine is bent, and I have been looking at one from Tom Woods.

I remember Lynda having one, but does anybody else have experience with them? Quality? Customer service?

I have a 6 states driveshaft that tom built, and it looks just like the one driveshaft king did for me. Why not go local? They are all pretty much the same but with a local shop you have less potential for customer service problems.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    I had a driveshaft made for my bronco by tom woods that uses 1350 u joints and i love it, but robert is right local driveline shops do just as good of for for nearly the same price. YES, driveshaft king does awesome work

I gotta gotta woodies...

Have two. No complaints.

-Mark and his '85 CJ "Norm" (who is actually the one sporting wood)
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Tom Woods did a great job for me. Pricey, but a reat job nonetheless. They do have a lifetime warranty, which I have used once with no complaints. Not sure what kind of warranty a local shop would offer.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

AgDieseler
    I mention Tom Woods because I'm looking at the CV slip shaft. I haven't seen that offered at Driveshaft King (where my current one was made) or Inland Truck.

AgDieseler
    Ordered a 1350 CV slip shaft, 3.5" diameter. Should be here Friday. 57 5/8" long!

TXsizeK5
    I bought my wood used for pretty good price.
    My wood leaks.

Other than the leak out of a slipyoke plug sort-of thing, it is an awesome shaft, and I've talked to customer service once and they seemed very friendly and willing.
    Last edited by TXsizeK5; 10-05-2004 at 12:02 PM.

I spent a bundle at HighAngleDriveline with Jess but both of my shafts are hella stout. I don't know all of the numbers, but I replaced yokes to run larger than 1 ton stock ones. CV in the rear and LONG travel in the front. They've held up to my mild beatings so far, but most problems I've seen with driveshafts were caused by hitting them on rocks. The reaction to that is probably the same no matter where you get them.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    Ordered a 1350 CV slip shaft, 3.5" diameter. Should be here Friday. 57 5/8" long!
    I just measured to get mine retubed... It's going from 21.5" long to 27" long.

You got a big woody coming your way pal!

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by davido
    ...most problems I've seen with driveshafts were caused by hitting them on rocks. The reaction to that is probably the same no matter where you get them.
    Yeah, this CV shaft was so damned expensive that it will never see the trail. I will re-tube my current shaft with 1/4" wall stuff and have a trail shaft. That's just what I need - more **** in the back of the truck on the trail.

My rear driveshaft is 2.375 OD .188 wall. Its been hit hard enough to pop 2 poly tranny mounts, and it still doesn't shake.

sch40?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

No, some odd stuff, I think sch60. It was pretty. Sch40 is only .154 in that size.

AgDieseler
    I may look into regular pipe like sch80 or something, but if I can find a deal on DOM, then that's what I'll do. Steel prices are a little high right now, and the burban isn't going to hit the trail until the front 60 is in, so there's not a big hurry.