Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: State Inspection information needed

jwingfield2k

State Inspection information needed

Can anyone provide me with a link for Texas State Inspection Requirements, in case I want to make my rig street legal- I would like to know what it takes.

Thanks guys.

I think we can sum it up and say basically everything it doesnt have...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

jwingfield2k
    Funny man.

No seriously. Brake lights, and headlights. But I know there are rules on the distance off the ground they can be.

Such things as if I don't have a bed, will I have to have mud flaps.

Legal ruling on fenders, hood, doors. Side mirrors...

BigRedFord04
    i used to be a certified inspector, and i dont think much has changed with the exception of emissions BS. i just figured i'd wait to see if anyone posted anything useful before i said anything....

the headlights can be no more than 54" off the ground, not something anybody here should have to worry about. that is the only height requirement. you technically only have to have one mirror (doesnt matter if its one of the side ones, or a rearview), this is how Jeep guys can get away w/ taking the mirrors off w/ the doors. you do not have to have a windsheild, but you do have to have a windsheild wiper. all the lights must work (i.e. headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals front and rear, backup lights, and a license plate light...i'm not certain if you have to have high and low beams). there are no mud flap laws in Texas on non-18 wheeler vehicles, so you would not have to have a bed. adam got away w/ this no problem. oh...and you have to have a working parking brake...doesnt have to work well...just well enough for it not to roll down a small incline. tire tread wont usually get checked as long as its not obviously bad. you have to have a horn. you have to have insurance on it. you can have nothing that sticks out from the body more than 6" on the passenger side, and more than 3" on the driver's side, with the exception of mirrors, this was specifically included to refer to tires, otherwise, you have to have fender flares. front widows cannot be tinted more than 5%. if it came factory w/ a y-pipe, it should be there, but unless you're running glasspacks/cherrybombs they probably wont look.

all of that is "by the book"....which most people dont pay a whole lot of attention to, and getting an inspection sticker has never really been difficult for those of us w/ a few technicalities. usually even if you go to a straight dealing shop, and are cool w/ the guy inspecting it, he'll pass it....just make note to him that its mainly an off-road vehicle. when i got nix's truck inspected it was scary as sh!t, and unsafe to drive on the street...but i told him i just needed an inspection so i could park it on the street w/o getting grief from the city. he was understanding of that excuse. dont sweat it too much, someone will have a hookup.

aggieblazer07
    what is the rule about doors?

You DO realize this is Texas..right. There are some ****ty vehicles driving down the road..

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Side mirrors aren't req, but a rearview is I believe..

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    im an inspector all u need is good tires legal exhaust and all ur lights and horn workin then some various other things and ur good to go
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

I haven't measured but my headlights and bumpers are prety damn high and I've passed inspection once, but that was before I put the body lift and new bumper on. I think the rules are "loosely" inforced. I dont have an ebrake I hope they dont notice when I get inspected...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

gotta have an e-brake
    thats the first thing i check for and the most common thing a i fail people for
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

sshhhiittttt I have rear disks

jwingfield2k
    RCcola55: wanna give me an inspection then.

I'm only lacking lights (easy to fix), horn (easy to fix), and some type of fenders (need to find a way around that).

Are you in the CS area? I think this would be a fun thing to drive around town in.

How much are inspections anyways? 50 bux?

BigRedFord04
    i think if RC does it for you and passes that thing, then yes, they are $50.

BigRedFord04
    i know what you're talking about Ryan, but, high enough for what?

jwingfield2k
    For stuff on the floorboard not to roll out and fly down the road. Jeeps have that little lip on the side so stuff wont roll out onto the road.

My emissions and exhaust system should be up to par. mechanically this thing seems to be in good shape, cosmetically it sucks.

i work at the Kwik Kar off of wellborn and rock praire ill be there all week 2-6 execpt on monday, the state for an inspection is $12.50, but depending on how much isnt quite up to par the price could go up, you might want to bring it by me apartment before hand so i can "inspect" then come up to the shop so u can get ur sticker b
    Last edited by RCcola55; 10-17-2004 at 08:54 PM.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901