Thread: Serpentine belt squeal

Serpentine belt squeal

My serpentine belt squeals when I start the ZJ with the a/c on, but not when the a/c is off. Also, it only does it when I starting it after its been sitting for a good while. Could the belt be loose or too tight? The compressor mounts loose? The pullys look in line to the naked eye. If I let it squeal and rev the engine, I can smell the belt burning. But I can't find where the problem exactly is. Any ideas? It's pissing me off.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

try getting a new belt-if that doesnt work-clean the new one up and take it back and start looking at other stuff.
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

Mine used to do that, I sprayed the **** out of the A/C clutch with oil. It'd go away for a while...then it eventually went away.

Ben97XJ
    Mine did that too i tried everything but a new belt fixed it. Belt dressing doesn't do ****. And don't break your belt tensioner when you replace it. Its a *****.

BigRedFord04
    serp belts usually dont get loose unless there is a problem w/ the tensioner. i'd try what Kasey suggested and spray the clutch w/ WD40 or the like. usually the only thing that makes a serp belt squeal like that is something not turning...in this case, probably the A/C clutch. mine's made that noise twice, 1st time the idler pulley froze up, the 2nd time the smog pump froze up. both times a wonderfull burning rubber aroma from the engine compartment. have someone start it while you watch and see if the A/C clutch is turning.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFord04
    have someone start it while you watch and see if the A/C clutch is turning.
    I looked at it while it was running. The clutch was engaged and turning.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

BigRedFord04
    was it still squealing?

if it happens on startup and goes away pretty quickly it's probably just condensation on the belt
    you should take it to the dealer and ask them to replace the belt, idler, a/c clutch and check your alternator and kanuter bearing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools