Thread: New storage rack for the burban

AgDieseler

New storage rack for the burban

Looking for a semi-permanent solution to storing a full size 35" spare and a full complement of trail tools, I used the base of a subrban 3rd row seat and built a carrier of sorts. About two years have gone by, and the rack has proved that, in fact, it was designed to haul people; not tires and tools. It's in sad shape. So began the redesign process.

It will be of a "double-decker" design. Two 29"x11.25"x12" storage boxes will occupy the lower deck along with the 15 lb CO2 bottle stored at an angle. The upper deck will hold the spare tire, Hi-Lift, and the shovel/axe combo. The rack will also have a spot for storing a winch bag, pintle hook, 2" ball hitch, and some other small stuff. It will also have a lot more bracing than the first rack did. I have kept the clips than use the floor mounts, so the rack will remain removeable. I chose 1"x1/8" square tube.

I'll update this thread as progress is made.

I'm working on it tonight, and I should pretty much finish it. Here's what I have done so far:

AgDieseler

What a long night

I nearly finished, but fatigue caught up with me, and I just couldn't push it any further.

The rest won't take long now.

usmcagg02
    not bad, will that be an external mount? or in the very back of the sub?

damn dave, that turned out good!
    Did you re-use the spring latch from the seat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Why didnt you just mount the CO2 tank standing straight up? Tire clearance?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    ...Tire clearance?
    Yup. I had it mounted vertically on the last rack, but that tank weighs 36 lbs when full, and that creates a big moment arm. That came out to a lot of squeaks. The tank has to be removed to use it, so storing it with an angle is okay.

I did reuse the seat hardware, so it just clips in the factory 3rd row seat location.

I'll snap another pic with it all loaded up.

BigRedFord04
    this is about as of a thread as i'd expect in tech from you dave

j/k i actually like that you used the factory clips to hold it down...neato...

i also noticed that your 1st post this morning was at 6am...did you stay up all nite working on it? how long did your meticulous ass take to build that thing?

fancy

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    ...i also noticed that your 1st post this morning was at 6am...did you stay up all nite working on it? how long did your meticulous ass take to build that thing?

fancy
    You spotted that? Yeah, I was at the shop until 5:30. Total time invested: 20 hrs. Total material used: ~60 ft of square tube.

I wrapped it up today. It's a little tall, but who needs to see out the rear window anyway? I don't think I'll keep this configuration for long. The tire will probably be lowered a great deal, but I had to get the stuff put together since I can't leave stuff up at the shop.

Done for now:

looks good...Rear view mirrors are overrated anyway
    Cody Ainsworth || FTAC '05 || '91 YJ
    4.0, SOA, 36" IROKs, D30/F8.8, LockRight/Detroit, 4.56s, Hydro-Assist, fullcage, TJ flares, blah blah blah.
    www.Jeeps-Offroad.com || Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Cody_91YJ
    looks good...Rear view mirrors are overrated anyway
    I agree. Mine fell off like 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten around to gluing the stupid thing back on.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Yea mine fell off the jeep, so I stuck my parking pass in the windshield seal below where its supposed to be, and the sum*****es gave me a ticket.

freakin cool!
    I need a rearview to pass inspection
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools