Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 350 rebuild kits?

funk that ****, buy a 5.3 for $1500 bucks or less and have aluminum heads, coil per cylinder, etc.... and then you can also brag about your "LS-1"
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Violentv8toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Ok, here we go.

As far as rebuilding a smallblock, a $1000 budget is fairly slim. Not to say it can't be done for that, but saying that you aren't going to get the components you might want or you might have to reuse some parts you might not want to.

Starting with machine work, that is going to be where a good chunk of your budget is going to be blown. Expect to spend anywhere from $500-1200 depending on parts used and whether or not the machine shop does the assembly work. I know you can get out of a machine shop a whole lot cheaper if they don't do the assembly work. But, I wouldn't suggest doing the assembly yourself unless you have done it before or you have the help of someone with a good amount of experience.

Let's just say you do the cleaning, checking of clearances and end-gap, and the assembly yourself. With vatting and magnafluxing the block, boring the cylinders, line boring the crank journals, new pistons installed on the rods, rod and crank bearings, cam bearings pressed in the block, freeze plugs pressed in the block, heads checked and fluxed, and valve seats reground, you're probably going to get out for $500-600.

Let's also say you let them assemble it, labor and parts, you aren't getting an assembled long block out of there for under around $950 unless you are slobbin the machinists knob.

Now moving on to what needs to be put in it. Usually, a motor that is up the miles is going to need the block bored and the crank turned. Bsically, most of the time reboring and turning of the crank usually turn out to be a .030 bore, and a .010 under crank. So obviously, you'll need .030 pistons and .010 over bearings.

Oh yeah, an intake manifold, just run some sort of aluminum 4bbl DUAL plane intake. Do not run a single plane. It will have better throttle response and low end torque on that type of motor, and with a $40 adapter plate, you can bolt a TBI throttle body right on top of it.

First of all, excellent info...thanks.

I plan on doing everything myself with the help of 2 friends and my dad...they've rebuilt SBs BBs with great success, so i should be good in the assembly dept. I'll have to get the crank turned at a machine shop, and rebored if i need it. I don't think im gonna use any other heads than the ones that are already on the engine. Whats the diference between a dual plane and single plane intake?

EDIT: nm, i figured it out.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 10-20-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    edebrock performer....as in....carbuerator intake? WTF? if you're going to build an engine for crawling for jebus sake put some fukking fuel injection on it. spend less on the guts if you have to...a plain jane stock 350 is more than enough to throw a toyota around....if you can keep it running on an incline.
    I'm running a q-jet and it runs on its side. And best of all, it's alot cheaper and easyer to mess with than FI .
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

I agree that a q-jet will run on it's side, I disagree that it will run standing on your back bumper, downhill it runs pretty good. Anyone that says their carb runs just great has not had fuel injection on the same motor. That TBI woke my engine up, no more stuttering, better top end, better mileage, and I noticed this all in the one week I drove it prior to rolling I also agree with the cheaper part, but it is not easier to mess with than a closed loop system, adjusting when you go to a different altitude, having to rebuild that damn thing in a bathroom in Las Cruces, even when it ran fine when we left. I liked the q-jet over the thermoquad that came on the scout, but it fails miserably to TBI. I am sure you were expecting some outlash like this, so I digress...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

BigRedFord04
    if you're going to have the machine work done in CS, stay away from Cooks (the NAPA in Bryan)....they're pretty unreliable. i used to work for Vilas and know they do a pretty good job. they rebuilt the motor in my truck before i worked there and its got ~25,000 miles on it...no internal problems. they're really good about working with you on exactly what machining you need and what "could" be done...just tell them you're a poor college student and they'll understand.

now...as much fun as you'll miss out on by rebuilding this and ordering lots of parts and paying for stuff etc etc etc....i've gotta halfway agree w/ jimmy....why not look for a running motor you can spend $1000 on and have it in within a week? kinda bypasses all the BS, and its not like a carbed 350 is hard to find.

Violentv8toy
    I don't know why. I probably should. You know anywhere that has a good running 350 short block that will last me the next 20k miles without significant maint.?

If not, thats fine. I kinda want to rebuild an engine to ease my curiousity.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 10-21-2004 at 03:45 AM.

try the thrifty nickel and houston chronicle classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    ----------------------
    5.7L (350 cid) for sale

Location San Antonio, TX, (Northwest side)
    Price $300
    Basically a stock '78 350 with:

cam - Cam Dynamics Energizer P/n 10003
    aluminum Intake - Edelbrock Performer Model 2101
    carburetor - Edelbrock 600cfm Model 1406 w/ electric choke
    ignition - GM HEI, dist replaced about 3 yrs ago

All top hardware included, some front brackets included
    Flex plate included

Engine was balanced when rebuilt. Have receipts for all parts and work.

Engine is in vehicle now, can see it run and drive. It is used as daily driver. Blows a puff of blue smoke at startup. Otherwise no problems.

We will be removing engine in two weeks to install 5.7L TBI engine.
    ---------------------------------

what do yall think about this? I figure even the top end would be worth buying....

what do yall think is with this "blue smoke at startup" ?

Vavle guides/seats? How much would it be to replace those?
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 10-25-2004 at 12:21 AM.

BigRedFord04
    if you're going to buy one, hold out for something w/ TBI...you've already got a carbed 350. also, i couldnt justify buying something with known problems already.

Violentv8toy
    im not going TBI...at least not right now. I don't have all the parts for it.

Thing is with this, If i fix the blue smoke problem...i'll still come out ahead cause my present v8 runs like **** and leaks all over hell....still. My rear main is starting to leak as well as the intake manifold. near the distibutor....again. I'm also starting to hear a knock at about 900rpm internally near the starter. If i get this engine, i'll be able to put in a good engine in that has 12k on the rebuild. All i'll have to rebuild is my tranny and fix my front axle and i'll be good to go hopefully.

Ben97XJ
    But you could probably find one with TBI already set up. Then you would have all of the parts. It wouldn't cost much more if you find one in a yard to pick up the whole setup.

where's jason been?
    he always talks about a yard with lots of TBI 350s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Everyone with their EFI bandwagon
    Fuel injection is nice but if he is doing this himself how much easyer is it going to be going with a carb. If he gets a TBI out of a yard he better pray that the wiring harness has not been molested...what are the chances of that in a junkyard. Do a search for the problems on this board that people have had with their injected motors. I'm running a q-jet straight out of the box with non of those special mods and I have never once sat at the bottom of a climb wishing I had FI. I've been on my side and I've sat it on the rear bumper with it running. Hell, I've had people in this club think I had FI. I do get ****ty gas mileage with no help from the carb but if I wanted good mileage I would have bought a ricer. I have no problem with playing with my engine and screwing with it but there is no way in hell I would touch blingity injected motor, too many sensors and wires to mess up.
    my $.08

Joseph
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

BigRedFord04
    y'all is some stubborn b!tches

The only ones that have had problems are the projuections. I don't think anyone can uckup wireing a TBI 350. Most stereos have more wires. And I think Cody had one for sell with an aftermarket harness for $500, maybe he still gots it.