Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 350 rebuild kits?

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr
    ...if I wanted good mileage I would have bought a ricer.
    you did
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    you did
    sounds like one too
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Everyone with their EFI bandwagon
    Fuel injection is nice but if he is doing this himself how much easyer is it going to be going with a carb. If he gets a TBI out of a yard he better pray that the wiring harness has not been molested...what are the chances of that in a junkyard. Do a search for the problems on this board that people have had with their injected motors. I'm running a q-jet straight out of the box with non of those special mods and I have never once sat at the bottom of a climb wishing I had FI. I've been on my side and I've sat it on the rear bumper with it running. Hell, I've had people in this club think I had FI. I do get ****ty gas mileage with no help from the carb but if I wanted good mileage I would have bought a ricer. I have no problem with playing with my engine and screwing with it but there is no way in hell I would touch blingity injected motor, too many sensors and wires to mess up.
    my $.08

Joseph
    You are seriously in denial if you think your carb is worth a ****. Also, don't knock what you don't understand. Fuel Injection is extremely reliable when done correctly, and it's not that hard to do.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Denial? No, I'd just rather save a few bucks on that and spend it somewhere else. Your right though. My carb is not worth a ****...thanks for informing me since I have no idea. You know more about my engine then I do. I'm a fawking dumbass. Thank you
    I'm not knocking FI. Your knocking carbs. Fuel injection is great but not necessary. Would I like it...yes. Do I need it...no. Did you know there are comp rigs running carbs. Carbs work if done right too...just a fraction of the price. If he is rebuilding his entire drivetrain then he might want to save some money on the motor and use it for that. Maybe I'm out of touch. If you guys have the extra cash then go for it. I'm just someone that tries/has to save the extra money were I can. I'd rather gear lower then inject mine since my gearing is the limiting factor where I go, not the motor.
    You guys get to uptight...have a beer before you post
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I don't know why you think Fuel Injection is so expensive. I think I have right at $250 in my entire setup on my truck. You find me a performance carb for less than $250 and put it on the same angles as a TBI motor and see which one you like better. I have wheeled with q-jets and I've rebuilt them in the campground bathroom at 11pm just to make an attempt at getting it to run worth a damn at alltitude. They blow monkey weenie. I will never own a vehicle with a carb again. As far as comp buggies running carbs, yeah, I've seen that too. They are usually the rigs with the biggest and baddest batteries and starters too, and they are usually at the bottom of the rankings.

By the way, I'd drink beer at work, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like it.
    Last edited by Fredo; 10-25-2004 at 01:50 PM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

I see where your coming from. You can install and work on it yourself, which is great. If I could do that I'd have no problems with injection. I'm just saying for someone like me that doesn't know much about FI, atleast to install it, would have to pay someone else to do it. Thats where the price difference is. So I change my statement. If you can do it yourself or with the help of someone for cost of parts then go for it. I'm still sticking with my old school setup till I win the lotto and get a GM Performance ZZ 383

Violentv8toy
    Im not going fuel injection right now...i know its badass and all, i had it at one time too.....but lemme get the fawker in a wheelable state first.

I've gotta go to San Marcus this weekend, so I guess i'll go drive it and take a look see at it....if it runs good, i'm gonna buy it. He said it puffs blue for 2-3 seconds on a cold startup but thats it. I'll look into getting that fixed too.

Since i'll have a ready engine...does anyone have a cherry picker i could possibly use for a weekend as well as a flat slab of cement? I'm sure i won't need more than 2 days.

BigRedFord04
    I see where your coming from. You can install and work on it yourself, which is great. If I could do that I'd have no problems with injection. I'm just saying for someone like me that doesn't know much about FI, atleast to install it, would have to pay someone else to do it. Thats where the price difference is. So I change my statement. If you can do it yourself or with the help of someone for cost of parts then go for it. I'm still sticking with my old school setup till I win the lotto and get a GM Performance ZZ 383
    did you pay people to build your entire rig? why not learn something new? cuz i'm pretty sure thats how most of us got our rigs to the state they are in today...learning, trying, and doing. i'm sure someone would be more than willing to help you set it up...and theres this newfangled thing out there called the internet....GREAT resource for info from people who have already done it.

i still think you're all just stubborn.

mario...IF...and thats a huge IF, you can find a TBI 350 for the right price would you run it? why not build it right the 1st time and save yourself having to do it all over again later? you're replacing the engine anyway right? i just think it'd be better for you in the long run, and you'll be happier w/ it in the end...i only say that b.c. i know how much trouble your carbed 350 gave you in Katemcy (when i only had 2 wheel drive). dunno how much of that was caused by the carb, but TBI is just so easy to work with if you're willing to learn it, and really reliable...i hear Jimmy's Scout was running upsidedown w/ TBI.

Violentv8toy
    yeah....if i could find a TBI 350 for 400-500 with less than 100k and in good shape, i'd buy it. I'm just trying to get out of the hole i put myself in prior to this. I just need it so it will 4wheel. I'm not gonna work on the toy forever...next project i won't butcher so bad and it will have FI and all that.

and at katemcy...it ran really great after changing the intake manifold gasket and plugs...then i shut it off and started it back up and it developed a miss and it just grew and grew. I don't know what the deal is. It doesn't eat plugs anymore and doesn't run rich, but it doesn't feel like a v8 should and it leaks and leaks and leaks. I just got fawked on a bad engine deal in the past and I'll be much happier when i rebuild a different engine or buy one that runs good now that I know what the hell im looking for in a v8. Point is, I don't need FI to 4wheel. its nice, i know...but i can live without it.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 10-25-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    did you pay people to build your entire rig? why not learn something new? cuz i'm pretty sure thats how most of us got our rigs to the state they are in today...learning, trying, and doing. i'm sure someone would be more than willing to help you set it up...and theres this newfangled thing out there called the internet....GREAT resource for info from people who have already done it.

i still think you're all just stubborn.

No, Just the stuff that I couldnt do. Hard to do a springover with nothing more than jb weld. If I had the tools I would do it. This weekend I'm pulling out my busted birf and replacing it (unless someone would like to do it for $$$...kidding). When someone was working on it for me I was up there as much as I could being a pain trying to see whats going on. Ask Matt at WTOR and I promise you that he'll tell you I was the most annoying but patient guy hes worked with. I already said fuel injection is the way to go if you can do it, hows that stubborn. I didn't go that route because I don't know jack about it. I would have and still would like to learn, but would have had to still pay someone to do it and learn from them. I'm not about to spend a few K and try to put it together from what I've read on the net. I don't have the money to fix what I screw up.
    My rig was built the like most of the rest. I read up and watched what worked and tried to fit it to mine.
    Ending hijack

Violentv8toy
    hijack if u want....i bought it.

Violentv8toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Violentv8toy
    Since i'll have a ready engine...does anyone have a cherry picker i could possibly use for a weekend as well as a flat slab of cement? I'm sure i won't need more than 2 days.

Engine is gonna be in my possession late saturday night.

Does anyone have a spot i can borrow for saturday and sunday? I'll pull the engine saturday and put the new one in on sunday. I'll pay $$.

EDIT: of next week....week of the 13th.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 11-05-2004 at 07:22 PM.